Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Been way too long, pen question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

padremurph

Aug 7, 2010
Haven't gone for an IP on card auto in probably 10 years. What's the best pen for on card autos? Is it just a standard sharpie? Should I use a different pen based on the gloss? I'll probably be getting Ginter/Heritage and standard 2009/2010 Topps. Do I need different pens?

Thanks for the help.

17ROCKIES12

Aug 13, 2008
I use blue Sharpie almost all of the time. Occasionally I'll use a black Sharpie if I think it would look better. If it is a player with a very detailed signature I'll use a fine sharpie.

cwells46

Aug 7, 2008
Pigeon Forge, TN
nd538522_sk_lg.jpg

The Stadetler lumocolor is without a doubt the best pen/marker for autographs. I use the medium point blue and have never had an issue, this is the same pen that trading card companies use for their signings with players....They are not the cheapest thing around but probably the best IMO

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
cwells has the best, but if you are looking for cheap:

Ballpoint for vintage
regular sharpie for anything else. You would have to pick the color, telling what would look best on the back round.

I know this board is against prepping cards, but that is another thing you should do if the card is super glossy

cwells46

Aug 7, 2008
Pigeon Forge, TN
I prep every card with baby powder including the older paper stock cards.....Sometimes the sharpie will bleed/bubble on those and the baby powder trick works wonders on them as well.....

padremurph

Aug 7, 2010
Thanks for the replies. Can I get that lumocolor pen at Michaels? I probably need a black one for gold parallel Topps, a blue one for the Ginters and Heritages and a gold one for black parallel Topps. How much do they run?

What exactly does prepping entail? Thanks for all the help.

cwells46

Aug 7, 2008
Pigeon Forge, TN
I would say this is your best bet....

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/3 ... ine-Point/

There is several different ways to prep cards....There is the baby powder method that I prefer which is basically putting a very light amount of baby powder on the card and rubbing it all over the card with your fingers, the talcum in the powder makes the marker stick much better and leaves the gloss look. You can also use an eraser to removed the gloss and it has the same effect, but may damage the card more than the powder from my past experiences.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
cwells46 said:
I would say this is your best bet....

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/3 ... ine-Point/

There is several different ways to prep cards....There is the baby powder method that I prefer which is basically putting a very light amount of baby powder on the card and rubbing it all over the card with your fingers, the talcum in the powder makes the marker stick much better and leaves the gloss look. You can also use an eraser to removed the gloss and it has the same effect, but may damage the card more than the powder from my past experiences.

Plus, it doesn't work as well.

Go with baby powder (or anything with talc in it).

That is your best bet.

Members online

Latest posts