Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1909-1911 Vintage T206 Tobacco Cards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LazerShow15

Apr 2, 2009
Wisconsin
For 2011 I am going to bite the bullet and buy one of each of the following. I do not want to spend more than $500 per card, do I get the best grade possible, buy raw, or just get lowest grade possible just so I have these in my PC.

Ty Cobb
Christy Mathewson
Cy Young
Walter Johnson

What are your favorite versions of these players?

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
So you want to choose between best grade and worst grade? Odd. Obviously, you go with best, although with a $500 limit, there won't be a huge gulf between best and worst.

I like the red bg Cobb, dark cap Matty, and portraits of the other two.

LazerShow15

Apr 2, 2009
Wisconsin
I just want to own these cards, the grades from 1 to 2 or 3 are not that different IMO. I know these cards are very expensive. Or do I buy one per year or two per year and have $1000 limit on each. I just don't know what to do. I have procrastinated so much on getting these, they just continue to go up. I wanted these back when you could get 2's or 3's at less than $200

Crash Davis

Aug 19, 2008
securedsports said:
I just want to own these cards, the grades from 1 to 2 or 3 are not that different IMO. I know these cards are very expensive. Or do I buy one per year or two per year and have $1000 limit on each. I just don't know what to do. I have procrastinated so much on getting these, they just continue to go up. I wanted these back when you could get 2's or 3's at less than $200

At $500, you probably wont be able to get better than a PSA 1 Cobb and that would be the most common version.

The others you might be able to sneak away with a decent PSA 2 or 3.

LazerShow15

Apr 2, 2009
Wisconsin
What do you think I should do, in your honest opinion. Just get one each year, two each year, or get all 4 now within that budget of $2000 for all 4 cards.

Nate Colbert 17

Aug 10, 2008
Texas
You can find a wide variety of low grade cards. Some of my SGC 10's look like NM cards, but have back damage.

A $500.00 Cobb might be tough to find, but with some patience it can be done.

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
T206 cards are very common, the most common of all PreWar cards. You can find multiple examples for sale every day.

The Cobb Red is one of the most common T206 cards.

If you shop around and dont buy the first one you see you can find a nice raw Cobb for $400 that may get a "2" grade. The others you can find in "2-3" grade for under $300 at times.

There is a good difference in price on the Young and Johnson portrait cards compared to the action pose cards.

I usually buy raw.
The last couple Youngs (glove) I bought were right around $150, and the last Matty (dark cap) was $175 and all would be in the PSA-2 range. I buy to resell, I dont collect T206's, they are boring to me.

IMO T205 cards are a better buy, especially the T205 Cobb compared to the T206 Cobbs.
Far less T205s out there and they are more attractive to me.

t205cobb.jpeg

this one was $275

howardpwr06

May 13, 2010
Pennsylvania
You could buy one of each low graded and then upgrade them if you have a chance. This way you get them all into your collection and then you can start working on getting better ones.

Junior Griffey

Aug 12, 2008
Ottawa IL
Just shop around, and you'll be surprised at what you find. I paid $500 for my Walter Johnson PSA 3 portrait last year. Closer to 1k for my Cobb red PSA 3 a few years earlier. But prices were higher in general then. I would think you can get a Young glove shows psa 3/sgc 40 for around $500. I like it better than his portrait, although both are great cards. As for Matty, I would guess you could also get a portrait in the 3 range for $500, if not $450. Just be careful buying raw, especially on ebay. You could get all of these except for the Cobb in a 3, and then upgrade over time. That's what I plan on doing. It'll be easier to talk myself into upgrading from a 3 to a 4 than it would be to spend the money on a 4 all at once. Stay within your budget and be patient.

Members online