Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Remembering El Momen! Roberto Clemente

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
On this date in 1972, Roberto Clemente was killed when a plane carrying him and relief aid for people affected by a earthquake in Nicaragua crashed into the ocean off the coast of Puerto Rico immediately after takeoff. Clemente, 38 at the time of his death, was a .317/.359/.475 career hitter in 18 seasons with the Bucs, picking up 3,000 career hits on the nose. He was posthumously elected to the Hall of Fame in 1973 after voters elected to waive the traditional five-year waiting period. MLB honors Clemente's charity work each year by presenting the Robert Clemente Award to the player "who combines a dedication to giving back to the community with outstanding skills on the baseball field."

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
.....a true hero, on and off the field. Still sad to think about that day, I was just a kid when he died and did not understand the magnitude of what happened. Shows what kind of "character" he had being involved with the humanitarian mission. The accounts of the "suspect" plane that he flew on always makes me shiver.

Thanks for reminding us of this date.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
MaineMule said:
.....a true hero, on and off the field. Still sad to think about that day, I was just a kid when he died and did not understand the magnitude of what happened. Shows what kind of "character" he had being involved with the humanitarian mission. The accounts of the "suspect" plane that he flew on always makes me shiver.

Thanks for reminding us of this date.
My all time favorite! Never saw him play but seen lots of videos. Passion! You dont see many players today like him. About the plane, I dont know if you ever read David Morranesses book about him, came out 4 or 5 years ago, but he goes into great detail about it. It should have never been used.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
!El Hombre! !El mejor de todos los tiempos!

Clemente_.jpg
!Oye Roberto! !Te extranamos!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts