Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Operation Bullpen book

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
Anybody else read this book. To me you can't put it down once you start reading it. Very good read on the autograph business. I always thought their would be a follow up book. I know one of the dealers busted now works for the FBI in helping point out the fakes. He was in HBO special on the UD cuts Ruth/Cobb/ debacle. How he knew a couple of those were Greg Marino fakes on that card. Marino is the main forger from the book, he could do almost any auto. Some almost exact. I wonder what he is doing now. He claims to have done over a million fakes that got put into circulation.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Not yet but trust me...its on my list of books to purchase next.Right now I am trudging through Friday Night Lights.Its a pretty good book too although its about football.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
nyc3 said:
Thats a great book not only a great read but opens your eyes to the shady side of the hobby. If I may make a suggestion go get "the card" its about psa encasing the t-206 Wagner knowing it was cut and trimmed from a factory sheet.

http://www.amazon.com/Card-Collectors-H ... 557&sr=8-1

I need to read The Card book and Cardsharks. If they are even close to being as good as Operation Bullpen they will be good reads. I just started reading Operation Bullpen again. It is such a good read, not only a great story of how this FBI guy went undercover and all the stuff he learned about the business. It is interesting how Marino even got started in the forging business with his father's paintings. The Chuck Wepner stuff (the guy Rocky movie is semi based off) is fascinating. How he was even selling fake Ali pictures of his fight with him. His sig was real, but Ali was faked on them. Or how the Marino crew worked and how Gregg watched tapes of how Dimaggio signed at shows. To help improve his fakes. Or he would sit and sign stuff all day long almost everyday and still couldn't keep up with the orders coming in.

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
Ill offer a trade....

First person to confirm they will send me a copy of this book (used ok), Ill trade you a Razor Exclusives autograph of a top 5 pick... First PM gets the swap!... BG

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
razorent said:
Ill offer a trade....

First person to confirm they will send me a copy of this book (used ok), Ill trade you a Razor Exclusives autograph of a top 5 pick... First PM gets the swap!... BG

Trying to learn the arts of forgery from the experts eh? :lol:

Just kidding.

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
Nope... care about the hobby and this sort of CRAP is unacceptable to our little industry.... BG

p.s.- thanks for FCB member, book on way...

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
razorent said:
Nope... care about the hobby and this sort of CRAP is unacceptable to our little industry.... BG

p.s.- thanks for FCB member, book on way...

Aw man...come on.I was just kidding with ya.Not everybody here hates you! :lol: ;)

Its supposed to be a pretty good book.I want to get a copy when I get a chance.Also...somebody mentioned card sharks.That was a pretty good read as well although I wish they would come out with an updated version to cover the hobby up until now.I think it would be very interesting if they covered some of the crap going on now.It might even change the way we buy cards.

The coolest thing about Card Sharks is they detail the backdooring and reprinting of certain cards and even cases.There may be more copies of the Griffey Jr. upper deck rookies than any other Upper Deck card out there.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
Let's us know what you think of it zazorent. I'm not a big book reader. But once I started reading Operation Bullpen I could not put it down.

Latest posts