Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

DirecTV or Dish?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimmychanga18

Feb 3, 2010
I am looking at getting satellite. I am a sox fan so I assume I can get NESN on either. Do they show both home and away games? Anyone have any thoughts.

jaydub

Jun 18, 2010
Arvada, CO
The major downside to Dish is that they don't have the MLB Network. On the plus side I think their receivers are better and price slightly lower. I've had excellent customer service so far and zero problems. All else being equal if you live outside of the area with the team you follow I found that paying for the MLB.com monthly video package was great as I could watch pretty much every game of every team except for the local teams (which I don't follow) on my iphone or via Boxee or online. You often get the option of home or away feeds.
That's outside of whatever satellite or cable provider in question...

oiccup41

Aug 27, 2010
Maine
I have had Directv and now have Dish. I live in New England and they both provide NESN. All Sox games are show on NESN except some of the nationally televised games.

It stinks that Dish doesn't have the MLB Network (I am hoping it will soon) but you can get the NFL Red Zone for $7 a month whereas Directv requires you to buy the NFL package for a few hundred dollars to get NFL Red Zone.

jimmychanga18

Feb 3, 2010
i have cable through a local provider currently. I have mlb network and the nfl redzone channel for an additional fee. however, the redzone is not avail in HD and the MLB extra innings is not in HD as well. the one thing that i am curious about is the prices. i know both have numerous packages avail, but how often do the prices jump after your first years run out?

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
jimmychanga18 said:
i have cable through a local provider currently. I have mlb network and the nfl redzone channel for an additional fee. however, the redzone is not avail in HD and the MLB extra innings is not in HD as well. the one thing that i am curious about is the prices. i know both have numerous packages avail, but how often do the prices jump after your first years run out?

Pretty much everyone does that after they give you a special. Although, I faintly remember a Dish commercial about not raising rates. Don't take my word on it though. I think there's a chance it might have been not charging for HD.

hoopster3977

Jun 22, 2010
Upper Peninsula
I have had DTV since 1999. I have friends that have had Dish, and have returned to DTV because of better service. DTV is a better provider, hands down.

mikekarlovec

Aug 7, 2008
Hobbs, NM
I just went from dish to DirecTV and i love DirecTV. The picture looks better and the sports selection is much better. granted having the chance for the NFL and MLB packages might get more expensive but worth it to me.

bigalbert

Aug 7, 2008
I've had DTV since year one and wouldn't change a thing, other than the HD reciever is a little slow changing channels. I've got mine hooked up to a Sony Bravia and you can count the laces on the football :D

yankeeshater

Aug 7, 2008
I switched from Dish to DirectTV to buy the MLB Package. I live in New England, but Dish didn't give me NESN/Red Sox games, and didn't have MLB Extra Innings available, so I switched to DirectTV. ...It was a good switch.

Ct Sox Fan

Aug 20, 2008
Connecticut
I have had Direct TV for 10+ years now. I would recommend them. They are very good when it comes to customer service. I have found that if something breaks or if you have an issue, all you need to do is mention you are considering going back to cable or one of the other options and they will offer you up even better deals. You have to sign on for 2 more years, but it is worth it!

If you are worried about losing reception in bad weather, I live in New England and rarely lose signal. If your dish is positioned correctly, this should not be an issue.

Members online

Latest posts