Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Lesnar vs Couture! The Aftermath!

Who's going to win?

• 'The Next Big Thing' Brock Lesnar

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

http://www.prowrestling.com/article/news/10190

UFC's Major Announcement: Brock Lesnar vs. Randy Couture

Date Added: September 02, 2008

Story By: Tim Brown

UFC has announced they will be holding a conference call this afternoon at 3:00 PM EST to make a major announcement. The announcement is expected to be that Randy Couture has come to terms on a contract and will make his UFC return to fight Brock Lesnar. If so, he will be facing off against the former WWE champ on November 15 in Portland, Oregon.

If everything goes through, this will likely be the biggest fight of Brock Lesnar’s career.

Russ S.

Aug 10, 2008
VA / DC / MD
Re: Lesnar vs Couture to be announced.

RANDY RANDY RANDY!!

Will be a total ass whoppin'.
Welcome to the big show Brock! (Please take notes)

G

You guys don't think that Randy may be getting too old?

What is he, like 45?

I don't know how well a 45 year old is going to do against the younger guy.

I'll be honest, I'm newer to the MMA game and really am not all that familier with Couture, except his name and highlights.

So I am eager to hear what people think about how they feel the two of these guys will match up in the octagon.

From what I read online, he's similar to Lesnar in the ground and pound, and has some BJJ and other ground game for subs. Which Lesnar lacks.

It will be very interesting to hear what people say, and to see what happens.

Bornagaincollector

Aug 7, 2008
Cleveland,Ohio

One thing for sure is that Couture will test that chin of Lesnar's.I think Randy wins this just by his submission skills alone.If Lesnar was to win this fight,it would be have to be a TKO.

pac_rat_76

Aug 10, 2008
Minnesota

I'm a Lesnar fan, but I don't think he can pull this one off! Randy's all around skills far outweigh Lesnar's at this point and I would also suspect Couture to submit him, maybe in the 2nd round. I will certainly be rooting for Brock though and who knows... he may catch him with one great shot and put him down or Randy may not be @ the top of his game due to his age. I suspect Couture will be ready and he's still a top fighter, regardless of age. JMO

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ

wow.

well, i will say this, It will not be boring!!

however, as I have stated in the past, randy fighting guys like fedor/brock who are younger (and in fedors case, as talented or better of a fighter than randy) and have the better physical attributes is something that has to be considered when evaluating a fight like this.

remember, its all just rumor until an actual site such as ESPN or Sherdog confirms it.

But, if it does take place, this is what im looking at:

power: brock (brock lesnar has about 40+ pounds on randy, and is no question stronger than him in every way)
conditioning: brock (both are very well conditioned, but brock takes this category. his age is the determining factor)
endurance: randy (randy has been doing this since brock has been in high school, and randy has what it takes to last longer if it was to go 3 rounds of Couture Style fighting)
chin: randy (brock has never been hit hard yet, he is untested. randy is proven to be able to last)
ground game: randy (randy has mastered the ground and pound style, and is a proven champion. brock failed against frank mir on the ground and got caught by mir into a leglock)
submissions: tie (both are more ground and pound styles, and each could match up the same in this category)
wrestling: brock (divsion 1 all american champion in college. we saw how he kept herring disabled on the mat, and i imagine he will do the same to a smaller couture)
KO ability: tie (the hit brock landed on heath herring showed what power brock has, and if he has kept up training, he could land a huge KO at any time, but, randy couture has done the same thing for years and has won belts doing it and thats why we cant discredit him)
ring experience: randy (very obvious here)

on paper, this seems to be an even fight, with Randy winning 4 categories to Lesnar winning 3, with two ties.

but, in the end, I think both have a legitimate chance of winning.

my vote goes to Randy, due to experience. but once again, anything can happen in a fight, and i would not be the least bit surprised to see brock walk away a winner, and if he does, he will fight for the UFC Heavyweight Championship, as back to back wins vs Heath Herring and Randy Couture are not small feats

...but once again, a 45year old Couture is better than 99% of the 25 year old fighters out there!!

mikekarlovec

Aug 7, 2008
Hobbs, NM

Shouldn't Randy be fighting Nogs to retain his title?? i know Mir and Nogs are scheduled to fight for the title after the TUF but come on Nogs is the interim champ due to Randy leaving. Or will the Lessnar fight be 5 rounds and for the title with Randy going in as the champ?? it will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ

mikekarlovec said:
Shouldn't Randy be fighting Nogs to retain his title?? i know Mir and Nogs are scheduled to fight for the title after the TUF but come on Nogs is the interim champ due to Randy leaving. Or will the Lessnar fight be 5 rounds and for the title with Randy going in as the champ?? it will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

I would assume that the winner goes on to face Nogiuera (or the current HC champion).

good scenario though, because if Brock wins, isnt he in turn the actual Heavyweight Champion, since Nogs was an "interim" for Couture?

peaceandlove

Aug 7, 2008

if UFC.com enough confirmation for you HPC? lol

they annouced that Nog/Mir will still fight and the winner of that will fight the winner of Randy/Lesnar in 2009 to unify the belt. Lesnar better hope for a KO or a ton of take downs and grind out a decision. he also better hope he doesn't get sub'd.

G

HPC said:
remember, its all just rumor until an actual site such as ESPN or Sherdog confirms it.

It's confirmed.

Go to http://www.ufc.com to check it out.

Dana White had a press conference today.

