Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BA's St. Louis Cardinals Top 10 Prospects List

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Long on relievers, short on position players.

TOP TEN
PROSPECTS
1. Shelby Miller, rhp
2. Zack Cox, 3b
3. Carlos Martinez, rhp
4. Tyrell Jenkins, rhp
5. Allen Craig, of/1b
6. Lance Lynn, rhp
7. Eduardo Sanchez, rhp
8. Seth Blair, rhp
9. Jordan Swagerty, rhp
10. Joe Kelly, rhp

BEST
TOOLS
Best Hitter for Average Zack Cox
Best Power Hitter Allen Craig
Best Strike-Zone Discipline Daniel Descalso
Fastest Baserunner Reggie Williams Jr.
Best Athlete Tyrell Jenkins
Best Fastball Shelby Miller
Best Curveball Jordan Swagerty
Best Slider Blake King
Best Changeup P.J. Walters
Best Control Scott McGregor
Best Defensive Catcher Tony Cruz
Best Defensive Infielder Ryan Jackson
Best Infield Arm Pete Kozma
Best Defensive Outfielder Shane Robinson
Best Outfield Arm Tommy Pham

PROJECTED 2014
LINEUP
Catcher Yadier Molina
First Base Albert Pujols
Second Base Skip Schumaker
Third Base Zack Cox
Shortstop Pete Kozma
Left Field Matt Holliday
Center Field Colby Rasmus
Right Field Allen Craig
No. 1 Starter Adam Wainwright
No. 2 Starter Shelby Miller
No. 3 Starter Jamie Garcia
No. 4 Starter Carlos Martinez
No. 5 Starter Tyrell Jenkins
Closer Mitchell Boggs

ahill1

Aug 7, 2008
So where does Kozma rank? I see he is listed as having the best infield arm and also listed as starting SS in 2014

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
ahill1 said:
So where does Kozma rank? I see he is listed as having the best infield arm and also listed as starting SS in 2014

He's one of my questions in the chat. Didn't have a very impressive season at the plate, but still likely their best defender at SS. Probably in the 20's, if I had to guess.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
ahill1 said:

Kelly (Jefferson City, MO): How far did Pete Kozma's stock drop this year, in your opinion? Still a top 30 guy?

Derrick Goold: Still a Top 30 guy, though entering a defining year for the former first-round pick. Kozma's performance is a riddle, and he seems to be idling at Double-A. I think it's important to rub the Porcello envy and the early overstatements out of our eyes and judge Kozma on his merits alone. Observers believe in his glove, are concerned about his bat. This hasn't changed much from when he was drafted. The error total is alarming, and better focus could be a cure. Kozma will turn 23 early in this season, and there's internal hope that he makes the climb to Triple-A this season and asserts himself as a first-round talent, one with a bat that belongs in a lineup and not a glove that leads to utility.

ahill1

Aug 7, 2008
Jaypers said:
ahill1 said:

Kelly (Jefferson City, MO): How far did Pete Kozma's stock drop this year, in your opinion? Still a top 30 guy?

Derrick Goold: Still a Top 30 guy, though entering a defining year for the former first-round pick. Kozma's performance is a riddle, and he seems to be idling at Double-A. I think it's important to rub the Porcello envy and the early overstatements out of our eyes and judge Kozma on his merits alone. Observers believe in his glove, are concerned about his bat. This hasn't changed much from when he was drafted. The error total is alarming, and better focus could be a cure. Kozma will turn 23 early in this season, and there's internal hope that he makes the climb to Triple-A this season and asserts himself as a first-round talent, one with a bat that belongs in a lineup and not a glove that leads to utility.

Thanks for posting this. I still have a few of his autos im waiting to unload

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
I'm not a scout or anything, but Kozma sucks and his glove isn't keeping him on the radar in this organization.

Fielding:
2009 - 25 Errors, .957 Fld%
2010 - 34 Errors, .948 Fld%

This ONLY reason his name is even brought up is because he had 28 doubles and 13 HR's in 500 AB's last year. But his OPS wasn't good (.702).

Unless he can completely turn it around with the glove, he will never step foot on a ML diamond as an SS.

My guess would be another "learning" year at AAA with about the same in the field and you are looking at late 2012 or 2013 before he even gets a chance to start for the Cardinals. If ever.

Ohhh Porcello :(

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
I was briefly the high bidder on the Cox Superfractor.Oh well, screw it, now I have more to spend on other cards.Centering sucked on it anyway.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
craiger122003 said:
So if Craig is listed why not Jon Jay?
Is he assumed to be a regular now?

Assuming you're referring to the top 10 list, Jay is no longer a prospect.

Members online

Latest posts