Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

A few quick questions and a poll....

Which do I choose?

• High end box

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
So I decided not to purchase a laptop just yet, so I have a bit of $ to spend and have an urge to buy some PC cards or a high end box of cards.

Should I:

A. Buy a high end box
B. Buy PC singles

I know the logical choice is to buy singles, but who doesn't have the urge to purchase a high end box every once and a while? ;) It's tough not being able to purchase from ebay (no PP acct), or else I wouldn't even be making this thread.

To my other questions....

Does anyone know of some good websites that sell autographed vintage [pre-80s] and/or prewar vintage? I know of a couple, but I would like to see if there are any good sites I have not seen yet (no auction houses, just sites that will accept the ole' debit card ;) ).

If someone posts a website that I do end up buying from, I will send them a random autographed card.

Thanks in advance!
-Scott

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
3 people don't want me to spend any money?! You are no fun! ;)

I forgot that Net54 has a page devoted to vintage card websites that I am currently checking out. Keep voting though....if a high end box does end up winning I will make a contest for the "worst" hit in the box.

Still haven't found any sites that have exactly what I am looking for just yet (1951 Topps Doerr, low grade Speaker T3/upgrade my Niles+McConnell T3, Cronin/Ferrell vintage cards I don't have...auto'ed perhaps?=], auto'ed HOFers and/or rare non-HOFers ex. Ellis Kinder, etc....stuff like that)

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island
I think it depends on how much $. Around 150 or so mabey buy a nice box or 2. Over 300 i say buy singles.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
Krom said:
I think it depends on how much $. Around 150 or so mabey buy a nice box or 2. Over 300 i say buy singles.
Right now, about 200-250 max...leaning towards singles but I just can't seem to find what I am looking for!

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island
You might regret spending the $ on a couple of boxes if you find something you like in the near future and have spent the $. I say don't compromise and make sure your 100% happy with what you buy. ;)

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
Krom said:
You might regret spending the $ on a couple of boxes if you find something you like in the near future and have spent the $. I say don't compromise and make sure your 100% happy with what you buy. ;)
That is very true....boxes seem to be better short term (get the fix, few nice cards.....but then meh) and singles are there for the long run.

The thing is with singles though....I will purchase something I needed and then be like "Doh! I should have bought that one!" I want them all, I want them all now....but that's not in the realm of possibility, sadly. :(

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
singles all the way. A high end box sounds like a fun idea right up until you're done ripping.

Be patient even if it takes a while to find what you want. You'll be happier when you have the money when those things come around rather than if you've blown your $$ on stuff you really don't want.

You could always try to post what you're looking for on net54 as well.

Eric

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
WoundedDuck said:
singles all the way. A high end box sounds like a fun idea right up until you're done ripping.

Be patient even if it takes a while to find what you want. You'll be happier when you have the money when those things come around rather than if you've blown your $$ on stuff you really don't want.

You could always try to post what you're looking for on net54 as well.

Eric
Good advice, Eric. :)

I have a few specific cards in mind and if I do not find what I am looking for I will wait it out. Although it seems like I have been "waiting it out" forever now :lol:

I just made a purchase from 707 and got an email that they had just sold it a couple weeks ago :::sadface::: (PSA 2 51 Topps of Doerr)

Ah well, the quest continues....hey, isn't that half the fun anyways?

Johnny B

Aug 7, 2008
I would definitely go for singles. I like opening boxes as much as anyone, and wish I had the disposable income to dump into cases of high-end, but that's just not the case. I spend most of my card money on singles I know I will enjoy adding to my collection. I look at it like this: would I rather have a new T206 Red Sox card, or a GU card of Dale Murphy (no offense), an auto of a guy who will likely never see the inside of a MLB stadium, and a quad-low-numbered-fuschia-refractor-parallel of Melvin Mora (the potential box contents).

I know you may pull I big hit, but I guess I'd rather know I'll be satisfied than gamble if I will. Also, even if you pull a super-duper Bryce Harper card or something, is that really something you'll cherish in your collection? Not me.

Anyways, as for an autographed vintage card site, check out this one if you haven't already:

http://www.mickeysclubhouse.com/autohome.htm

I've bought from them before and they have a nice selection. I got this from them last year. Good luck with whatever you choose to do!
Doerr49BowmanAUPSA-1.jpg

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
Johnny B said:
I would definitely go for singles. I like opening boxes as much as anyone, and wish I had the disposable income to dump into cases of high-end, but that's just not the case. I spend most of my card money on singles I know I will enjoy adding to my collection. I look at it like this: would I rather have a new T206 Red Sox card, or a GU card of Dale Murphy (no offense), an auto of a guy who will likely never see the inside of a MLB stadium, and a quad-low-numbered-fuschia-refractor-parallel of Melvin Mora (the potential box contents).

I know you may pull I big hit, but I guess I'd rather know I'll be satisfied than gamble if I will. Also, even if you pull a super-duper Bryce Harper card or something, is that really something you'll cherish in your collection? Not me.

I've bought from them before and they have a nice selection. I got this from them last year. Good luck with whatever you choose to do!
Mickeys is easily my favorite site for auto'ed vintage (but shhhh....keep it on the DL. ;) ) Bought from them a few times and am debating getting a slew of nice autos there.

The "high end" box I was thinking about was 2003 Topps Retired Signature. I would never buy any post 2006 boxes to be honest. It's 5 hits per box and one of my favorite auto'ed sets of all time (Bowman Chrome + retired/HOFers = win!)....But all in all I feel as if I would be chasing a select few cards (Yaz, Doerr ref, higher end autos, etc...). Still would be fun. ;)

PM comming though!

TBP - I need the missing piece before I do any slabbing! When it comes some time in the future SGC will get a nice fat payday. :)

shanks25

Aug 7, 2008
Buy this, Scotty!!!!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/1941-Play-Ball-...0236233179?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item5adbe45ddb

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
shanks25 said:
Buy this, Scotty!!!!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/1941-Play-Ball-...0236233179?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item5adbe45ddb
:lol:

I didnt know *** gave THAT much of a premium over PSA!

Still need his 39' though, for my set. Bit outta my budget though...

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
I made my purchase tonight....no high end box [aw], but I did get a super rare card for the Red Sox PC.

I will post a scan when it comes in...I am very excited about this one. :mrgreen:

Thanks for all of the suggestions, everyone!

Members online