Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Patch EXPERTs - Need Your Help - Triple Threads Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EDIT: I was directed to a previous thread indicating the card was a fake. I did not pay for the card yet. This board just saved me 200$. Thanks FCB and you guys.

The card is numbered 33/36.
But with 2 logo's , wouldn't the numbering be 1/1 ?? or like 1/2 or something like that??

Is it normal to have such rare patches on high print cards in Triple Threads???

I checked the seller, and there was no bad feedback and the items he sold were normal cards, nothing elegant as this, so it looks fine on his previous sales, i am not well schooled in triple threads. Ill have the card in hand in a few days. Feedback and Opinions appreciated. If it turns out to be legit i got a very good price on it and a helluva card but it seems to good to be true. The high numbering bothers me. But I was wondering if anyone else has seen logo patches included in high print run booklets.

CBSovFmkKGrHqFlkEz6BECSBNG8eV75w_12.jpg

DWright5 said:
:shock:

That's a SWEET card. I haven't noticed any of those Lewis/Reed ones that high with patches like that though. Just what I've noticed from searching for Ray recently. I haven't bought any packs of it.

i have seen the same card, but not with crazy patches. I dunno maybe im looking too much into it. I guess big quality pictures when i actually have the card.

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
I personally have noticed that this year, more than other, they have mixed in the nice patches with high numbered and low numbered cards. I dont really like that because it make it easier for people who alter cards...well easier to do because you will now have legit nice cards with possible altered cards. Now with that said its the 1/1 Plates you have to worry about the most because those are much easier to alter, as the Plate will come off the top of the card with viturally no damage, than the card you posted. With the card you posted you should and will see if someone has altered it by checking to see if it was split in half. You will 1) notice shiny glue like residue on parts of the side edges and that is a sign that it was reglued 2) you will notice press marks on the front or back around the top edges as if someone had something smashing the cards together all the way around the card and 3) Listen to your gut if something just seems off send it back to the seller, let them know that you are unsure of the card and that you want a refund. I have never had a problem with sending something back and every seller has been very good about it. The easiest way to know if the regular version have been altered is to compare it to other legit (Jersey Cards) from the same set. Like I will compare my Bat or jersey cards from triple threads to my other cards that have nice patches in them 99% of the time you will easily be able to tell if something has been altered you just have to look for it (Which a lot of people dont). All in all just do a little research and you will be fine, dont be scared to take a risk as you can always send it back. You also got to remember that these companies are not perfect as I have opened pcks and recieved cards that were not glued correctly and you could practically pull the card in half. Doesnt happen all the time but it does. Also remember not every card is fake you just have to work a little harder now a days to spot whats altered and whats not. Good luck and if you get it let us know what you think.

baseballfan21

Jun 10, 2010
If i were you i would pay for the card, you got great opinions on both aspects on real or fake, but get it in hand and them find out, no sense of missing out and an incredible card if it is legit, you will win the case in my opinion and would be rewarded your money back if it is fake.

Its obvious topps have funny or idiotic people working there and those patches could be inserted, i mean look at the fiasco with the baseball auto print on non auto cards I just found out about.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
mlbsalltimegreats said:
I personally have noticed that this year, more than other, they have mixed in the nice patches with high numbered and low numbered cards.

Same here.

bmc398

May 25, 2009
My opinion is that it is real. Look at the patch windows....if it were fake how could they slide new patches in there without visibly damaging the die cut windows? Id get it in hand and see.

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
that would be very hard to fake. Unless he slit the card in half and re put it back together. id love to see how and why someone would think this is fake....

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
bongo870 said:
that would be very hard to fake. Unless he slit the card in half and re put it back together. id love to see how and why someone would think this is fake....

Which is exatly the way triple threads are faked. People do realize these cards in originally in 2 pieces right? They put some glue and pressure and the card is sealed. Until someone either uses a chemical which kills the glue, or straight up puts pressure on the card which splits in 2. Its not as hard as it sounds with threads and without seeing the edges (which most of the time is undetectable since thats how the card was made in the first place) its hard to say for certain.

Members online

Latest posts