Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Anyone mind catching me up to speed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

and JUSTICE for all

Aug 27, 2008
Newnan, Ga
I haven't collected for quite some time, but recently a friend and I have been experiencing a little nostalgia. Pair that up with the upcoming FCB National in my city, and suddenly all of this stuff is of interest to me again. It seems like a lot has changed since my departure from this hobby. I stopped quitting right around the time the old BMB went down, and the change just seemed like too much to deal with. I must say, though, this site has turned out to be really awesome.

I've tried to go through and scan past threads to kind of catch myself up, but with so many changes combined with the fact that I have to do all of this on my Droid (I just moved into my new place and I don't have the Internet here yet), it has proven to be quite the task. So if anyone can kind of summarize what has happened during my hiatus, i'd appreciate it.

What I've gathered:
-Topps is the only brand around now? I'm not sure if that's official licensing or period. I remember Donruss making a splash last time I looked into the happenings of the hobby.

-The use of relic cards. I searched eBay for Carlos Pena and found a lot of "bat" cards featuring non game used bat barrels. When I stopped collecting, they were starting to use a lot of that manufactured patch stuff, which I absolutely despised. Seems like a lot more of that going on. Also from reading up on the '11 Topps release, I noticed that they used the word "relic" a LOT. So what is a relic, exactly? Because from what I remember, relics were always stuff like stadium seats or infield dirt.

I was alsoo wondering how the prospect world is doing. A big factor in my decision to stop collecting was the new "RC" rule. If Topps is in fact the only company around these days, and with the rule well in affect already, perhaps the system has caught up so now it isn't even a factor? When I left, I remember there being a pretty huge deal made out of BDP releasing DP's after MLB made the RC rule and I believe there was a bit of a competition to try to be the first one to release those FY cards between the companies. If Topps is indeed the only company, there is obviously no competition, so I would imagine that they would just release FY cards at their own free will and there would be no question that the card is truly their first card.

I know it's quite a task to try to fill me in on years of events, but l would appreciate it if someone would try. It's just a lot of work to find out all of this info on a phone, haha. Thanks in advance.
-Daniel

98Whitesteed

Dec 26, 2010
I am new here, but should be able to help you out some...

-Topps is the only brand around now? I'm not sure if that's official licensing or period. I remember Donruss making a splash last time I looked into the happenings of the hobby.

Topps is the only licensed MLB product on the market. This includes Bowman, and any releases they have. Donruss is now part of a larger company Panini. They rule the NBA market for the most part.

-The use of relic cards. I searched eBay for Carlos Pena and found a lot of "bat" cards featuring non game used bat barrels. When I stopped collecting, they were starting to use a lot of that manufactured patch stuff, which I absolutely despised. Seems like a lot more of that going on. Also from reading up on the '11 Topps release, I noticed that they used the word "relic" a LOT. So what is a relic, exactly? Because from what I remember, relics were always stuff like stadium seats or infield dirt.

The world "relic" now refers to a piece of jersey, bat, shoe, hat, etc. Its an easy way to refer to all the cards with "game used" material inserted in them.

-I was alsoo wondering how the prospect world is doing. A big factor in my decision to stop collecting was the new "RC" rule. If Topps is in fact the only company around these days, and with the rule well in affect already, perhaps the system has caught up so now it isn't even a factor? When I left, I remember there being a pretty huge deal made out of BDP releasing DP's after MLB made the RC rule and I believe there was a bit of a competition to try to be the first one to release those FY cards between the companies. If Topps is indeed the only company, there is obviously no competition, so I would imagine that they would just release FY cards at their own free will and there would be no question that the card is truly their first card.

The prospect world rises and falls with the players that hit the minor league systems. Many times you will see a players card in Bowman while they are in the farm system working their way up to the MLB. Once they hit MLB level, and Topps has a chance to catch them in their MLB uni, they will make an "official" rookie card. Most times though, Bowman are the most sought after.

Hope this helps a little.

