Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BGS GRADING ISSUES-- ANYBODY ELSE WANT TO VENT????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
I'm not going to vent forever here or rant on and on about some inconsistencies I find in the BGS sub-grades. I've heard all the rumors about how they grade higher for larger submissions/lots, high-paying clients, etc. What I don't get is how they can get away with absolutely bogus subs from time to time? I have a card that got 8.5 on edges and I've inspected it meticulously with high-powered lights and magnifiers on front and back and the edges are seemingly flawless. If they had put 9.5 instead of 8.5, the card would be a 9.5. Now, it's not a high-dollar card, but the idea that these guys f-d the pooch on this bothers me. What are we peasants supposed to do, send it in with a note attached to look it over again? I mean it seems ridiculous. Does anybody even care? What to do?

I need to make a larger scan to see it clearer, but this is the card:

MooreX-fractor.jpg

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Humans (and money) decide grades...why in the world would you expect BGS (or any other company) to be consistent?

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
THe bottom line is that no grading company is perfect and never will be. At least until there is some sort of computer system that can do the grading.

I still feel BGS is the best out there.

skrip

Rickzcards

Sep 26, 2008
Sin City
So weren't you the one that tried to sell your raw cards at graded prices because you went over them thoroughly and insisted that they were gem mint? See how easy it is to be wrong. You never know until it is actually graded.

CollectorsCorner

Super Moderator
Feb 13, 2009
Rickzcards said:
So weren't you the one that tried to sell your raw cards at graded prices because you went over them thoroughly and insisted that they were gem mint? See how easy it is to be wrong. You never know until it is actually graded.
:lol:

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
Rickzcards said:

to be fair, I find BGS to be quite consistent; but have you ever gotten a card back they grade a sub at 8.5 and you inspect it and it's without any noticeable blemish ANYWHERE-- edges are rather easy to inspect, don't you think?? i can see overlooking a surface line in bad light, or miscalculating a 49/51 centering, etc, but edges are easy...

it almost seems like a bad joke they pulled. by the way, i didn't send this card in. i got it in trade. it's a nice card and should be removed from that case.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
Nothing wrong with a mint 9 card. What is crazy is how a 9 is no longer good enough. Everything needs to be 9.5, that is the joke.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
I submitted a spotless card and received a BGS 8.5 grade. I cracked it out, sliced open the plastic sleeve and dropped it in a new penny sleeve and top loader. Nothing more. I didn't wipe the surfaces, nothing.

It came back a BGS 10.

Why?

Cards are graded by humans. Humans are not consistent.

Grading companies and those who submit are there for one single reason...money. Nothing more. They want your money, you want your buyer's money.

Resubmit and move on.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
matchpenalty said:
Nothing wrong with a mint 9 card. What is crazy is how a 9 is no longer good enough. Everything needs to be 9.5, that is the joke.
Sadly, with the 9.5s coming out these days...a modern BGS 9 was a BGS 8 or lower five years ago. So no, BGS 9s are no longer good enough because BGS is no longer as good as they were when they created their own reputation by winning their own awards.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
200lbhockeyplayer said:
matchpenalty said:
Sadly, with the 9.5s coming out these days...a modern BGS 9 was a BGS 8 or lower five years ago. So no, BGS 9s are no longer good enough because BGS is no longer as good as they were when they created their own reputation by winning their own awards.

well said

WJCIII

Dec 30, 2008
bmp1971 said:
Rickzcards said:

to be fair, I find BGS to be quite consistent; but have you ever gotten a card back they grade a sub at 8.5 and you inspect it and it's without any noticeable blemish ANYWHERE-- edges are rather easy to inspect, don't you think?? i can see overlooking a surface line in bad light, or miscalculating a 49/51 centering, etc, but edges are easy...

it almost seems like a bad joke they pulled. by the way, i didn't send this card in. i got it in trade. it's a nice card and should be removed from that case.

So how is winning CradTrade, a Krause publication, Grading Company of the Year every year the award was given out winning their own awards? I'm just curious since Krause and Beckett have no relationship whatsoever.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
WJCIII said:
So how is winning CradTrade, a Krause publication, Grading Company of the Year every year the award was given out winning their own awards? I'm just curious since Krause and Beckett have no relationship whatsoever.
I was actually referring to BGS winning Beckett's award 10 years in a row instead of winning the now defunct "Card Trade" magazine's award.

Either way, BGS's standard are a pale comparison of what they used to be and that's not up for debate no matter how many people insist on people submitting higher grade cards now.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
When they have "reader polls" and they win. While I am sure they did win every poll of Beckett readers, I can't imagine them ever saying PSA or SGC was better than BGS if they didn't. Better to not have that category. They are obviously self-serving in their interests. They used to have 'mint' as the top grade in the magazine's scale, and didn't recognize 'gem mint' or 'pristine' until well after BGS started. In fact, they were quite derogatory about PSA and SGC's use of better-than-mint terms until BGS started. They defended themselves saying that collectors became microscopically judgmental in their quality demands. That might be true, but it's a little too nice a coincidence.

But slabbed cards aren't any more "correct" in their grading than another person. They look at the card, apply their standards, and out comes a number.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
Only problem I have with these topics are when they over grade you have to hear from the submitter how its just the scan if you hear a anything at all. But god forbid they under grade, then its the magic bullet theory where someones head is needed at once!

WJCIII

Dec 30, 2008
Everybody that grades has a card that they feel like is over graded and one they feel is under graded and that's regardless of which company they submit to. I can also guarantee that with a sub-grade of 8.5 I can find a flaw and so can any other submitter. The OP is notorious for drastically over stating the condition on his cards so it doesn't surprise me that he's mad about the grade.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
WJCIII said:
Everybody that grades has a card that they feel like is over graded and one they feel is under graded and that's regardless of which company they submit to. I can also guarantee that with a sub-grade of 8.5 I can find a flaw and so can any other submitter. The OP is notorious for drastically over stating the condition on his cards so it doesn't surprise me that he's mad about the grade.

have you ever seen a single card I have over-stated the condition of? never. you have never seen a single one. so your comment is completely unwarranted and unverifiable.

also, i'm not mad that someone may have made a mistake-- the question is simply has it happened to you in a blatant way on a card, and what do you/we do about it. that's all.

Members online

Latest posts