Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BA's Chicago Cubs Top 10 Prospects List

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Here's hoping Szczur doesn't become Samardzija V. 2 when it comes to playing baseball fulltime.

Interesting that they have Castro at 2B and Lee at SS on the lineup card.

TOP TEN
PROSPECTS
1. Chris Archer, rhp
2. Brett Jackson, of
3. Trey McNutt, rhp
4. Hak-Ju Lee, ss
5. Josh Vitters, 3b
6. Chris Carpenter, rhp
7. Matt Szczur, of
8. Hayden Simpson, rhp
9. Rafael Dolis, rhp
10. Brandon Guyer, of

BEST
TOOLS
Best Hitter for Average D.J. LeMahieu
Best Power Hitter Brett Jackson
Best Strike-Zone Discipline Matt Cerda
Fastest Baserunner Matt Szczur
Best Athlete Matt Szczur
Best Fastball Chris Archer
Best Curveball Trey McNutt
Best Slider Chris Archer
Best Changeup Chris Rusin
Best Control Chris Rusin
Best Defensive Catcher Robinson Chirinos
Best Defensive Infielder Darwin Barney
Best Infield Arm Junior Lake
Best Defensive Outfielder Brandon Guyer
Best Outfield Arm Kyler Burke

PROJECTED 2014
LINEUP
Catcher Geovany Soto
First Base Tyler Colvin
Second Base Starlin Castro
Third Base Josh Vitters
Shortstop Hak-Ju Lee
Left Field Brandon Guyer
Center Field Matt Szczur
Right Field Brett Jackson
No. 1 Starter Andrew Cashner
No. 2 Starter Chris Archer
No. 3 Starter Trey McNutt
No. 4 Starter Carlos Zambrano
No. 5 Starter Ryan Dempster
Closer Carlos Marmol

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
The big question is where to rank Vitters. This is kind of a make or break year for him to show whether the Cubs should make him a legit option at third base.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Lee is a pretty good #4, so the Cubs future looks bright...then again, they were the prospect darling club 10 years ago and little panned out then.

tm decomposer

Aug 29, 2010
Lee is better defensively than Castro. To me, they are the same player. But Castro does show power, which Lee will never develop.

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
With Lee, you have the Korea version of a poor mans Ichiro. Worst case he is another Ronny Cedeno that cant hit the ball out of the infield.

Cubs almost took Jarrod Parker over Josh Vitters. Cubs could never get a clear indication of what he was asking for.....

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
None of you had them ranked correctly in my contest. Dave Haddad was the closest (# 9).

JAYPERS (IL): About where would you rank the Cubbies' system overall at present?

Jim Callis: I won't give away all of our farm system rankings in the 2011 Prospect Handbook, but I will reveal that we ranked the Cubs at No. 8.

ahill1

Aug 7, 2008
I like the look of there farm. Here's hoping they pan out. Lee is a much better defender than Castro that's why there are moving him.

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
Is Szczur going to play baseball full-time? His last football game, the announcers made it sound like he was set on giving the NFL a try.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Brett Keith said:
Is Szczur going to play baseball full-time? His last football game, the announcers made it sound like he was set on giving the NFL a try.

Don (Rosemont, IL): Have you heard any word on whether Sczcur will formally give up football prior to the scouting combine? How do his tools compare with Reggie Golden's?

Jim Callis: I haven't heard. He was injured for part of the fall at Villanova, and I wonder if that might help drive him to baseball, where it's easier to stay in one piece. Golden has more raw power and more arm strength than Szczur, but Szczur is a better hitter, runner and outfielder.

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
Jaypers said:
Brett Keith said:

Don (Rosemont, IL): Have you heard any word on whether Sczcur will formally give up football prior to the scouting combine? How do his tools compare with Reggie Golden's?

Jim Callis: I haven't heard. He was injured for part of the fall at Villanova, and I wonder if that might help drive him to baseball, where it's easier to stay in one piece. Golden has more raw power and more arm strength than Szczur, but Szczur is a better hitter, runner and outfielder.

Well, hopefully something, somehow gets him to commit to baseball.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Brett Keith said:
Well, hopefully something, somehow gets him to commit to baseball.

Bill (Lincoln,NE): Thanks for answering my question Jim, Do you see Matt Szczur's ceiling being something along the lines of a Grady Sizemore type centerfielder or am I just being optimistic?

Jim Callis: Not saying he'll get there, but no, that's not an unrealistic ceiling. Szczur has top-of-the-line speed and athleticism, and he can really hit.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Thought this was interesting.

Bill (Deerfield, IL): Where would the Cubs system rank if Cashner and Castro still qualified?

Jim Callis: They wouldn't be No. 1 ahead of the Royals, but they could make a case for No. 2.

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN
I'm not surprised to see Lee as starting SS for 2014 with Castro at second...I heard about it while listening to a Cedar Rapids Kernels game early in the season. The announcer said that the Cubs were wanting Lee to be their shortstop of the future while moving Castro to second, so I went out and bought a blue refractor. :D

..but I sold it. :(

CubsWSchamps

Aug 28, 2010
Lets go Hak! My boy! :D

Not a fan of Vitters, LOVE Sczur and Ha, Ha is top 10 to me, Lke Guyer, i just CANT place Simpson top 10, hes not worthy of it based on pick status alone, he hasnt pitched for us at all

Members online

Latest posts