Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Summer of 49' Mailday!!! *Scans added*

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
Okay folks....FINALLY got my all-in-one printer all set up on my dads PC. For some reason it wouldn't finish downloading the software for my other printer but I had an untouched all in one printer that I dug up and got it all set up. I find that most all-in-ones scan decent when they are not in slabs, but once slabs come in to play... :?

ANYWAYS....the title of this thread is "Summer of 49 mailday". One of my favorite books....I would highly recommend it if you enjoy reading baseball books. It tells all about the Red Sox and Yankees during that season and their playoff runs. Goes into depth on most of the players/managers for both teams. Both Vern Stephens and Ted Williams hit 159 RBIs that season :eek: . Yankees went off to win the WS that season with the Sox just missing the playoffs by one game. :(

9780060884260.jpg

Well, just so happens that a big part of that team was Mr. Ellis Kinder. He went on to win 23 games while losing only 6, an incredible season. Perhaps overshadowed by his teammate Mel Parnell (25-7). It was an unfortunate ending to the season, as many thought that was the year for the Sox (they had a hell of a team..).

Back to my mailday, I have been eyeing this card for AGES and I had a bit of leftover Christmas/work money so I decided I would splurge and finally buy it. Easily the rarest auto in my PC (died in 68'), and my first signed 52' Topps:

kinder.jpg
:)

It cost a good chunk of change but I'm glad to finally own it. It's a beaut in person!

I also got a Rich Gedman 82' Topps auto [not scanned] with my order for $1.50. ;)

Last but not least....belated shoutouts to Rebelpawn and TNP777!! Huge thanks to both of them as TNP sent me a crazy awesome custom Doerr cut auto [my first custom!] and Rebelpawn a TON of Red Sox RCs/inserts/base/GU/autos (including my first Yaz RC!). :D Thanks a ton guys....greatly appreciated, they will stay in my Red Sox PC for quite some time. I will try to get them scanned soon enough for all to see.

EDIT - Scans added at bottom of page 1!!

Sorry for the long post guys but I am excited as I haven't posted a mailday in a while! Thanks for looking,

-Scott

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
Re: Summer of 49' Mailday!!!

Nice pick up on the 52' Scotty! and thank you for the tip on the book. I have been looking for something good to read.

shanks25

Aug 7, 2008

Awesome awesome awesome mailday, Scotty!!!!!!

LOVE that book.....

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008

mlbsalltimegreats said:
Nice pick up on the 52' Scotty! and thank you for the tip on the book. I have been looking for something good to read.
Thanks a lot Tony...I'm actually surprised you haven't read it yet! The same author wrote The Teammates, which I am going to assume you have read ;) . If you pick it up though you won't be disappointed....who doesn't love reading about the Sox/Yanks rivalry?!

shanks25 - Thanks a ton, Chris...thought you may like it! I knew that book was one of your favorites as well. I actually would like to start reading another baseball book when I'm done with Winter School, any recommendations?

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008

Always like seeing a Red Sox mailday. Good work!

shanks25

Aug 7, 2008

scotty21690 said:
mlbsalltimegreats said:
Thanks a lot Tony...I'm actually surprised you haven't read it yet! The same author wrote The Teammates, which I am going to assume you have read ;) . If you pick it up though you won't be disappointed....who doesn't love reading about the Sox/Yanks rivalry?!

shanks25 - Thanks a ton, Chris...thought you may like it! I knew that book was one of your favorites as well. I actually would like to start reading another baseball book when I'm done with Winter School, any recommendations?

Scotty,

I'd highly recommend "playing With the Enemy" By Gary W. Moore

It's about American G.I.s that teach Nazis how to play baseball in a WWII prison camp......great read!!!!!

tm decomposer

Aug 29, 2010

Nice pickups. Thanks for the book rec. I just finished Dirk Hayhurt's "Bullpen Gospels".

wideright

Aug 7, 2008

Great 1952 card Scott!! I'll have to check out that book sometime. :D

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL

Very nice Scott! Mel Parnell actually had an auto in 2006 Heritage. They don't come up too often, but when they do they really don't go for a ton of cash (in the grand scheme of things.) Usually around $30 or so.

2006ROAMP.jpg

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh

it's about time you have a mailday post Scott. some of us miss seeing your awesome vintage Red Sox pickups :mrgreen:

I will have to get a copy of that book. I remember my grandfather telling me all about the Red Sox 1949 season and Ted's 159 RBI's. the Kinder auto is fantastic as well.

congrats on all the cool additions and way to go Rebelpawn and TNP777 for the freebies.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008

George_Calfas said:
Great auto!
Thanks a lot George, and great Maris auto yourself. :)

MojoDan - Thanks Dan...haven't posted any in quite some time, I have been slacking!

jay1065 - Thanks again Jay...and yes they are very good guys. :)

shanks25 - Sounds very interesting Chris, I'll def pick that one up when I'm done with school.

tm decomposer - I have heard a lot about that book, what is that one about? I heard it was a great read though....thanks.

wideright - Thanks Dave! If you do check out that book let me know how ya like it. :)

mudflap02 - Whoa! That's a sweet friggen auto....I will def have to keep an eye out for that one!

pghbuccos - Ha, thanks Dave...I just started working again last fall and had been saving up for school and a laptop, I then decided that I am going to wait on the laptop so I would treat myself to a nice vintage Sox card. :D It's unbelievable the seasons that some of the Red Sox players had that year, if only they didn't fall one game short. What couldda been....James and Geordie are very good guys, scans comming!

chromerookies - Thanks Dan...thought you may like that one a bit. ;) I actually had a choice between the 52 Topps and the 55 Topps and it was a no brainer for me (even though I really like 55 Topps...)

Scans, as promised:

From Rebelpawn, just a small sample:

redsoxgroup.jpg

In it was a couple hundred Red Sox cards, but the inserts/base/RC are in the process of going in binders. I'm so thrilled that I FINALLY own a Yaz RC. :mrgreen: A lot of Masterson in Red Sox uniform, too....I haven't had a chance to add to that player collection in a while now. Thanks again James!

And from TNP777....

doerrcustom.jpg

That's better than anything Topps makes nowadays! Thanks again Geordie!

-Scott

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
you're very welcome, Scott. As soon as I saw it, I knew it had to have a new home.

I must give credit for the cut auto to Doran (aka HeritageAddict). He makes a lot of terrific cuts - he often shows them off on CU and CBT.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
TNP777 said:
you're very welcome, Scott. As soon as I saw it, I knew it had to have a new home.

I must give credit for the cut auto to Doran (aka HeritageAddict). He makes a lot of terrific cuts - he often shows them off on CU and CBT.
I love it, thanks again. :)

And yes, very nice work by Doran...does he still make custom cuts?

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
Summer of 49, very good book.
The Teammates, Great book!
Im reading a Ted Williams biography right now, cant remember the autho, but it came out in 2004. I never realized how much the sortswriters hated him. I knew there was a lot of animosity there but I didnt realize it was at the level that it was. Good read so far though.