Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Best wood bat? and MN Bat Companies?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
I am going to use wood bats (mostly) for BP this year. What are some of the best to use?

MNers, what are some wood bat companies in MN? We are trying to think of one that we saw on St. Paul but we can't remember it.

imac220

Aug 14, 2008
Central PA
I use a Louisville Slugger M9 Maple 32 3/4 inch/30 oz for Travel, and HS Varsity.

I love them, highly suggest you look into them. They are not cheap (Around $75 per for customs) but it is well worth the buy in

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
imac220 said:
I use a Louisville Slugger M9 Maple 32 3/4 inch/30 oz for Travel, and HS Varsity.

I love them, highly suggest you look into them. They are not cheap (Around $75 per for customs) but it is well worth the buy in

$75 is well within what I am looking to pay for a nice bat.

I will look into these both... thanks!

imac220

Aug 14, 2008
Central PA
TBTwinsFan said:
imac220 said:

$75 is well within what I am looking to pay for a nice bat.

I will look into these both... thanks!

Well good luck! You wont be dissapointed! The $75 is if you buy multiples...not sure if you just buy one

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
I play exclusively with wood and I find that the smaller companies supply you with better quality lumber. Since they don't have the business luxury of supplying to MLB/MILB, they can't select the supreme wood cuts/grains for the "faces" that use their product.

The best bat company I have used in the past 2 years has been BWP Bats. Their prices and ability to customize (cupped, not cupped, half sizes, colors, etc.) make them great. They also are very good wood grain which has been very durable.

FortyFour

Aug 7, 2008
I dont use them for in game I just enjoy hitting BP.

my favorite bat company is Trinity Maple I have only been able to use one and sadly I cracked it it was the T-CH4 I customized it with a mahogany barrel and a black handle with a gold logo and gold stripe in between the two colors as well as my name. They are pricey that being why I only owned one :p it cost me about $120 w/ shipping.

http://www.trinitybats.com/baseballbats.html

I have been using Viper bats lately they dont have the big name like other companies but they offer "blem bats" which have some issues but for me they work pretty well. And If i crack one its not the end of the world.

http://www.viperbats.com/proddetail.asp?prod=VB-XX

tm decomposer

Aug 29, 2010
Depending on what you are comfortable with and the kind of wood you like, I'd say try Old Hickory or Marucci bats.

Old Hickory I used a 33/30 ash (Ash is lighter than Maple/less expensive).

I'm an all ash guy. Can't stand how Maple is top heavy most of the time. Old Hick's usually go for 80-100 for ash. Not sure on the Maples.

You could also try Wet Bats, which are bats my former little league coach made. They are compressed of wood that's over 100 years old that are taken out of lakes and rivers, therefore making the strands rock hard. I've used them in the past and like them a lot. However, they are more pricey. I just got a huge discount cause I know the guy.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
I had a custom X-Bat and absolutely loved it, but I snapped it during the last game of the season a few years back.

34 1/2 IN, 32 1/2 OZ with a fat knob. I loved that thing.

If it's just for batting practice, I would go with one that's highly unlikely to break.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
I had a custom X-Bat and absolutely loved it, but I snapped it during the last game of the season a few years back.

If it's just for batting practice, I would go with one that's highly unlikely to break.

This is what I am thinking... I want to get one and only one to use that I don't have to replace every week...

FortyFour

Aug 7, 2008
TBTwinsFan said:
ALL_THE_HYPE said:

This is what I am thinking... I want to get one and only one to use that I don't have to replace every week...
Viper has Bamboo bats for $35 probably the strongest wood bat.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
boxbreaker44 said:
TBTwinsFan said:
ALL_THE_HYPE said:

Do they have 33 in for that price? I can go ahead and try one of those... Order it in soon and swing it around in the driveway...