Hollywood

Jan 30, 2010
If you can stay out of the hobby with no problem I'd keep doing that. It's not getting any better. Pretty soon, if not already, players will have ten "rookie" autographs spread out over the course of 3-4 years. Game used stuff is worthless. Only the sickest of patches bring some intense bidding wars. The "RC" logo added short term value to products but greatly hurt long term investments on some players. It is a joke, which is why 05 will go down as the last great year for true rc's. Almost impossible to get good deals on prospects unless you buy immediately when products come out. Too many people doing it now, if you want to buy a sleeper with legit talent on the cheap it just doesn't happen near as much anymore. Gone are the days of buying Matt Kemp chrome auto's for 1/5 the price of an andy laroche chrome autos.

and JUSTICE for all

Aug 27, 2008
Newnan, Ga
98White- Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. I was really confused about the wording on the relic cards. I guess I was worried that none of it was actually game used anymore (then again, who is to say that it ever was!). So Topps is the only one that is licensed, but does anyone else make unlicensed stuff? When I quit I remember Razor making a big splash. Didn't really expect it to go anywhere, but I know a lot of people bought it. Also, like I mentioned earlier, I remember Donruss was about to release a really loaded product around that time. I guess as a last hoorah. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Curious as to how that did.

Hollywood- I hear yah. Not really looking to get back into collecting, I just have a good bit of rookie stuff from 03-07 I will try to sell. I just figure it helps to know what's going on with the hobby. I mean, I'm sure I will bust a box or two at the show, maybe pick up a card or two for the hell of it, but I'm content with no longer collecting. it will be interesting to see what rookies I have and if any have done anything since I last tucked them away for a few years. I regret not moving the game used and auto's I have, though.I feel like it's going to be really hard to move them... even some of the premium players I have. It's sad when something like a Mike Schmidt auto/jersey is just a basic pull now.

Darren- If I were collecting again, vintage would definitely be the way to go. The amount of product already out there, is all there will ever be. The products these days with all of the parallels and stuff, it sucks. That really killed me as a player collector, and I didn't even have it as bad as most. I remember when pulling game used of a guy like Ted Williams was special. Now, it seems like there are a billion versions of stuff like that in Triple Threads.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Donruss released 2008 Playoff Prime Cuts IV, which was HUGE....and got them sued by MLBP.

Upper Deck released 2009 Ultimate Collection, which was HUGE....and got them sued by MLBP.

So basically, topps had their boyfriend sue the crap out of everybody, and now they are wallowing in
mediocrity as the only MLBP licensed mfg of baseball cards. Most of the products they released this
year were absolutely piss poor, but all is forgiven/forgotten because people made plenty of money on
Stephen Strasburg and Bryce Harper, and 2011 will be "good" again because of Harper.

and JUSTICE for all

Aug 27, 2008
Newnan, Ga
Thanks for the info, Chashawk. I'll definitely have to read up on both companies being sued and try to find threads that had the big hits from each product. Its a shame what MLB is doing. Only having one company with no competition is pretty bogus.

francisjniskey

Oct 28, 2008
I disagree with your definition of the word relic. The word Relic is now used because it is not a authentic game used item inserted on the card. It is a term Topps uses to allow the public to assume it is a authentic game used item when in truth it could be a shirt that says Babe Ruth on it that was bought from Walmart and cut up as a relic. It also states on there cards that the "Piece of memoribilia is not from any specific game, season, or event" which furhter protects Topps legally if the company is ever sued for these fake pieces. Hence all they have to say is it doesn't say anywhere on the card it is a authentic game used item - The public basically assumed it. It just goes to show how crooked Topps is - I do however invite them to prove me wrong and show me any kind of provenance on any of there Babe Ruth items released in the last couple of years so we all know what the items/relics truly are but I am fairly certain we won't here a peep out of them as they are happy to deceive everyone because it sells them cards....

98Whitesteed said:
I am new here, but should be able to help you out some...

Topps is the only licensed MLB product on the market. This includes Bowman, and any releases they have. Donruss is now part of a larger company Panini. They rule the NBA market for the most part.

The world "relic" now refers to a piece of jersey, bat, shoe, hat, etc. Its an easy way to refer to all the cards with "game used" material inserted in them.

-I was alsoo wondering how the prospect world is doing. A big factor in my decision to stop collecting was the new "RC" rule. If Topps is in fact the only company around these days, and with the rule well in affect already, perhaps the system has caught up so now it isn't even a factor? When I left, I remember there being a pretty huge deal made out of BDP releasing DP's after MLB made the RC rule and I believe there was a bit of a competition to try to be the first one to release those FY cards between the companies. If Topps is indeed the only company, there is obviously no competition, so I would imagine that they would just release FY cards at their own free will and there would be no question that the card is truly their first card.

The prospect world rises and falls with the players that hit the minor league systems. Many times you will see a players card in Bowman while they are in the farm system working their way up to the MLB. Once they hit MLB level, and Topps has a chance to catch them in their MLB uni, they will make an "official" rookie card. Most times though, Bowman are the most sought after.

Hope this helps a little.

Members online

Latest posts