Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

USA retail box set

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
I received a Topps USA retail box set as a gift - marked $9.99 on the box - I'm pretty sure it was purchased from a Target or some similar retail store [Walmart maybe].

For ten bucks, it likely doesn't have the guaranteed hits, but it is odd that it is the first time I've seen it.

topprospectalert

Aug 7, 2008
Did you break it? Whats inside. Didnt know these were retail. Maybe that's where the 16-u Patch Auto /50's and 16-u Jersey Auto's that haven't shown up are hiding.

pgwtamu

Feb 13, 2009
yeah, I saw those at target...thought about biting on one, but didn't see any odds written on there anywhere, so didn't want to take the chance.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
These have no hits at all, just the base set.

topprospectalert said:
Did you break it? Whats inside. Didnt know these were retail. Maybe that's where the 16-u Patch Auto /50's and 16-u Jersey Auto's that haven't shown up are hiding.

topprospectalert

Aug 7, 2008
Wow. You'd think they'd toss a jersey or something in there. Cheap buy for the IP Auto guys that don't want to pay $100 a box I guess.

Jul 30, 2009
I honestly cant imagine this being a winner on the retail side, and it has nothing to do with the fact theres no gu or autos.

Can you imagine a reg. collector buying a set and asking himself "who in the world are these players?" No mlb teams or players or logos to be found.

The avg. guy will have no clue at all who these kids are and Im sure most of them would never buy another one or even suggest to a friend to buy one.

Russ S.

Aug 10, 2008
VA / DC / MD
Lars said:
These have no hits at all, just the base set.

topprospectalert said:
The Rendon card alone pays for half the box. Not a bad buy.

Crash Davis

Aug 19, 2008
011873 said:
I honestly cant imagine this being a winner on the retail side, and it has nothing to do with the fact theres no gu or autos.

Can you imagine a reg. collector buying a set and asking himself "who in the world are these players?" No mlb teams or players or logos to be found.

The avg. guy will have no clue at all who these kids are and Im sure most of them would never buy another one or even suggest to a friend to buy one.

They're $9.99.

Relax.

justinmandawg

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas City
Crash Davis said:
011873 said:

They're $9.99.

Relax.

Riding in to save the day, it's the aploligist.

Crash Davis

Aug 19, 2008
justinmandawg said:
Crash Davis said:
011873 said:

They're $9.99.

Relax.

What is an "aploligist?"

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
While the average retail buyer will have no clue who any of these players are, it doesn't negate possible interest in this set. The team sets alone appear to be selling for over $10 on average, so it's hardly a bad buy.

Are you going to make a killing flipping it? No, but the draft is coming soon enough and the singles of the first-rounders could draw some interest, especially the Rendon single.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Sweet. As a set collector, I had zero interest in spending $100 for a bunch of auto'd and game used cards. $10 is a lot better.

Crash Davis

Aug 19, 2008
JoshHamilton said:
Sweet. As a set collector, I had zero interest in spending $100 for a bunch of auto'd and game used cards. $10 is a lot better.

I know that we don't agree on much, but I am happy that you posted this.

For some it appears hard to believe that people still collect cards for fun and not for profit.

justinmandawg

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas City
Ooo
Crash Davis said:
justinmandawg said:
[quote="Crash Davis":z9gowsdj]
011873 said:
K

They're $9.99.

Relax.

What is an "aploligist?"[/quote:z9gowsdj]
Using my phone. Nothing better than spelling smack.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
justinmandawg said:
Ooo
Crash Davis said:
justinmandawg said:
[quote="Crash Davis":y9jylxdk]
011873 said:
K

They're $9.99.

Relax.

What is an "aploligist?"
Using my phone. Nothing better than spelling smack.[/quote:y9jylxdk]
Justin...did you know you spelled "dog" "dawg" in your username?

Mr.Whipple

Banned
Apr 19, 2009
Joisey
Crash Davis said:
JoshHamilton said:

For some it appears hard to believe that people still collect cards for fun and not for profit.

How long did the PR department wait for a post like JoshHamiltons, So you could run with that response?

"Omg..Omg..Omg..Someone is ok with the usa retail set, Use the cards can be for fun and not profit line we came up with the last brain storm session"

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Crash Davis said:
JoshHamilton said:

I collect for fun. The only time I ever complain is when cards are damaged out of the pack or guaranteed hits are missing. There is no excuse for that.

I have over 500 complete sets. That's my main collecting focus. Just bought the USA set. Not quite as nice as UD (I prefer full bleed photos), but UD never offered their sets for 10 bucks. Cards look nicely designed and condition was great

Topps did screw up again, although it's extremely minute. The box says 62 cards. There are actually 65. Nothing major, but seriously Topps? You don't know how many cards are in a set you created?

jalfes17

Dec 27, 2010
Yeah, just bought one of these, amazing deal. You'll get all the base of top players for the 2011 draft. I would highly recommend it!

Jul 30, 2009
Crash Davis said:
011873 said:

They're $9.99.

Relax.

You should re read what I wrote, did I make mention of anything about the price?
But like usual, I accept your apology in advance.
And do something about hiding your raging hard on for topps, its really annoying.

Latest posts