Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

LITTLE help from the resident griffey experts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boomo

Sep 14, 2008
I received the following griffey gold card along with
buyback certificate to sell on consignment. It says
the gold card was in a previous product bought back and
reinserted in 2009 upper deck. Now, this seems odd to me as i
have never seen this gold card, and the copyright on it
says 2000 along with upper deck collectibles. do i simply have
the wrong card that goes with the buyback cert?
any help appreciated

H312.jpg

aaron41984

Jun 22, 2009
I'm sorry that I won't be much help but I wanted to give you a bump so maybe magicpapa will notice. I'm sure he would know. I don't understand the concept of a buyback without adding an auto or something to the card.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
My guess is the buyback certificate didn't originally come with the gold plated version [which looks more like novelty trading card item] of the 1989 Upper Deck rookie card.

The buyback certificate looks like it came one of the Ken Griffey Jr. buyback autograph cards inserted in packs.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
Lars said:
My guess is the buyback certificate didn't originally come with the gold plated version [which looks more like novelty trading card item] of the 1989 Upper Deck rookie card.

The buyback certificate looks like it came one of the Ken Griffey Jr. buyback autograph cards inserted in packs.

Those certificates are legit.. that one says "trading card" whereas the others read "autographed card"..

Magicpapa has the image..

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
Pinbreaker said:
Lars said:

Those certificates are legit.. that one says "trading card" whereas the others read "autographed card"..

2009UPPERDECKBUYBACK.jpg

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
magicpapa said:
Pinbreaker said:
Lars said:

2009UPPERDECKBUYBACK.jpg

Either you are up real early.. or up really late.. :lol:

I don;t have to go back to work until the 4th.. :D So I've been staying up late..

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
pretty much up early everyday here, i get up about 2 or 3 for work, and days off sleep in til 4 maybe, lol
were only off fri this week

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
magicpapa said:
pretty much up early everyday here, i get up about 2 or 3 for work, and days off sleep in til 4 maybe, lol
were only off fri this week

I normally get up at about 3:30 to help my wife with her morning stuff.. then I leave to catch the vanpool at 5..

This week is all those holidays that everyone else gets off throughout the year that we work..

Have fun at work..

boomo

Sep 14, 2008
hmm, so im still not sure on the verdict.
upper deck made this gold card as shown in
magic's pic in 2000, and then inserted it in 2009 upper deck?

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
boomo said:
hmm, so im still not sure on the verdict.
upper deck made this gold card as shown in
magic's pic in 2000, and then inserted it in 2009 upper deck?
looks that way, they must not have been big sellers

coqxxx4

Aug 7, 2008
Yes, They were re-released in 2009 Upper Deck

Listed in the Beckett as 2009 Upper Deck Ken Griffey Jr. 1989 Buyback Gold

atlfalconsfan

Feb 21, 2011
Hey All,

First post here and figured I would piggyback this thread rather than start a new one. Hope that is cool.

Just recently got back in the card hobby lately. Went to Wal Mart today and they had one box of 2009 Upper Deck cards on clearance. Bought it and what did I get? #10 of 89 of the Griffey auto rookie buyback cards. This one is done in black ink, apparently only the 1-13 were done in black and the remaining 76 cards were done in blue ink. I've seen various reports of the value of this card (some pretty high!). Does anyone know what a reasonable expectation of the value really is? I've never sold a card before and wouldn't necessarily sell this one but would like to know my options. Should I have it graded? Thanks for any help and advice in advance.

minpin

Dec 27, 2008
Manhattan
Can you upload a scan? When it comes to grading, you'll want to watch out what you do with it depending on condition. If you are only interested in selling it, to receive a premium on the card, it would need to grade at least a 9. Anything less than a 9 would bring down the value of the card. Congrats on the pull and i look forward to seeing the scan.

-Matt

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
First off Welcome to the FCB.. It's a great site with very knowledgable members..

atlfalconsfan said:
Hey All,

First post here and figured I would piggyback this thread rather than start a new one. Hope that is cool.

Just recently got back in the card hobby lately. Went to Wal Mart today and they had one box of 2009 Upper Deck cards on clearance. Bought it and what did I get? #10 of 89 of the Griffey auto rookie buyback cards. This one is done in black ink, apparently only the 1-13 were done in black and the remaining 76 cards were done in blue ink. I've seen various reports of the value of this card (some pretty high!). Does anyone know what a reasonable expectation of the value really is? I've never sold a card before and wouldn't necessarily sell this one but would like to know my options. Should I have it graded? Thanks for any help and advice in advance.

Hope to see a scan of it as well..

Depending on the quality of the signature.. You could do really well.. There are a few die hard collectors on here that would give you a decent price and you wouldn't get hit with the EBAY fees..

atlfalconsfan

Feb 21, 2011
I'll try and get it scanned for you all. Again, not necessarily looking to make a quick buck, but just wondering if I should buy a safe for this thing or not.

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
I have one of thse too. i remember when upper deck sent me the thing they forgot to put the card in it. I had to send it back and they sent me the card
sdyjdtyjdfjsrsry.jpg

Members online