Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Mystery parallel in Topps Update?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jul 30, 2009
I dont know what to make of this, anyone shed some light?

Ive opened boxes of 2010 Topps Update Jumbos and in every box, I got a duplicate Turkey Red card (as in two Rod Carew's).

One of those TR cards always had a very light canvas coating, much lighter than whats on the reg TR cards. Its similar to what Donruss did in 2005 with the Canvas/ Non Canvas but not as extreme.

Now if it happened in boxes from the same case, Id think it would have something to do with that. But the boxes came from totally different cases, a month and half apart.

Does anyone recall opening their jumbos and finding a dupe of a TR cards in each box? With so many TR cards in the set, it should be very hard to get a dupe in a 10 pack box.

Its worthless to scan it because you cant tell by the pic.

Jul 30, 2009
Thats a pretty good scan, you can see the difference by looking at the grass. The one on the left is the reg version.

I dont know how often the minimal canvas shows up in Hobby packs but for me, they were one per jumbo box.

Tromp

Jan 7, 2011
Kansas
I have pulled 2 of these cards that had NO canvas at all, but I have a bunch of them that are lighter or thicker on the canvas, I think that is normal. If you get ones that have no canvas at all, I think those are rare.......I sold one on Ebay for $29.99

I have a Nolan Ryan left

djrulz

Aug 7, 2008
Jamestown
I have some from Series 1. I think a Schmidt, Yount, and Halladay. They have absolutely no canvas texturing.

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
There were non-canvas variations in 2009 as well.Perhaps scans and an email to Beckett or Bob Lemke will get them recognized.
Mike

djrulz

Aug 7, 2008
Jamestown
I just scanned mine from Series 1 and I have the Ozzie Smith (I thought I had a Yount), Mike Schmidt, and Roy Halladay. I scanned them next to a regular one. It's kinda tough to see, but the cards on the right are all the Error version with No Canvas Texturing.
img386.jpg

img387.jpg

img388.jpg

Members online