Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The 2010 FCB Top 25 Prospects in Sports Cards LIVE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
1. Blake Griffin - LA Clippers Power Forward- His recent emergence as a hobby staple can't be ignored. Neither can his highlight reel style of play and endearing personality. When he was drafted people wondered if his physical style of play would translate to the NBA where he would have to out muscle grown men. The early results say that it translates quite well. Recently we have seen a Tim Duncan style short range style from Blake, and I am sure other adjustments are to come. His National Treasures rookie is the card to get, but it's quickly approaching the Lebron James level of card sales. Those wanting a good, affordable rookie card of him seem to be going for the Topps Chrome refractor numbered to 500 copies.

2. Bryce Harper -Washington Nationals Right Fielder- He is the most hyped baseball draft pick of all time. This coming a year after his team took Steven Strasburg another massively hyped draft pick. Bryce is considered an elite power hitter, with all star level defensive tools that should make him a fan and hobby favorite for years to come. Time will tell what his key rookie card is, for now we have the 2010 Bowman Draft Aflac autograph.

3. Taylor Hall -Edmonton Oilers Left Wing- In the eyes of many experts the 2010 Hockey draft is one of the best of all time, and Hall leads that class. The #1 overall pick is an elite goal scorer. His combination of speed, soft hands and impeccable shot placement are complimented well by his ability to instinctively react to defenders. His ability to work over defenders makes it look like he has precognitive abilities. Like Harper, the book isn't closed on Hall rookie cards. I expect his top tier card to come out of Upper Deck's “The Cup” product, but for now you can pick up his Panini Certified for about $100.

4. Mike Trout -Anaheim Angels Center Fielder- In order to break down the abilities Trout displays some evaluators have invented the term “6 tool athlete” just for him. Jim Callis of Baseball America quoted a scout who said that a Mikey Mantle comparison for Trout is a pretty good one. His 2009 Bowman Draft autograph card is the one to have, with Bowman Sterling being an affordable option.

5. John Wall -Washington Wizards Point Guard- His first step looks like a blur. His card sales started off with a bang. He has only started building his game and reputation. As hot as his cards have been, it's only the beginning. The patch autograph out of Panini Limited seems to be the way to go for now with Wall, though I am sure National Treasures will have a card that blows it away. For now, my personal favorite is the Donruss Rated Rookie autograph.

6. Sam Bradford -St Louis Rams Quarterback- The clear best player in 2010 Football products seemed to be destined for a rough rookie year. The Rams don't have much around him and many thought that no rookie quarterback could succeed there. Sam proved doubters wrong with a pretty good season with all factors considered as 3500 yards from a rookie qb in a struggling offense is not too shabby. It also helps that people who know football have raved about his ability as a pocket passer, and expect him to put up some gaudy numbers soon. Topps Five Star Football will certainly have his key card in it. The Topps Chrome auto is also a good staple card for collectors.

7. Jesus Montero -New York Yankees Catcher- If this were strictly a baseball prospect list, Montero would fall a bit due to his glove and positional uncertainty. However there is no denying the special card status that top dog Yankee prospect always gets. The general consensus on his cards is that the time is now as his cards are on an uphill climb to spring training. If he comes up this year as a Yankee and crushes bombs, the glove won't matter and the cards will explode again. As his rookie cards go, 2008 Bowman Draft is where it's at.

8. Domonic Brown -Philadelphia Phillies Outfielder- Another guy given a boost by his prospect status within his franchise, Dom certainly has all the tools to justify his hype. I am fully aware of his struggles at the big league level when he was called up last year, and I am willing to overlook them because his baseball ability is off the charts. His 2008 Contenders Autograph is his rarest card, I expect people to chase the 2010 Bowman Sterling autograph as well due to it being his first autograph in his MLB uniform. When you shop for one, try and find a copy that has the autograph all on the sticker, he got a little pen happy when signing.

9. Tyler Seguin -Boston Bruins Center- There was a back and forth debate of who was the #1 Prospect for the 2010 Draft between Taylor Hall and Seguin. The Oilers took Hall, but the Bruins and Oilers teams won by drafting the #1 ranked player at their age. The Bruins have been working him in slowly, but unlike when they had Joe Thornton a decade ago they at least have him involved in his rookie season. Stephen Stamkos credited Marc Recchi for being one of the biggest influences in his career leading to him leading the league in goals last season. Seguin is studying under Recchi, will the results be the same for him in the near future? Much like all of the 2010 Hockey draft class, The Cup Hockey will have the key card.

