Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

As a new collector, I have some questions about autographs.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr.1989

Dec 19, 2010
As a new collector, please don't be harsh on me. I don't know as much about sports cards as you but your help would be much appreciated. I already have had some people on this site be real ******** (MarlinsManiac20) to me for no reason really, so, if you don't have something nice to say, please don't say it.

1) What does through the mail mean? I mean, does it mean you just mail to a celebrity's address and they'll sign it for you and send it back?

2) What is the best pen to get a 2010 Topps Chrome baseball card auto'd with? What color, brand, thickness?

I'm planning on getting the card in my signature autographed but I don't quite know how to go about doing it.

If you respond, feel free to give any advice possible regarding autographs. Thank you.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
1. Nobody here will bash you.

2. Through the mail (TTM as it as referred too), is where you send to the person (not necessarily at someone's house) and they sign and send back. You can send to a stadium, a venue, a charity...

3. 2010 Chrome is fine in any sharpie, although I would say a blue one would be better.

**If you are sending chrome or anything shiney, rub it down with talc-based baby powder (but make sure to wipe it off the card, COMPLETELY off).

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Also, I don't think Jake Peavy is a good signer. I would recommend NOT sending the card in your sig. You would be better off sending a card that if you lose, you won't miss too much. That, and because it is/25, you might not find another copy for quite some time.

Sending TTM means putting your cards right through the rough and tumble of the postal system.

Mr.1989

Dec 19, 2010
TBTwinsFan said:
Also, I don't think Jake Peavy is a good signer. I would recommend NOT sending the card in your sig. You would be better off sending a card that if you lose, you won't miss too much. That, and because it is/25, you might not find another copy for quite some time.

Sending TTM means putting your cards right through the rough and tumble of the postal system.

Thanks for all the good advice TB. I didn't even know you could send it to a stadium or venue, I have to admit that's cool that they do things like that now. I was going to put it in a screwdown or magnetic case because believe me when I say, I know how the postal service treats mail. It's worse than airports sometimes!

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
You don't really even have to put baby powder on cards. You can rub them off with your fingers and then wipe off the finger prints or you can also just use a cloth or shirt and they will come out fine.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Mr.1989 said:
TBTwinsFan said:

Thanks for all the good advice TB. I didn't even know you could send it to a stadium or venue, I have to admit that's cool that they do things like that now. I was going to put it in a screwdown or magnetic case because believe me when I say, I know how the postal service treats mail. It's worse than airports sometimes!

No problem! Most of us on the TTM board are happy to help new TTMers...

I would also write DO NOT BEND on the SASE and the one going too Mr. Peavy.

Like I said, I don't think he is that great of a signer, but if you want to try, your best bet is to send to the stadium (spring training or US Cell) when baseball time comes around.

If you ever hear about him at a show, you could contact a promoter and send it there too (if they allow you too, most will let you as long as you use SASE and pay proper amount).

ignition

Jul 29, 2010
Mr.1989 said:
TBTwinsFan said:

I would strongly suggest not sending anything through the mail in a screwdown case or anything other type of case that's remotely difficult to open. I imagine the active athletes don't typically take more 30 seconds from open to sealing the SASE so anything that would require more time than that would just put them off entirely from signing.

As a general rule of thumb send to active players care of their current teams during their respective seasons and retired players to their homes. Retired players that are coaches most of the time, if they sign, usually do via the minor or major league teams.

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
You've been given great advice. The sportscollectors.net site is well worth the annual membership to find out who signs and who doesn't, plus you can get retired player addresses and you also can use their tracking system to keep up with your requests and collection.
DANNY

cwells46

Aug 7, 2008
Pigeon Forge, TN
I actually don't even use the datebase for tracking on their site...Found that it is much easier to use excel, and have my own setup for that.....

ignition

Jul 29, 2010
dano7 said:
You've been given great advice. The sportscollectors.net site is well worth the annual membership to find out who signs and who doesn't, plus you can get retired player addresses and you also can use their tracking system to keep up with your requests and collection.
DANNY

Sooooo.... does this offer greater information than, say, our "Unofficial Please Give Me An Address" thread?

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
ignition said:
dano7 said:
DANNY

Sooooo.... does this offer greater information than, say, our "Unofficial Please Give Me An Address" thread?

SCN basically tells you everything you would ever want to know, or even not know about TTMing.

Sadly, FCB doesn't have that strong of a TTM community. SCN is basically only TTMing.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I don't do TTM because I can't verify the auto is indeed the real McCoy and I also think you are somewhat limited by what you can get signed. I much prefer IP!

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
if you need a minor leaguer i can get those that play at my home stadium . Low "A" most are rookies and only a few have cards but i can use ticket stubs .

jeff550

May 5, 2009
burke
ignition said:
dano7 said:
DANNY

YES, AS you can look up curretn players, when there last success was, what their % is. They have a decent community for asking questions, and to get the addresses you dont have to search through 100+ pages

Members online