Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Prospect Autos on the rise!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sigma_chi

Apr 14, 2010
NE Arkansas/SEMO
So as we're getting closer to spring training as well as the BA Top 100 list and other publications top prospects rankings I have noticed the little uptick in prospect auto ending prices lately. Has anybody else noticed? I just sold a Mike Trout base chrome auto for $73 dlvd via BIN which seems like a pretty high price for that card not that I'm complaining. On the other hand, guys I have been buying for pretty much the same prices have seen increases as well.

Lonnie Chisenhall base chrome auto just sold for $18 dlvd (routinely get 10-12)
Nick Franklin base chrome auto just sold for $25 dlvd (i just bought a ref auto for that price 2 weeks ago)
Bobby Borchering base chrome auto just sold for $18.50 dlvd (bought one for 10 last week)

The question is this because these cards rarely seem to come up auction style at this point in the year, or are people starting to get interested in baseball and prospects again with football season winding down? I have been buying all winter but it looks like that door might be closing if these prices are going to be the norm. Has anybody else noticed their guys going for a little more lately?

Exposfan

Mar 16, 2009
Hartland, WI
Its happening a bit earlier this year, normally prices rise just after the SuperBowl. Many people then stop buying Football, and put their focus and funds into baseball.

zookerman182

Aug 17, 2008
Huntsville, AL
yeah, because its tax time and spring training is around the corner.

Those are the 2 reasons why im probably going to be buying in at crazy high prices, like a moron

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
Hit the BIN on a Shelby Miller Blue ref auto for my PC today after losing a reg ref auto that went for $40+.

A buddy told me those were going for $100 at release.

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
Sweet, forgot I even had this
DSC01093.jpg

mwashuc06

Aug 7, 2008
Someone hit a Matzek Ref Auto BIN for 33. Looks like I caught that Matzek X-Fractor just in time..

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
mwashuc06 said:
Someone hit a Matzek Ref Auto BIN for 33. Looks like I caught that Matzek X-Fractor just in time..

If Matzek gets hot im going on vacation

sigma_chi

Apr 14, 2010
NE Arkansas/SEMO
an Alex Liddi base chrome auto just ended for $13 dlvd...they could be had for about 5-6 each dlvd before this. Of course this could just be an anomaly because the same seller had another end an hour later that only got $8 dlvd. Plus I bought a ref auto last night for $8 dlvd.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
I know everyone is high on Trout, but 70+ for a base auto seems steep at this point. I'd sell. There's too much that has to go right to sustain or go higher.

I have a weird suspicion that this year is going to be about the guys that have already made a small splash in the bigs. Guys like Trout, and Myers have a bit to go yet.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
nborton said:
I know everyone is high on Trout, but 70+ for a base auto seems steep at this point. I'd sell. There's too much that has to go right to sustain or go higher.

I have a weird suspicion that this year is going to be about the guys that have already made a small splash in the bigs. Guys like Trout, and Myers have a bit to go yet.

I think that last year's rookie class was so strong that some guys went unnoticed despite big production. 2011 will be a year where those guys get some recognition.

I'd be selling or holding Trout right now, no way I'm a buyer at $70+ on him. He may go up, but there are just too many far better buys available. I still think Myers has room to grow. Compare him to other top prospects (Trout, for example). While he's not going to be a top 3 (possibly #1) prospect in all of baseball, he certainly has top 10 potential, but his chrome autos are still only getting half of what Trout's are? Seems like there's room for a lot of growth there.

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
I had a bunch of cards on my watch list last night, and it seemed like every single auction ended 20% higher than usual, or usual.

I don't know what it is, but it was across the board, with many different guys I was targeting.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
hail2thevictors said:
I had a bunch of cards on my watch list last night, and it seemed like every single auction ended 20% higher than usual, or usual.

I don't know what it is, but it was across the board, with many different guys I was targeting.

Football season winding down and Spring Training on the horizon. It's a great time of year, lots of these cards will only continue to go up through ST as we move into the season. I know you probably know, but Montero is yet another prospect whose cards have seen some jump lately.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
nborton said:

I think that last year's rookie class was so strong that some guys went unnoticed despite big production. 2011 will be a year where those guys get some recognition.

I'd be selling or holding Trout right now, no way I'm a buyer at $70+ on him. He may go up, but there are just too many far better buys available. I still think Myers has room to grow. Compare him to other top prospects (Trout, for example). While he's not going to be a top 3 (possibly #1) prospect in all of baseball, he certainly has top 10 potential, but his chrome autos are still only getting half of what Trout's are? Seems like there's room for a lot of growth there.

Yep, that's totally how I see it. I'm not saying Myers is done growing either. I was just mentioning him as a guys who's not going to see MLB time soon.

Basically, like you said, last years class is stronger than what's remaining in the minors. I think this is the year a they see movement.

Members online

Latest posts