10. Tim Tebow -Denver Broncos Quarterback- There are plenty of Tim Tebow doubters, as he is the most polarizing figure on this list. Any prospect list is all about upside, and few have more than him. He was a legendary college football player who has a huge following that was his before he ever played a NFL down. If Tebow has a good NFL career his cards will drastically increase in value, at a rate like we haven't seen before. If you think Blake Griffin's 2010 hobby climb was sudden, Tim Tebow could eclipse that if he has similar success. His card to get will come out of Topps Five Star, but don't overlook the UD collegiate stuff as a lot of his following comes from the Florida Gators.

11. Aroldis Chapman – Cincinnati Reds Pitcher- 105 MPH. That's the first, and main thing you need to know about this Cuban defector. ESPN, and MLB Network have covered and will continue to cover Aroldis' every move. Will he be a starter or stay in the pen? We don't know yet. If he can improve his control and secondary pitches, we definitely have the potential for another Strasburg on our hands. His key card is his 2010 Bowman Chrome autograph, although he has many other acceptable options. The 2009 Elite Extra was the first, and is the most rare base version at only 695 copies.

12. Mike Moustakas -Kansas City Royals Third Baseman- The Royals are loaded with prospects, and light on star big leaguers. This is great for prospects because there is no way for them to be blocked because of a big name occupying their position. This is great for Mike, who has done nothing but excel at every level of minor league play and has earned a shot at the big leagues. His bat profiles extremely well, especially at third base. His arm is above average, and he makes all the plays. His range at third has come into question. His card to get is the 2008 Bowman autograph, and the 2007 Bowman draft rookie card parallels are definitely worth a look as well.

13. Julio Teheran -Atlanta Brave Pitcher- What does it take to draw a Pedro Martinez comparison? Julio has given us an answer to that question. In a scouting world where these type of measuring stick statements are over used, this one may actually hold up. Julio is a bit of an oddity. It's rare to see a small guy throw massive gas with seemingly little effort like he does. He easily glides through his delivery only to have the ball explode out of his hands. It's this lack of effort that could keep him out of the bullpen, and starting games. This is excellent for his cards, because people just don't collect relievers. His card to get is the 2010 Bowman Chrome autograph, but don't ignore the 2009 first year chrome card.

14. Jameson Taillon -Pittsburgh Pirates Pitcher- When Taillon is mentioned two schools of thought always come up. The first raves about how he is mature beyond his years, has electric can't miss stuff and a competitive drive that sets him apart from any other pitcher in his class. They will also mention that he was the only player that made some evaluators even think about saying they might be willing to consider drafting him over super draft pick Bryce Harper. Then in the card world they will mention how his first year autographs are criminally cheap. The other side will simply say, Bryan Bullington. If you decide his massive upside is worth the risk like I have, then his 2010 Bowman Draft autograph is for you.

15. Dez Bryant -Dallas Cowboys Receiver- NFL Recievers are at their best when they are the center of attention. Dez certainly has the personality to be just that, and if he puts up huge numbers in a cowboys uniform his cards will get a huge bump. His rookie year showed that he does have the talent, and the only question is will the offensive scheme used by the cowboys next season feature the type of passing game that would benefit Dez. As is the case with all NFL rookies, look to Five Star, National Treasures, and Topps Chrome.

16. Jeff Skinner -Carolina Hurricanes Center- Jeff is the youngest all star in NHL History. He is also the front runner for the Calder Trophy, given to the NHL Rookie of the Year. In a draft that has received so much hype via Taylor Hall and Tyler Seguin, this is the guy who stands out initially. His performance and position on so many statistical leader boards has people thinking maybe he is the NHL rookie to watch. I can't wait to see what The Cup Hockey has in store, especially for cards of an Jeff Skinner. Not the guy I thought I would be excited about getting cards of, but when he plays like a superstar these things happen.

17. Wil Myers -Kansas City Royals Outfielder- Teenagers aren't supposed to smack around Carolina League pitching with a .966 ops. Yet Wil Myers did just that, making him one of the bigger steals of the 2009 draft, as he slid to the second round. He is going to move to right field now, as catcher didn't work out. His bat profiles well there, and he should see more at bats because of the position change. His 2010 Bowman autograph is the key card, although his 2010 sterling parallels are quite nice as well even without an autograph.

