Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Topps 1975 PSA 9....My stupid quest

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigfan5

Aug 7, 2008
I purchased my first packs of baseball cards in 1975 and have been hooked ever since. As the years went by and I travelled in and out of card collecting I'd always be drawn to that first set I collected. Unfortunately I didn't have a mom who threw away all my cards as I did it as a guilty six year old who though he had messed up. By the time I realized that it was alright to have the cards after all, most were in a garbage truck. I still have a few of the originals and they're beautifully soft and bent the way vintage looks best. Cut to many years later and I've grown bored with modern cards and was looking for a way to get excited about collecting again.

Enter vintage....the Topps '75 set that I've always loved. My first attempt was only Dodgers from the set but once I saw them I knew I had to get the whole set.

It'll probably take many years and more money than I want to think about but my goal is to complete the set in either PSA 9 or 10. I've already broken down and purchased a couple of 8's because the cards are either expensive or hard to find but I'll try to stick to 9's and 10's. These cards still look best after they've been handled and worn but then again, something about seeing them pristine in cases reminds me of buying them new as a kid.

I'll try and keep this thread updated and if anyone here has any 9's or 10's from the set that I don't have please let me know as I'll always be buying and trading for these.

Thanks for looking and as of now I've got 123/660 for 17.8 completion.

Here are the highlights of the set so far:

223YountRobinTopps75.jpg
228BrettGeorgeTopps75.jpg
616RiceJimTopps75.jpg
620RookieCatchersTopps75.jpg
Only 11 of these exist at PSA 9:
647WashingtonClaudellTopps75.jpg
Only 10 of these exist at PSA 9:
053GiustiDave75Topps.jpg
180MorganJoeTopps75.jpg
220SuttonDon75Topps.jpg
320RosePeteTopps75.jpg
370SeaverTomTopps75.jpg
500RyanNolan75Topps1.jpg
300JacksonReggieTopps75.jpg

SamHell

Jun 12, 2010
Texas
You are off to a great start! The Yount is absolutely beautiful. Are you keeping up with your progress on the PSA Registry?

Mr.Whipple

Banned
Apr 19, 2009
Joisey
I did a psa 7 complete 75 set, Because it's my birth year. Also the prices of 7's is pretty reasonable and they still look great. Only one of two sets from the 70's for me in my collection. Other being a 71 set that was bought complete in 1986 for 45 bucks at a flea market. I spent a weeks pay on it also, Talk about a hungry week at work on the farm.

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
This is what the hobby is all about, connecting with your youth and collecting what you like not what you can flip for a profit. Good luck with the set.

Bigfan5

Aug 7, 2008
Jastermereel said:
Great/Tough set. The Nolan is going to be pricey.

There's a Ryan on ebay with a 1700 BIN/BO and the seller refuses to let me use Paypal and has ignored 1200.00 and 1300.00 bids....So yes, I'd say it'll be one of the most expensive to get.

JoshHamilton said:
Does anyone on the Registry have a straight 9 set?

As was replied before, yes, there are some sets at all 9's or very close to it with enough 10's sprinkled in to bring up the average.

I'm only at 90 right now on the registry so even with some of the key rc's, I have a long way to go to be considered having a nice set.

So far, so fun which is great.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I love the quest. A PSA 9 Yount might be my next goal.

And for anyone who is not aware of the sticker shock in going from an 8 to a 9, the Younts I've been tracking end at $60-ish in an 8 and routinely get $350+ in a 9. Might have something to do with that set.

njlw226

Jul 13, 2009
Wow, as I started reading your post I thought "no way can he do it"...then you showed what you have so far and I think you can definitely do it! Would be an awesome set because the centering can be pretty tough for 75s, and any flaws on the borders seem to show more because of the bright colors. Truly impressed with what you've put together so far. +1 to you, and good luck!!

Members online

Latest posts