Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Stephen Strasburg...investment, flop, or what?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sneekc

Feb 1, 2009
why the hell are his cards still selling for so much? Are people investing for a long term or short term? I don't ever see his items getting to the peak they once were.
Thoughts?

sdsportsfan1214

Aug 14, 2008
San Diego
People are investing on expectations that he will return and live up to the hype. i wouldnt invest at current prices but if he returns strong money could be made

cardboard killer

Dec 8, 2010
Its just like it always is. New cards come out. New cards are all overpriced . Six months or so down the road and they all go down.

TelePlayer22

Aug 7, 2008
sneekc said:
why the hell are his cards still selling for so much? Are people investing for a long term or short term? I don't ever see his items getting to the peak they once were.
Thoughts?

He had one of the most dominant and impressive debuts in major league baseball history.. he lived up to every hype and expectation prior to the injury. Assuming that it's not career threatening, and the fact that cards are selling for nowhere near the hype, it's not surprising that cards are still selling well if you believe that the injury will only stall his impact. Obviously, no one would be investing for the short term based on the fact that he won't be anywhere near a baseball field until 2012.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
blazers091 said:
FLOP. might as well invest in mark prior cards
icon_lol.gif
DITTO!!!!!!!

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
Clearly an investment. There is no way Stras is a flop yet. If he comes back from TJ and he damages the arm again, then you can say flop.

BrewerSuperCollector

Aug 10, 2008
sneekc said:
Thoughts?

Certainly long term investment. He probably won't be full strength until '13.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
sneekc said:
Thoughts?

In for a penny in for a pound.

Also consider that money wrapped up in him can't be used on other investments.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
bradical said:
nosterbor said:
Stephen Strasburg or Kerry Wood take your pick.

Or even Juan Gonzalez.

For those of you who say he is going to flop, please enlighten us with why?
because he already is!
icon_facepalm.gif
wake up and smell the coffee.and i have never lost $1000's on Juans cards.
icon_lol.gif
icon_lol.gif
icon_lol.gif

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
Here is my 2 cents on the topic:

Strasburg was a terrific investment before being called up(which means his 1st Bowman release stuff and USA stuff). I made a killing off of his 1st Bowman release cards-as did many others. Now, I still believe he is an investment kind of guy, because he is certainly not a flop at this point. For every Mark Prior comparison, there is a Josh Johnson comparison(how did he do this year, huh?).

In my humble opinion, I would stay away. The risk outweighs the reward to me, and by investing in his stuff you are tying up a lot of funds for at least probably a year. I think there is value in his 2010 Bowman Chrome redemption autos, but when you are paying $140 or something for a base auto, if he doesn't have success coming back, you are screwed big time.

Basically, I think there are many better investments out there, with the same type of return on investment-but guys who are much safer plays at this point in the prospecting game. And, having a lot of funds tied up for around a year or more, it just doesn't make all that much sense to me at this point.

Haters are always going to hate. This guy is far from the next Mark Prior, at this point. As I said, Josh Johnson looked awfully friggen good this season-and, oh yeah, he had TJ surgery a couple years back.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Here's the problem.

A player is either the greatest of all time and a sure fire hall of famer, or he's not Albert Pujols. For those players that aren't Albert Pujols, their card values peak with the original hype and never reach that point again.

I have no clue if Strasburg will return to form, but I think you should probably compare his cards to Tim Lincecum for a baseline. Strasburg's topps chrome is currently selling for more than you'd expect to pay for a Lincecum Bowman Chrome. You're not leaving yourself much margin for error.

For you to make money, not only does Strasburg have to come back healthy and pitch a great game in one of his first five starts back, but you also have to be able to sell that card during that hype.

If you're thinking about long-term investment, he really has to become not just a perennial all-star but the best in the game.

I don't know why people are investing -- it's tough to predict when the kid will come back, but I can imagine the frustration if Topps doesn't honor the redemptions for over a year as they did with some of last year's projects. I couldn't imagine having a redemption sitting at Topps while Strasburg blows up in his first few starts back.

Are the people investing for 5 year value? or just to resell in the next year and a half?

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
I personally do not think Stras is priced well right this moment...
I believe during the 2011 season he will bottom as dreams of 2011 return fade...
I do not think off season 2011 is the right time as hype will start to build around his return.

With patience, this could be an opportunity... currently, it is a limited upside bet with 90-100% downside.
BG

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I'm just maintaining whatever I take in out of breaks or what-not. I agree that the risk is rather high, and prohibative to me at least. But I do have a potential big pay-off card since my Topps MCG auto came back a 9.5

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
bradical said:
nosterbor said:
because he already is!

He already is a flop? Kid hasn't even played a full season. He lived up to mass hype and I would even say he went beyond it.

You are delirious.
no ! paying $100's of dollars right now for an autograph card of his is! it is alot cheaper using TOILET PAPER!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts