Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Hold/Buy/Sell - Auto's from 2010 Bowman Draft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

numba1yankeefan

Nov 29, 2008
Long Island
Just was curious what you guys thought about the current prices of the auto's from 2010 bowman chrome draft.

Who are you buying-selling-holding??

Will add some more thoughts later.

Buying -
Michael Choice
Delino Deshields Jr

Selling -
Manny Machado (pretty obvious)

marterburn

Selling Machado & Taillon, in theory (don't have any).

To me, they're too far away from the majors and sell too well now to hold on to. Do they have the highest ceilings? Sure, but it's my personal style to buy less pricier investments. I'd rather pump money into guys that don't sell well now & could in a shorter period of time, like a number of the college guys in the auto checklist.

That said, I'm not really buying any now as I lack funds at this point, because 1. My case sucked bigtime so I had very little kick-start to the BDP buying season. 2. I bought lightly into several guys & spent the rest on a box of Sterling.

numba1yankeefan

Nov 29, 2008
Long Island
marterburn said:

To me, they're too far away from the majors and sell too well now to hold on to. Do they have the highest ceilings? Sure, but it's my personal style to buy less pricier investments. I'd rather pump money into guys that don't sell well now & could in a shorter period of time, like a number of the college guys in the auto checklist.

That said, I'm not really buying any now as I lack funds at this point, because 1. My case sucked bigtime so I had very little kick-start to the BDP buying season. 2. I bought lightly into several guys & spent the rest on a box of Sterling.

Taillon is someone I'm not sure about. His auto isnt going for crazy money but it is high for someone who is unproven coming out of highschool. I only bought a taillon ref auto because I got a great deal on it.

marterburn

numba1yankeefan said:
marterburn said:

Taillon is someone I'm not sure about. His auto isnt going for crazy money but it is high for someone who is unproven coming out of highschool. I only bought a taillon ref auto because I got a great deal on it.

Yeah he's got tons of talent, but in general, pitchers have a higher fail rate. I suppose if I bought in low knowing I'd have it for the long haul, I might hold it.

But I will have you know that I'm a terrible investor, card-wise.

Ian Stewart

Aug 7, 2008
Hold:
Taylor Lindsay - Not a fan of selling HS hitters for $2 a chrome autograph. Just not worth it.
Chevez Clarke - See above.
Ryan Bolden - See above.
Zach Lee - Big fan. I was a buyer at $10-$12. Not so much at $16-$18.
Josh Sale - Would like to see a little bit of pro data before I buy.
Deck McGuire - Too much potential to sell for cheap. Not enough confidence to buy in bulk.
Drew Pomeranz - Prices are mediocre, but I think redemptions definitely affect it.

Buy:
Jake Skole - The next Grady Sizemore. Super athletic and super talented. Also relatively cheap.
Noah Syndergaard - Really raw, but he's super cheap and pretty intriguing.
Matt Harvey - Not a big fan of buying college pitchers, but I think Harvey can be a force in NY. Not to mention, prices are low.
Christian Yelich - Big fan of Yelich's swing and I think his pro debut gave us a glimpse at what he is capable of.
Yasmani Grandal - Loads of potential and I think he will tear up A-ball this year.
Jameson Taillon - $20/chrome autograph of a potential big time ace? I'm a buyer.
Chris Sale - Is he a starter or reliever? Either way, I think what he did this year was very impressive.
Kellin Deglan - Very cheap, very raw. Low risk, high reward.
Justin O'Conner - Lots of raw power and superbly cheap.
Aaron Sanchez - Great debut. High K + groundouts = success.
Mike Foltynewicz - Intriguing and cheap.

Sell:
Manny Machado - Prices are just silly.
Michael Choice - Strikes out too much for me to be a buyer. Not to mention, prices aren't that cheap.
Delino Deshields Jr. - Speed doesn't sell and his prices aren't that cheap.
Kolbrin Vitek - If he wasn't a Red Sox, I would bet his prices would be 1/3 of what they are. College middle infielders with eh power aren't hot commodities.
Kaleb Cowart - Lots of potential, but I think he'll be a bust.
Zack Cox
Cito Culver
Chance Ruffin - Ew.
Alex Wimmers - Ew.
Mike Kvasnicka - Ew.
Christian Colon
Mike Olt
Gary Brown
Bryce Brentz

numba1yankeefan

Nov 29, 2008
Long Island
Ian Stewart said:
Hold:
Taylor Lindsay - Not a fan of selling HS hitters for $2 a chrome autograph. Just not worth it.
Ryan Bolden - See above.
Deck McGuire - Too much potential to sell for cheap. Not enough confidence to buy in bulk.
Drew Pomeranz - Prices are mediocre, but I think redemptions definitely affect it.

Buy:
Jake Skole - The next Grady Sizemore. Super athletic and super talented. Also relatively cheap.
Matt Harvey - Not a big fan of buying college pitchers, but I think Harvey can be a force in NY. Not to mention, prices are low.
Christian Yelich - Big fan of Yelich's swing and I think his pro debut gave us a glimpse at what he is capable of.
Yasmani Grandal - Loads of potential and I think he will tear up A-ball this year.
Jameson Taillon - $20/chrome autograph of a potential big time ace? I'm a buyer.
Chris Sale - Is he a starter or reliever? Either way, I think what he did this year was very impressive.

