Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cheat Sheets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

17ROCKIES12

Aug 13, 2008
Do you guys ever use cheat sheets to know the visiting team? I've never used one in the past, but am going to make some for next season. I developed a system to easily edit and move players information into a giant collage. This will be useful for getting players outside of the stadium, and during bp, especially with 40 man rosters.
Here are the Astros

image_2.png

One team (almost down), 18 to go.

jeff550

May 5, 2009
burke
its a good idea, if it works, the only problem being is in a quick amount of time, will it help you tell the difference between Chris Volstad, and Gabby Sanchez

cwells46

Aug 7, 2008
Pigeon Forge, TN
Never used a cheat sheet before and had never heard of it until your post....I don't think it will really help, they would probably be gone before you find them on the sheet and its become pointless in that case anyways.

tigsfan

Aug 15, 2008
Michigan
I just print out my roster sheets instead. Less time and colored ink, but tends to be just as effective in most cases. Either that, or the old program pictures if I'm in doubt...

Jared

Oct 22, 2009
It couldn't hurt thats for sure. Why would you need a sample of their autograph, though?

17ROCKIES12

Aug 13, 2008
It will help on the street because I usually have about a minute to identify them before they are to the place where they'll sign. Having just the number will be helpful if they are wearing a bp jersey with only their number, or I can only see the front of their game jersey. In the case that the picture doesn't confirm it, and I can't see a number, I can look at the signature that someone before me gets and then find it on a sheet (this would have been useful last year when I had it narrowed down to two or three people that looked similar but had very different autographs). It will also be useful for coaches and broadcasters. Its hard to recognize guys up to 40 years later based on their picture on a card.

I know there are a ton of guys on the sheet, but I probably already know half of them. Waiting around at the stadium will also give me the chance to familiarize with more faces. It'll be very useful after September call ups. Being 100% sure that I have the right guy will also be reassuring.

I'd say last year I only got about 70% of the autographs I could have outside of the stadium. I would get everyone on the inside, but sometimes I'd get them on a team picture instead of a card because I wouldn't know who it was.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I just try to get everyone on a semi team ball. Then I take a printout of the roster, highlight the players I got, and tuck it in there with the ball. Its better than having to worry about who is who. Besides...if you can get more than about 5 or 6 on a ball...you had a pretty good day IMO. As for recognizing star players...most of them you will know because everyone will be calling them and trying to get them to sign.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
I don't do much IP outside of stadiums (unless it is an appearance)... so I have them sign and then match the jersey number on the signature or look at the back of their jerseys, or I suppose if it is legible I can make it out

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
TBTwinsFan said:
I don't do much IP outside of stadiums (unless it is an appearance)... so I have them sign and then match the jersey number on the signature or look at the back of their jerseys, or I suppose if it is legible I can make it out

Doesn't work all the time though. A lot of times in the stadium...guys will be wearing a team jacket or windbreaker. So you can't see what number they are. I have gotten plenty of guys that I didn't know who they were until I looked at their sig. But I do recognize the stars or players I collect. I got Jack Wilson, Pujols, Troy Glaus, Dioneer Navarro, Luis Gonzalez, Jeff Suppan, and Ina Snell and knew exactly who they were when I got them. But some you don't. The worst part is trying to call them over. What can you do? Say "Hey you!"? That is why the ball park can be hard.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
predatorkj said:
TBTwinsFan said:

Doesn't work all the time though. A lot of times in the stadium...guys will be wearing a team jacket or windbreaker. So you can't see what number they are. I have gotten plenty of guys that I didn't know who they were until I looked at their sig. But I do recognize the stars or players I collect. I got Jack Wilson, Pujols, Troy Glaus, Dioneer Navarro, Luis Gonzalez, Jeff Suppan, and Ina Snell and knew exactly who they were when I got them. But some you don't. The worst part is trying to call them over. What can you do? Say "Hey you!"? That is why the ball park can be hard.

That is the only downside...

I don't call people though... I just stand at the top of the dugout and hold my baseballs over for them to sign.

Jan 15, 2009
TBTwinsFan said:
predatorkj said:
TBTwinsFan said:

I don't call people though... I just stand at the top of the dugout and hold my baseballs over for them to sign.
Hopefully they aren't real baseballs (ROMLBs), I have a good memory so I will make a cheat sheet before I go memorize a lot of those, however I only do it for teams I don't see such as teams in the AL. Otherwise I know what most players on NL teams look like. If I can't recognize someone, there are other people there that do.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
GiantsSuperCollector said:
TBTwinsFan said:
predatorkj said:
TBTwinsFan said:

Hopefully they aren't real baseballs (ROMLBs), I have a good memory so I will make a cheat sheet before I go memorize a lot of those, however I only do it for teams I don't see such as teams in the AL. Otherwise I know what most players on NL teams look like. If I can't recognize someone, there are other people there that do.

Why Not?

I used to use the synthetic leather baseballs.... ::facepalm:: I will never make this mistake again...

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
TBTwinsFan said:
TBTwinsFan said:
predatorkj said:
TBTwinsFan said:

Why Not?

I used to use the synthetic leather baseballs.... ::facepalm:: I will never make this mistake again...

Yeah...me too. Learned real quick. I'll use a real baseball but I hate having to do it unless I can get at least 5 or 6 sigs on it. Once you get that far its cool. Otherwise...you start to wonder if you didn't waste your $12. I always try to bring two. I let my wife(if she goes with me) have one and I keep the other. Should a pretty decent player come over...I hand her the blank ball if I can't get in to get it signed. If I'm already in there, I'll just get it signed. For all the scrubs and coaches she or I use the "team ball". In some cases...we can get a star player to sign both.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
predatorkj said:
TBTwinsFan said:
TBTwinsFan said:
predatorkj said:
[quote="TBTwinsFan":2edqemrh]I don't do much IP outside of stadiums (unless it is an appearance)... so I have them sign and then match the jersey number on the signature or look at the back of their jerseys, or I suppose if it is legible I can make it out

Why Not?

Yeah...me too. Learned real quick. I'll use a real baseball but I hate having to do it unless I can get at least 5 or 6 sigs on it. Once you get that far its cool. Otherwise...you start to wonder if you didn't waste your $12. I always try to bring two. I let my wife(if she goes with me) have one and I keep the other. Should a pretty decent player come over...I hand her the blank ball if I can't get in to get it signed. If I'm already in there, I'll just get it signed. For all the scrubs and coaches she or I use the "team ball". In some cases...we can get a star player to sign both.[/quote:2edqemrh]

I have synthetic leather horror stories...

Signatures fading, one even partly rubbed off on my Bob Feller ball (just barely missing the sig...).

No more baseballs for me until I can clean up what I got... Hopefully I can get these guys IP again on some decent baseballs...

Members online

Latest posts