Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

A Sick Ruthian Mailday + More (SCANS)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nikobaseball

Aug 7, 2008
First I got this Price orange in a while back, but hadn't scanned it until now:

PriceOrange.jpg

No, not as good as George Calfas' auto, but I love it nonetheless

RuthPOH.jpg

:D

Zach

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Nikobaseball said:
First I got this Price orange in a while back, but hadn't scanned it until now:

PriceOrange.jpg

No, not as good as George Calfas' auto, but I love it nonetheless

RuthPOH.jpg

:D

Zach
Congrats on a sick pick-up. Obviously my concerns were unfounded.

Vagrant

May 2, 2009
I think that Ruth is probably one of the only pieces that we can for sure came from a Babe Ruth gamer with the provenance and the Beckett coverage, etc. It was such a storm upon the hobby at the time that the authenticity will never be questioned and that makes it a piece of history.

I am a skeptic by nature, and with the frequency that companies like Topps buy up fake autographs I have ZERO doubts this practice extends to game used bats as well considering they're more rare and usually higher priced items.

With the frequency that card companies generally screw things up, I have zero trust that the piece of material on the card was actually worn by the player depicted upon it except in situations like this one.

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
Vagrant said:
I think that Ruth is probably one of the only pieces that we can for sure came from a Babe Ruth gamer with the provenance and the Beckett coverage, etc. It was such a storm upon the hobby at the time that the authenticity will never be questioned and that makes it a piece of history.

I am a skeptic by nature, and with the frequency that companies like Topps buy up fake autographs I have ZERO doubts this practice extends to game used bats as well considering they're more rare and usually higher priced items.

With the frequency that card companies generally screw things up, I have zero trust that the piece of material on the card was actually worn by the player depicted upon it except in situations like this one.

I forgot all about that. The back of the card states that it is authenticated by Mastro, who I believe is now out of business due to shady stuff they were doing. That explains to me why ud uses the phrase "was authenticated to us as being game used" or however they word it.

ruth_0001.jpg

francisjniskey

Oct 28, 2008
Vagrant said:

Great Pickups to the OP. Sweet Ruth :D

Personally I have a bit more confidence in Donruss/Leaf Babe Ruth items because of stories like this: http://www.donruss.com/dspNewsDetail.cfm?nid=10

I have been collecting Ruth Game Used for quite some time and the only ones that I have been disappointed with is the trash Topps is putting out now that they call "Relics". There are a lot of people wasting a lot of money on these cards thinking these are authentic and when the bottom falls out of them they'll be losing a lot of money. Legally Topps has no worries of being sued because they don't state on their cards that they are Game Used and it is the consumer who is putting the false label on them and paying outrageous prices for them. I bought a couple of them just for giggles and wouldn't waste a dime on anything they put out of Ruth or any other Old School HOFers for that matter. Caveat Emptor.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
bear0555 said:

Putting all the Mastro controversy out of the picture, i wish the card companies would have continued to do this with, at the very least, the real high priced game used stuff like the Ruths. State where the item was acquired and put a picture of the full item like on this Ruth card.

francisjniskey

Oct 28, 2008
Same here. Used to be cool to look at the back of the card and see the actual item that the jersey/bat card came from.

G $MONEY$ said:
bear0555 said:

Putting all the Mastro controversy out of the picture, i wish the card companies would have continued to do this with, at the very least, the real high priced game used stuff like the Ruths. State where the item was acquired and put a picture of the full item like on this Ruth card.

Members online

No members online now.