Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Anyone know where to go to move a collection?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
It's been something I have been toying with due to bills and busyness moving my interests away from cards. To sell everything myself is more work than I'm up for right now (and I'm not really set up to move bulk) but at the current time I think I'd like to at least get a feel for what it might be worth (actually worth, meaning what someone would pay for it today.)

If someone could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

Liberate Baltimore

Jun 2, 2009
Columbia, Maryland
Depending on value, consigning to a major auction house could be a good move. 1.) They do all the work; 2.) The consignment rate is nearly on par with ebay/paypal fees; 3.) Their bidders are all pre-approved and 4.) Prices realized are generally on par, if not better than ebay.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
Put it all on consignment with a reputable Ebay seller (like boomo) or with someone who travels the show circuit, if you know someone like that. I also remember rainmanesq, i believe her name was, that also was taking large ebay collection consignments.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
Liberate Baltimore said:
Depending on value, consigning to a major auction house could be a good move. 1.) They do all the work; 2.) The consignment rate is nearly on par with ebay/paypal fees; 3.) Their bidders are all pre-approved and 4.) Prices realized are generally on par, if not better than ebay.

Does a major auction house, like the one you work for, deal with modern stuff that isn't really high-end/expensive? What $$$ limit do you put on consignment cards?

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
darrend505 said:
What are you trying to move?
My collection is primary RC Auto's, though I also have some nice other items.

Few highlights:
Lester RC Auto collection including Red Ref. 1/1, BC Printing Plate Auto, 2 Gold Ref Auto's, 2 Blue Ref Auto's and another 15-20 lesser RC Auto's and parallels

Carl Crawford RC Auto collection including roughly 14 TT Auto BGS 9.5's, a PSA 10 and a bunch of raw RC Auto's.

High end RC Auto's including, Pujols SPx, Wright BC Xfractor PSA 10, Fielder Ultimate RC Autos, etc.

HOF stuff including, Mantle APOH 500, 2 Williams APOH 500, etc, book auto'd Mantle, Mays, Aaron etc.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
stevezimmer22 said:
Nikobaseball said:

+1
Looks like this is a popular choice. I am going to think about this, but will probably send him a pm and see what he can do.

Thanks guys.

If anyone else has another angle I'd appreciate any input.

Liberate Baltimore

Jun 2, 2009
Columbia, Maryland
G $MONEY$ said:
[quote="Liberate Baltimore":1o2gn69z]Depending on value, consigning to a major auction house could be a good move. 1.) They do all the work; 2.) The consignment rate is nearly on par with ebay/paypal fees; 3.) Their bidders are all pre-approved and 4.) Prices realized are generally on par, if not better than ebay.

Does a major auction house, like the one you work for, deal with modern stuff that isn't really high-end/expensive? Like would you guys sell a bunch of $10-$30 cards?[/quote:1o2gn69z]

We do. Usually we make themed lots that will achieve at least $500. It's worked very well for us and a good resource.

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island
Topnotchsy said:
darrend505 said:

Few highlights:
Lester RC Auto collection including Red Ref. 1/1, BC Printing Plate Auto, 2 Gold Ref Auto's, 2 Blue Ref Auto's and another 15-20 lesser RC Auto's and parallels

Carl Crawford RC Auto collection including roughly 14 TT Auto BGS 9.5's, a PSA 10 and a bunch of raw RC Auto's.

High end RC Auto's including, Pujols SPx, Wright BC Xfractor PSA 10, Fielder Ultimate RC Autos, etc.

HOF stuff including, Mantle APOH 500, 2 Williams APOH 500, etc, book auto'd Mantle, Mays, Aaron etc.
You have some great Lester stuff and if he has a good next couple of years like the past few he could start selling for what he should. He has a better record than Lincy and is only a few months older. If you sell too early you could be leaving a lot of cash on the table.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Krom said:
Topnotchsy said:
darrend505 said:

Few highlights:

You have some great Lester stuff and if he has a good next couple of years like the past few he could start selling for what he should. He has a better record than Lincy and is only a few months older. If you sell too early you could be leaving a lot of cash on the table.
I'm a big fan of Lester and agree (hence picking up all this stuff) but I guess I have to decide whether stepping away from the hobby (and the time and money involved) will override the profits I think would materialize if I wait. I've been in the hobby for so long it's almost hard to consider, but it may be time.

Members online