Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Adrian Peterson... no love?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reljac

Apr 12, 2010
Pearland, Tx
I know the Vikes had a bad year and it's probably not the best time to sell him. But I was cleaning out some cards this year that I'm not attached to as I try to make my collection a bit smaller.

The thing that has me confused is that I have an Adrian Peterson RC listed (opening bid only $19.99).. it's PSA 10 and is the only PSA 10. After 4 days, it's one of my only cards with no watchers and no bids (other than a bunch of cards I listed for under $0.50).

Are the Adrian Peterson collectors hibernating?
Is he not considered one of the top backs in the NFL anymore?
Are people just focusing on the playoff teams?
Are collectors already moving on to baseball?

Although the card is an insert, it should be a tough 10. It was insert on the outside of retail only packs and has a colored border that was easily damaged on a lot of the other Fantasy Rookie Team cards I got.

ljw29

Feb 3, 2010
reljac said:
Are the Adrian Peterson collectors hibernating? Nope
Is he not considered one of the top backs in the NFL anymore? He is on a weak team, kind of Steven Jacksonish this year
Are people just focusing on the playoff teams? Yep people want whats hot then
Are collectors already moving on to baseball? you bet your bottom dollar

reljac

Apr 12, 2010
Pearland, Tx
Figured... bad timing on my part.

I thought it was probably more of an offseason issue now, since I have a Chris Johnson Rookie Insert and a Ray Rice that is also getting zero love.

reljac

Apr 12, 2010
Pearland, Tx
mstng99tim said:
I can't see you getting more than $10 for that card to be honest.

Thanks for the advice. You may be right... at that point I'll just stick it to the side for my son.

most of the ungraded ones on ebay are priced $8.00 to $15.00.

Slette

Jul 24, 2009
St Paul
AP collectors are looking for his autos, nicer patches, and better RC's - a rookie year insert probably won't be viewed as something desirable in the eyes of most of his collectors, even though it is the only graded 10. Outside of SPx Shadowbox cards, inserts really aren't worth anything to football collectors.

CollectorsCorner

Super Moderator
Feb 13, 2009
Slette said:
AP collectors are looking for his autos, nicer patches, and better RC's - a rookie year insert probably won't be viewed as something desirable in the eyes of most of his collectors, even though it is the only graded 10. Outside of SPx Shadowbox cards, inserts really aren't worth anything to football collectors.

::facepalm:: so untrue

reljac

Apr 12, 2010
Pearland, Tx
I think the thing that shocked me the most is that there is only one Adrian Peterson Master Set collector....

On the flip side in baseball there are already 4 or 5 Gordon Beckham Master set collectors.

This AP is already listed as part of that master set.

Slette

Jul 24, 2009
St Paul
So are you going to back up your statement or just leave it at a smiley? Taking out the rarer 90's stuff and refractors (they're parallels, not inserts), name an insert that is highly sought after among football collectors.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
J-Rod said:
Slette said:

I think looking for and paying for are two different things. There's a lot of guys that are looking for all of the AP stuff, the problem is that these inserts are a much better buy outside of eBay and raw. Paying a premium for AP PSA 10s isn't the best idea when you can get a raw for a buck or two on a trading forum.

If you want to sell RCs and RC-Inserts, you've gotta give it more than 4 or 5 years. Everyone still has their APs pulled out and ready to sell, and most of the people that *HAD* to have it, already purchased it.

You can make good money on these things, but you've gotta wait until other sellers start putting that stuff away. Alternatively, you can be the guy with everything and then people will come to you.

reljac

Apr 12, 2010
Pearland, Tx
pigskincardboard said:
You can make good money on these things, but you've gotta wait until other sellers start putting that stuff away. Alternatively, you can be the guy with everything and then people will come to you.

Yeah, I figure if it doesn't sell I'll put it away. I was just cleaning up some stuff around the house. Trying to make room for a third child.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
reljac said:
pigskincardboard said:

Yeah, I figure if it doesn't sell I'll put it away. I was just cleaning up some stuff around the house. Trying to make room for a third child.

Children cost something like 350,000 by the time you kick them out of the house for life. Just a pleasant reminder.

reljac

Apr 12, 2010
Pearland, Tx
pigskincardboard said:
Children cost something like 350,000 by the time you kick them out of the house for life. Just a pleasant reminder.

I guess I need to get a T-shirt that says, I could've gotten a Honus Wagner, but instead I had three kids!

Gellman

Sep 2, 2008
J-Rod said:
Slette said:

I disagree, I think Slette's whole statement is pretty much 100% truth.

I couldnt care less about rookie year inserts, and like most Vikings collectors, I only want autographs.

Unlike baseball, this is pretty much the way football functions.

reljac

Apr 12, 2010
Pearland, Tx
Gellman said:

yeah, I think that might be what I missed on. No loss though if it doesn't sell, we live, we learn =)

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Gellman said:
J-Rod said:
Slette said:

I couldnt care less about rookie year inserts, and like most Vikings collectors, I only want autographs.

It's not to the same extent as baseball, but I"m not sure what you're talking about. It's not like Rookie Cards sell for peanuts. It's very common for non-topps/bowman parallels to get over $100.

If you're only interested in autographs and patches, that's cool but there are a lot of other people out there.

As I said, it's more a function of time than it is player.

Slette

Jul 24, 2009
St Paul
pigskincardboard said:
Gellman said:
J-Rod said:
Slette said:

It's not to the same extent as baseball, but I"m not sure what you're talking about. It's not like Rookie Cards sell for peanuts. It's very common for non-topps/bowman parallels to get over $100.

If you're only interested in autographs and patches, that's cool but there are a lot of other people out there.

As I said, it's more a function of time than it is player.

Not sure if you were addressing Gellman or me, but I did mention that AP collectors did go after his better rookies in my original post. What non-Chrome parallels are you referring to that reach over $100? The only non-autoed/jerseyed parallels I can think of that might approach $100 are the Ultra Lucky 13 Gold/Platinum Medallions or Elite die cuts.

And I'm not looking for an argument - I'm genuinely wondering.

Latest posts