Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Attention all Alfredo Griffin fans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
In one fell swoop, I have purchased (according to Beckett) every known Alfredo Griffin 1/1, buyback, and serial numbered card(s). :lol:

!B-ur5rQBGk~$(KGrHqYOKjQEzPMOnL8WBM9i1)FSlQ~~_3.jpg

That's gotta be some sort of record - a player who played 18 seasons with only 1 serial numbered card.

I have no idea why I bought this card other than I like 1980 Topps (first year I collected), I like the 2005 Topps Rookie Cup Relic cards, and it was only $12.50.

Anybody have any memories of this guy?

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
In 1984 his teammate Damaso Garcia was elected to the All Star game and brought Griffin along. Alan Trammell gets an injury to his arm the day of the All Star game and because Griffin was their and a SS, he was named to replace him. That was his only All Star selection. He was on4 World Series champions which is very impressive

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
That's pretty cool. I like those cards, too,still looking for a Bake McBride. I don't recall too much about Griffin, but there's a great stirrup on him, IIRC, in Bill James's New Historical Abstract. He talks about all the incredible running plays he made, going from first to third or second to home on infield groundouts and sac flies and such. Apparently he just ran until there was a real reason to stop.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Other fun facts: was co-ROY in AL in 1979, the only year with a tie (with John Castino, Twins); was said to have "manos dulce" (sweet hands) by Dominican Republic reporters; that 84 All-Star appearance came in arguably his worst season; had horrible plate discipline - walked only 4 times in 1984; was the player pinch-hit for by Kirk Gibson for dramatic 1988 Game 1 World Series homerun; was on deck when Joe Carter hit the series winning home run off Mitch Williams in the 1993 World Series; all time great Chris Berman nickname: Fettuccini Alfredo Griffin; Blue Jays all time leader in sacrifice hits

JEBJJA

Aug 11, 2008
South Jersey- Near Philly
I remember they used to call him "Fettuccini Alfredo" Griffin.....the Blue Jays had some great players back then between Griffin, George Bell, Jesse Barfield, Damaso Garcia and some others.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
was on deck when Joe Carter hit the series winning home run off Mitch Williams in the 1993 World Series;

That's my most vivid memory of Griffin. I was at the game and turned to my dad and said, "Cito will pinch hit for him, right?" My dad replied, "you never know with Cito". Sure enough, Gaston mentioned later that Griffin would have hit for himself. Had Carter not at least tied the game, there'd have almost certainly been a Game 7.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
JEBJJA said:
I remember they used to call him "Fettuccini Alfredo" Griffin.....the Blue Jays had some great players back then between Griffin, George Bell, Jesse Barfield, Damaso Garcia and some others.
Dont forget La Cabeza! Tony Fernandez.

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
Very cool pick up Brad, congrats! I'm a fan of the Rookie Cup relics as well. If I could land one of Adam Dunn and Chris Sabo for my collection, that would be great. :D

Crazy that is his only serial numbered card.

Members online

Latest posts