Sell:
Michael Choice - Strikes out too much for me to be a buyer. Not to mention, prices aren't that cheap.
Kolbrin Vitek - If he wasn't a Red Sox, I would bet his prices would be 1/3 of what they are. College middle infielders with eh power aren't hot commodities.
Zack Cox
Cito Culver
Chance Ruffin - Ew.
Alex Wimmers - Ew.
Mike Kvasnicka - Ew.
Christian Colon
Mike Olt
Gary Brown
Bryce Brentz

great post thanks!

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
Always a fun topic. Call me crazy but I think there are a lot of nice buys out there. First the sell...

Sell:
Machado
Choice
Lee
Skole
Olt
Culver
Brentz
Kvasnicka
Ruffin
Lindsay

Buy:
Taillon
Both Sale's
Cox
Yelich
Grandal
Pomeranz
Sanchez
McGuire
O'Conner
Wimmers

Undecided:
Vitek
Colon
Cowart (I really want to say buy, but I now have my concerns)
Deshields
Harvey
Clarke
Folty
Deglan
Brown

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Ian Stewart said:
Hold:
Ryan Bolden - See above.

Buy:

Sell:
Zack Cox
Cito Culver
Chance Ruffin - Ew.
Alex Wimmers - Ew.
Mike Kvasnicka - Ew.
Christian Colon
Mike Olt
Gary Brown
Bryce Brentz

Nice.

MichaelStanton2010

Feb 14, 2010
Great Topic! Here are my thoughts on who I would buy, if they are not on the list I would not be buying...

Zach Lee - Buy Great stuff slipped due to signablitiy fastball has hit 95 but offspeed pitches have great depth/movement
Drew Pomeranz - Buy Very polished and close to the majors. Could debut in 2011
Yasmani Grandal - Buy Dominated Collegiate pitching, I like his chances to surplant Mesoroco down the line. Will be middle of the order run producer for years to come
Jameson Taillon - Buy Comparisons have been made to Josh Beckett by several scouts, needs to work on command of offspeed stuff...a great prospect due to high ceiling and great fastball!
Kaleb Cowart - Buy High School Player of the Year higher batting avg then Machado, if for some reason the switch hitting 3b is not successful then convert back to SP. Scout's really did not pay as much attention to his bat...size projects to future HR power.
Zack Cox - Buy Elite auto's were selling steady for $20 upon release on the "best college hitter in the draft" chromes are currently selling 25% or more less! Rack em up fellas, while you can!
Alex Wimmers - Buy One of the closest to the majors, early success and quick flip...chrome auto's are dirt cheap which makes these very attractive!
Christian Colon - Buy Again one of the more polished hitters in the draft not too far away from the majors on a team that is rebuilding, next year Colon should make his MLB debut and stick with the club

I realize these may not be the best overall prospects in BDP, however these will offer the quickest ROI due to closest to the Majors, upside or low sale prices vs some of the guys like Machado, Choice, or Sale

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I would be a bigger buyer/investor/believer of Taillon if he wasn't going to be stuck in Pittsburgh for his early career.

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
I'm a buyer of Josh Sale at current levels (since his blue refs are way down to $70 each). I'm a believer in his power and once he starts to hit...his autos should see a nice climb to Machado and Taillon levels.

brianga26

Aug 7, 2008
Atlanta, GA
see here are my thoughts on these guys.

Sell:
Tallion.. Pirate.. Dead area.. look at how their prospects do $$$ wise
Colon-Royal.. Does he have the Moose power? or Hosmer? I don't think so. Middle infielder with average Pop.
Culver-Might be a utility guy at best

Tweener- Machado.. Orioles? Maybe top $$$ if he hits well

BUY:
Z Cox-Power hitter, can drive the ball, SEC kid.. I would buy him
Z. Lee-Might take a while for his $$ to come around, but Dodger equals big market
M. Harvey-Big Arm and a Met
Chevy Clarke, and Kaleb Cowart-Both LA guys. Both can be a force with Trout

onlythefinest

Jun 2, 2010
My ? is why not buy Machado at the prices they are at now. When the guy makes it to the bigs and hits 1 hr everything will go up. Im not saying that theres the most money to be maid on him, but you wont be able to buy a refractor in a few years for $80. Just my thoughts, Im new to this prospect game.

numba1yankeefan

Nov 29, 2008
Long Island
I got a pretty good deal on a Zack Cox blue ref auto for $60 BIN, next one sold at auction for $90. Should I try for the quick flip or hold longer? Dont really know much about him.

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
numba1yankeefan said:
I got a pretty good deal on a Zack Cox blue ref auto for $60 BIN, next one sold at auction for $90. Should I try for the quick flip or hold longer? Dont really know much about him.

I was the second highest bidder on the Cox that went for $86.01. I bid so high because the card was centered well. I'd imagine that $86.01 price isn't the norm, yet.

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
bballcardkid said:
numba1yankeefan said:

I was the second highest bidder on the Cox that went for $86.01. I bid so high because the card was centered well. I'd imagine that $86.01 price isn't the norm, yet.

Cox is overrated IMO. He won't be better than an average MLB player.

Members online

Latest posts