Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Investment poll, want responses

Who would you buy in on

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I remember when Andrew invested heavily in Matt Weiters and tracked his progress. I think i want to do the same thing, but at a lower investment (per card).

So who would you go with, or even just have a morbid curiosity to see tracked?

Criteria would be a $20-$35 auto of a guy from a semi-recent release. I would focus on base autos and maybe some color.

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN
Personally I would diversify, but Gary Sanchez is not a bad option in my opinion. He's a moderately risky investment with potential for HUGE payoff. For the price of his colored stuff, though, I'd stick to chrome autos.

I have been and am still invested in Wil Myers and I like the direction he's headed. He is also a great option.

With the way Grichuk finished up last season, he obviously has some kind of skill, so now's as good a time as any to pick up a couple of his chrome autos or somesuch. I just fear that he could be another Josh Vitters. I'm holding what I have because of a low buy-in and potential large gains based on his HUGE power.

Also, Shelby Miller is a pretty good buy. He has really high K numbers for a respectable organization and his chrome autos are under 20 bucks.

I think the most intriguing of these guys would be Gary Sanchez.

Oh, and you might wanna fix Teheran's first name.

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
From the options on that list, in no particular order:

Zack Cox
Josh Sale
Other: Gary Sanchez

If you want something with a little more risk but a potentially higher reward, go with Yelich.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
What is Sanchez's future? Chalk it up to my ignorance, but will he be moved off his position? That unknown gives me pause; but I did think of him. Also, besides Teheran, I'm scared of investing in pitchers.

And I have a typing problem or something, because seriously, 90% of the time I accidentally hit the "n" before hitting the space when I'm on my BlackBerry typing JULIO's name...

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
I think Mitchell has some dirt cheap cards right now. I just looked again and they took a little bump.
I'm going to go with the unsexiness of a 2009 card, I guess.

After that, I think it depends when you're thinking of selling.

I like Josh Sale a bunch-tonne. I also love saying, I love Cox. Cox has been coming down lately, so I'd say invest in Cox.

AKA Coastal

Aug 7, 2008
pigskincardboard said:
I think Mitchell has some dirt cheap cards right now. I just looked again and they took a little bump.

I like Josh Sale a bunch-tonne. I also love saying, I love Cox. Cox has been coming down lately, so I'd say invest in Cox.

Mitchell looked awful in the Winter Leagues. He was just coming back from his injury. According to scouts he didn't look very good at all. That could all change after some time back on the field.

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
hive17 said:
What is Sanchez's future? Chalk it up to my ignorance, but will he be moved off his position? That unknown gives me pause; but I did think of him. Also, besides Teheran, I'm scared of investing in pitchers.

There is a possibility he could be moved from behind the plate, but of the prized catching prospects for the Yanks, I think Sanchez is the better long term solution. Whether or not he sticks around for another 2-3 years to reach the Bronx is another story. Personally, I don't think a position change will affect the value of his cards, and nor will a trade. If he does get traded, it won't hurt his present value, only what his future value will max out at. All that will really matter will be if he can hit the ball, and so far, the reports say he can hit, and he has shown he can hit.

howardpwr06

May 13, 2010
Pennsylvania
The Braves breed pitchers. The next threesome is coming with Hanson, Minor, and Teheran. Throw a vet in Lowe in there and they have a great pitching rotation. Idk if Teheran will make it up there this year but he will create a buzz and is def worth the $30 to invest in.

Just my 2 pennies.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
I still think Myers has more potential although many have already profited from his stuff. Regardless, he is a top prospect with tons of room to grow (just look at Moustakas card prices, a guy from the same system) so he got my vote in your poll.

There are other pitchers I like better than Teheran...one of whom happens to be Taillon (just sayin). Another to consider is Jarrod Parker. He's coming off TJ surgery, but all reports so far sound like he is pretty much back to his old self...and his old self was pretty darn good with upper 90s heat and outstanding offspeed stuff. This could be a big year for him.

Of the guys on your list, I also like Grichuk. If he were twice as expensive as he is now, I don't know if I would still say he is a good investment, but he is so inexpensive that he seems like a great low risk high reward type player. He has potential to be a good power hitter and should hit for average too.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
AKA Coastal said:
pigskincardboard said:

Mitchell looked awful in the Winter Leagues. He was just coming back from his injury. According to scouts he didn't look very good at all. That could all change after some time back on the field.

That's sort of the point, I guess. The way athleticism is measured in baseball isn't the same as football, so I honestly see no long-term problems from an achilles issue. When he came out, we were looking at the possibility of him focusing solely on baseball and that's what got our ******* wet.

Maybe the time to buy is further into the season, but I can't see anything that should detract from his overall potential and odds of reaching it. The only difference is that he's a year and probably about 3 months for getting his legs under him, behind where he should've been.

I still believe.

His hype has died down, but I believe it'll come back with a couple streaks.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Choice was mine. I would say, though, that since none of those guys are really a clear winner in the poll, you might try a basket of buys based on responses. Buy 1 card of each for each 5% he scored in the poll.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
smapdi said:
Choice was mine. I would say, though, that since none of those guys are really a clear winner in the poll, you might try a basket of buys based on responses. Buy 1 card of each for each 5% he scored in the poll.

That is a VERY intriguing proposal. Then we could all come back and brag when the majority was right or wrong.

I'm going to seriously think about that, b/c it gives the experiment a little flavor.

nice...

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN
hive17 said:
smapdi said:

That is a VERY intriguing proposal. Then we could all come back and brag when the majority was right or wrong.

I'm going to seriously think about that, b/c it gives the experiment a little flavor.

nice...

Ah! I also think it's a great idea.

Members online

Latest posts