Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Move over Johnny Cueto!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bradical

Jun 21, 2009
New best fascimilie signature in Bowman belongs to Yohan Flande:

SCAN0070.jpg

Cueto:

112_blue_Cueto.jpg

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
I'd love for Topps to make a decision on the thickness of the stroke on these facsimile autographs, no sense having it vary from player to player.

Then again, these uneducated Latin American players look ridiculous when Topps' carries these first contract signatures throughout their careers.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
jbhofmann said:
In Cueto's defense, he has transformed his sig into a pretty fluid one.

images
yet like Mike said, topps will continue to use the ridiculous looking one that these uneducated latin players were coaxed into signing when they were 16 years old.

jumbojohnny

Aug 7, 2008
Its always fun to make fun of people who were so unfortunate and poverty stricken that they couldnt even learn to read or write when they were growing up.

Those stupid people that had/still have to struggle just to learn spellings of their own names and how to scribble them down...

Oh man I cant stop laughing at the idea that these people struggle day to day just surviving and not the luxury of going to school...

Oh man I am almost pissing myself because they are using tools of talent to attempt to improve the quality of their own life, and yet they still cant read and write well enough to learn a stupid squiggle that most people call a signature...

OH MAN, GOOD TIMES....end sarcasm. Why not make fun of the signature of athletes such as Chris Johnson or Chad "Ochocino"...thye are college educated, yet the sign like crap.

bradical

Jun 21, 2009
jumbojohnny said:
Its always fun to make fun of people who were so unfortunate and poverty stricken that they couldnt even learn to read or write when they were growing up.

Those stupid people that had/still have to struggle just to learn spellings of their own names and how to scribble them down...

Oh man I cant stop laughing at the idea that these people struggle day to day just surviving and not the luxury of going to school...

Oh man I am almost pissing myself because they are using tools of talent to attempt to improve the quality of their own life, and yet they still cant read and write well enough to learn a stupid squiggle that most people call a signature...

OH MAN, GOOD TIMES....end sarcasm.

Get off your soapbox.

If the signature is that terrible, why not just not use one?

jumbojohnny

Aug 7, 2008
Topps shouldnt include something as unfortunate as that...but then again they dont care what people think of the products they push out, because everybody still buys it all.

Its just sad that to make fun of Topps, is to make a mockery of these players. As for my soapbox, I rather like the view from here. I can see above the crap and have empathy and compassion for people that arent as fortuante as myself. Also having a grandfather that was illiterate and who signed his "mark" with an X...yeah I have a sensitive spot for this subject.

bradical

Jun 21, 2009
jumbojohnny said:
Its just sad that to make fun of Topps, is to make a mockery of these players. As for my soapbox, I rather like the view from here. I can see above the crap and have empathy and compassion for people that arent as fortuante as myself. Also having a grandfather that was illiterate and who signed his "mark" with an X...yeah I have a sensitive spot for this subject.

But you are okay with the exploitation of MLB Clubs who go in and sign these players, who are clearly illiterate, and sign them to contracts? You think these players know what they are signing, if they can't read?

nbailey

Apr 2, 2010
Personally, I love Flande's signature. It's very minimalist.

The one fascimile autograph that always cracks me up is Jarrod Parker.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
bradical said:
jumbojohnny said:

But you are okay with the exploitation of MLB Clubs who go in and sign these players, who are clearly illiterate, and sign them to contracts? You think these players know what they are signing, if they can't read?

Like the Braves who just signed Mr. Flande...

jumbojohnny

Aug 7, 2008
bradical said:
jumbojohnny said:

I dont know the entire process in which these players are getting signed, I cant even begin to pretend I do. What I can hope is that these guys/kids are with a legal advisor or attorney that will work for them in helping them understand what it is that they are signing. Even if just for a paycheck they council these athletes. I am not ignorant that in countries that these players are coming from there is a lot of corrupt and dishonest people. These people may be the ones advising them. I would hope that ball clubs that are attempting to sign these players are willing to invest in the safety and legal rights that people are rightfully deserving of. Also there are agents, these agents are looking to get paid also, so they probably make sure that contracts are squared off nicely...even if its a selfish reason just to get paid themselves. Also many young prospects are in touch with former pros that lend advice and wisdom. Just because they cant read doesnt mean they dont have common sense and basic understanding of being ripped off.

jumbojohnny

Aug 7, 2008
Jeff N. said:
bradical said:
jumbojohnny said:

Jeff, you tend to be the unofficial legal advisor on the boards...you are the lawyer...

What do you know of the signing process and the legal rights that a young player would have, if here in the US, if they were cohersed into signing a contract that was not correctly or fully explained, knowing that the other party took advantage of the illiteracy and poverty levels to influence a player into a contract?

jumbojohnny

Aug 7, 2008
also I would like to point out to you bradical, I am not debating the ehtical and corupt methods in which teams and companies manipulate the people into contracats. I clearly was stating my lack of respect for and the distaste in the humor of mocking the fact a person cannot read or write, even if it is in attempt to make fun of Topps. I apologize if you disagree with me.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
jumbojohnny said:
Jeff N. said:
bradical said:
jumbojohnny said:

Jeff, you tend to be the unofficial legal advisor on the boards...you are the lawyer...

What do you know of the signing process and the legal rights that a young player would have, if here in the US, if they were cohersed into signing a contract that was not correctly or fully explained, knowing that the other party took advantage of the illiteracy and poverty levels to influence a player into a contract?

There are plenty of attorneys on the board. :)

Where you're leading me to is correct -- if the player is induced into signing the contract in the US due to fraud, duress, or mistake, then there is no meeting of the minds and therefore no contract. Further, if the player is under 18 it's a voidable (but not void) contract.

I have NO idea about the laws in all of the other countries, and nor do I know about their enforceability for services to take place in the United States (my work is strictly domestic).

That being said, think about it.

The team has an investment in a player. They likely resign him when he comes to the United States and at 18 years old, he can sign his own contract. I'm SURE there are spanish speakers who interpret the contract for him. I wouldn't be surprised if the contract was in spanish.

The player has a free trip to the US, room, board, food, and he's playing a game he loves. Why leave?

It's a win win. These kids aren't as naive as you may think. They're getting paid and living a much better life.

Members online

Latest posts