Wonder how much Randy's been training. He did just do a movie.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ

peaceandlove said:
if UFC.com enough confirmation for you HPC? lol

I'd also like a letter signed in blood, two DNA samples from each competitor, and a video of dana white holding todays newspaper next to an atomic clock.

:mrgreen:

peaceandlove

Aug 7, 2008
Re: Lesnar vs Couture to fight at UFC 91 in November.

gotta love Lesnar's mouth:

During the conference call to announce the match up, Lesnar was questioned about the number one ranked heavyweight in the world, Fedor Emelianenko and his response was an explosive one.

"Who gives a **** about Fedor Emelianenko?" Lesnar started "I'm sick and tired of sitting on the phone listening about Fedor. Who f***ing gives a ****?".

With one line, Lesnar could possibly have become one of the most hated men in MMA. Fedor is beloved by fans and quite a few people do give a **** for about the "Last Emperor".

G

peaceandlove said:
gotta love Lesnar's mouth:

During the conference call to announce the match up, Lesnar was questioned about the number one ranked heavyweight in the world, Fedor Emelianenko and his response was an explosive one.

"Who gives a shat about Fedor Emelianenko?" Lesnar started "I'm sick and tired of sitting on the phone listening about Fedor. Who f***ing gives a shat?".

With one line, Lesnar could possibly have become one of the most hated men in MMA. Fedor is beloved by fans and quite a few people do give a shat for about the "Last Emperor".

I think he meant that more in reguards to him not being in UFC and not an option to be fighting in the forseeable future.

I mean seriously, why all the damn questions about Fedor when all the people asking them KNOW damn well that Lesnar can't fight him anytime soon.

Ask the questions when it's a possibility. And Dana's said it's not an option to cross promote with Affliction. So stop asking the damn questions.

Lesnar's no where near ready for Fedor anyway, so I am sure he honestly doesn't give a sh*t about him right now.

G

Both of the fighters are going to be all over ESPN today.

Lesnar and Couture were just on Mike & Mike in the studio. It was pretty entertaining.

Talked about both of their pasts, what it's like to be going around doing interviews together, etc.

So I assume they will be all over about every ESPN show today.

They seem to like each other. I don't think Cuuture will say anything to disrespect Lesnar like Herring did.

They said that the fight WILL be for the UFC heavyweight title. I read elsewhere that they winner of this will fight the winner of the interem heavyweight title match in 2009 to unify the title.

G

Okay, I have a question for all the big time MMA fans around here.

I know there are a lot of you who aren't fans of Lesnar.

But how would you feel and what would you say if he beats Couture for the UFC Heavyweight title? They have announced that this fight WILL be for Randy's title, and that the winner of this will fight the interem champion in 2009 to unify the titles.

I have heard a lot of people saying that Brock hasn't proven anything yet, and that he needs to do a lot more to get respect. So if he beats Randy, will that have proven anything at all, or will I just hear the excuse that Randy is too old, and been away too long filming movies and such if Brock beats him?? Of will I hear that he still hasn't proven anything until he unifys the titles?

I'm not saying I think that Brock's going to beat him. I have no idea what's going to happen. I am just excited to watch and can't wait to see what is going to happen.

I think that Randy will finally test Lesnars jaw though. So that will be interesting to see. Brock needs to get his ground and sub game and elusivness together as much as he can before November though.

I'm interested in hearing more thoughts on this from the hardcore MMA guys like Ty, who I know hates Lesnar, lol! Tell me why Brock has no chance. I want to be informed as to what Randy's strengths and weaknesses are, because I'm not too familiar with him fighting wise.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ

Sam

I wrote on the 1st page of this thread what the strengths and weaknesses are and who wins what category.

...and honestly, i think people wouldnt be surprised at all if lesnar wins considering he is fighting someone 15 years older than him

peaceandlove

Aug 7, 2008

I think he meant that more in reguards to him not being in UFC and not an option to be fighting in the forseeable future.

I mean seriously, why all the damn questions about Fedor when all the people asking them KNOW damn well that Lesnar can't fight him anytime soon.

Ask the questions when it's a possibility. And Dana's said it's not an option to cross promote with Affliction. So stop asking the damn questions.

Lesnar's no where near ready for Fedor anyway, so I am sure he honestly doesn't give a sh*t about him right now.[/quote]

the question asked wasn't about him fighting Fedor. it was if he thought Fedor was the #1 HW in the world, if he wanted to see him fight in the UFC, and if he thought Randy could beat him if/when that fight happened.

peaceandlove

Aug 7, 2008

Sam Banks said:
Okay, I have a question for all the big time MMA fans around here.

I know there are a lot of you who aren't fans of Lesnar.

But how would you feel and what would you say if he beats Couture for the UFC Heavyweight title? They have announced that this fight WILL be for Randy's title, and that the winner of this will fight the interem champion in 2009 to unify the titles.

I have heard a lot of people saying that Brock hasn't proven anything yet, and that he needs to do a lot more to get respect. So if he beats Randy, will that have proven anything at all, or will I just hear the excuse that Randy is too old, and been away too long filming movies and such if Brock beats him?? Of will I hear that he still hasn't proven anything until he unifys the titles?.

i personally would like to see lesnar win. just don't think it will happen right now. he's too inexperienced and i think the UFC is rushing his growth too much to capitalize on his marketing potential. had lesnar been doing MMA longer, i don't think it would be close at all. as it stands now, i think he gets sub'd.

Members online