FortyFour

Aug 7, 2008
TBTwinsFan said:
boxbreaker44 said:
TBTwinsFan said:
ALL_THE_HYPE said:

Do they have 33 in for that price? I can go ahead and try one of those... Order it in soon and swing it around in the driveway...
Yea they do just choose it here: http://www.viperbats.com/proddetail.asp?prod=VB-XX or they have ash for $20. Remeber these are Blem bats which means they have cosmetic issues

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Mizuno makes a bamboo bat. They run about $70 at any Academy store. Not really sure exactly how strong they are. I myself enjoyed using a Rawlings big stick bat. They run anywhere from $20-$30. You crack them after a while but for the price...if you can get through the season with buying only 4 or maybe even 5 of them...at least you won't have to worry about dropping $100+ on only one bat and then having the damn thing crack on you. I guess it just depends on how much you use it and how hard you are capable of swinging. If you are pretty strong...you might as well just buy a damn aluminum bat and save yourself the trouble. I used them at the cages and while the balls were softer than a normal baseball, I'd crack it after about 30 rounds of use. So I am not sure how they stand up to a real baseball.

I'd say get one...and see how long it lasts. Worse case scenario you are out $30 and then you know for sure.

tm decomposer

Aug 29, 2010
Try Brett Bats. George Brett's company. I have a bamboo one that I bought for $60 just for cage work. Their heavier and are great for bat speed.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
predatorkj said:
Mizuno makes a bamboo bat. They run about $70 at any Academy store. Not really sure exactly how strong they are. I myself enjoyed using a Rawlings big stick bat. They run anywhere from $20-$30. You crack them after a while but for the price...if you can get through the season with buying only 4 or maybe even 5 of them...at least you won't have to worry about dropping $100+ on only one bat and then having the damn thing crack on you. I guess it just depends on how much you use it and how hard you are capable of swinging. If you are pretty strong...you might as well just buy a damn aluminum bat and save yourself the trouble. I used them at the cages and while the balls were softer than a normal baseball, I'd crack it after about 30 rounds of use. So I am not sure how they stand up to a real baseball.

I'd say get one...and see how long it lasts. Worse case scenario you are out $30 and then you know for sure.

Bingo. You hit the nail on the head.

I try to hit for power. I know it isn't good, but I used to dream that I was Mark McGwire hitting homer after homer, and it just stuck around with me.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
TBTwinsFan said:
predatorkj said:

I try to hit for power. I know it isn't good, but I used to dream that I was Mark McGwire hitting homer after homer, and it just stuck around with me.

If your just screwing around then yeah...go for broke. But when I was playing...I'd always try to work on bat speed and making good contact. Its amazing how many bad habits you can pick up if all you do is go to a cage and try to crank the ball. Soon you've got a hitch in your step or you start pulling the ball. Can be hard to break. Plus a lot of these rinky dink cages don't simulate sharp breaking curves or changeups. So it can really mess you up.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
predatorkj said:
TBTwinsFan said:
predatorkj said:

If your just screwing around then yeah...go for broke. But when I was playing...I'd always try to work on bat speed and making good contact. Its amazing how many bad habits you can pick up if all you do is go to a cage and try to crank the ball. Soon you've got a hitch in your step or you start pulling the ball. Can be hard to break. Plus a lot of these rinky dink cages don't simulate sharp breaking curves or changeups. So it can really mess you up.

We don't have cages around here... I am going to use it for HS BP (if the coach will let me) and I am going to use it for softer pick up games and stuff like that. I figured I would drop 30-50 bucks on the best bat I could get for that price range (since most of the replies in this thread are that cheap. I thought I would be lookin at 150).

I have an aluminum that I would use for games, but I don't like using it for BP because it would get left outside in the rain and etc etc... I have a TPX Warrior 33/30 (not a lot of people like that bat, but I like it).

I figure if I can drop 30 bucks on a bat, and I don't like it, I am out a blaster and 2 rack packs. If I like it, I can continue to use them.

Members online