18. Gary Sanchez -New York Yankees Catcher- Unlike senior Yankee farmhand Jesus Montero, young import Gary Sanchez is considered a top notch defender. Offensively he has put up staggering numbers in a short stint in the gulf coast rookie league, followed by an acceptable intro to full season baseball. Gary reminds me of another pudgy 16 year old kid with the ability to rip a baseball named Miguel Cabrera. The pinstripes and Yankee logo he wears helps his card stock even more. He will be a must have for Yankee collectors making his 2010 Bowman Draft autograph a key hobby card.

19. Freddie Freeman -Atlanta Braves First Baseman- Freddie is a personal favorite of mine, and I currently own one of his best cards. The 2007 Bowman Draft Superfractor of Freddie Freeman has been a favorite in my collection since FCB member BigFan5 made it possible for me to own it. As a prospect Freddie brings plenty of the table when the discussion is offense. He's mashed all levels of the minors with an approach that is aggressive when it has to be, and selective enough to hit for average and move runners. He's simply a smart hitter, and should be a fantastic run producer. Freddie is also a plus defender with good instincts and a great arm. He does not run well, but his job is to drive in runs not steal bases. Freddie's 09 Bowman chrome auto is the card to get, but don't ignore the 2008 Aflac autograph. That card has massive potential.

20. Manny Machado -Baltimore Orioles Short Stop- Manny has drawn comparisons to super star Alex Rodriguez. I think it's best to step back from that comp and realize that they are mainly talking about the obvious similarities such as frame, and position rather than a comparison of skill. Yes it's true that Manny is excellent at the plate and has the ability to drive the ball to all fields. However A-Rod was a different animal than Machado as he did absolutely everything on the baseball field right. He will have to slide to third base as he fills out, the range isn't there to play short stop in the majors. His bat should still be good to elite even with the position change, so this isn't a big worry when considering his card status. Pick up the 2010 Bowman Draft autograph, it is the best auto in the set.

21. Jarrod Parker -Arizona Diamondbacks Pitcher- Tommy John surgery always throws up a red flag for people buying prospect cards, and as a bit of added uncertainty in an already risky game of expensive pitching prospect speculating perhaps the warning is best heeded. Still, his electric stuff makes him worth the risk and there are reports of a successful rehab and a strong 2011 season from parker. Get his 2008 Bowman Chrome autograph while you can.

22. Miguel Sano -Minnesota Twins IF/OF- Big body, thunderous bat, you can hear him taking batting practice in the parking lot. He is a raw hitter who hits the ball well to all fields, but hasn't been tested against top tier pitching. It's uncertain what position he will play, few evaluators think he will stay at short stop. His age has been investigated by the Twins, who were cautious before handing him a $3.15 million dollar signing bonus. The 2010 Bowman Chrome card is the card to get of him, and the best in the set. If you are looking for a cheaper card pick up the 2010 Bowman Sterling parallels.

23. DeMarcus Cousins -Sacramento Kings Power Forward- Cousins is potentially a physically dominating force waiting to put it all together as he adjusts to the NBA. Currently he shows flashes of exceptional play, only to mess it up because of his apparent lack of discipline. If he ever figures out how to handle himself like a professional he's a superstar. Much like John Wall, Panini's National Treasures Basketball should contain his best cards.

24. Shelby Miller -St. Louis Cardnials Pitcher- Shelby throws one of the better curve balls I have seen videos of. It moves so much that it almost looks like a wiffle ball. With the curve hes armed with about every pitch in the book. Most pitches he locates well, but has struggled placing his curve in the strike zone. He came in the draft at a hearty 6 foot 4 inches and 215 lb. That is a frame just built for a marquee front line starter. I think he has true ace potential. Look for his 2010 Bowman Chrome card, if it's too rich for your blood the sterling parallels should do just fine.

25. Kyle Gibson -Minnesota Twins Pitcher- This position was a toss up, as it was almost Jeremy Hellickson. Leading up to the 2009 Draft Kyle was known as the best pitcher available not named Strasburg. He had been dominant in the NCAA, Cape League and on Team USA. But right before the draft an arm injury gave teams some concern and forced him to fall in to the lap of the Minnesota Twins. His first MILB season was anything but spectacular with him climbing the ranks from Single A to Triple A in one season. His Bowman Chrome Rookie has been the most popular as with any prospect, but don't sleep on the value of the Team USA autographs from Sweet Spot or Ultimate. Strasburg taught us that if a players value blows up, than those super rare Sweet Spots will blow up as well.

Just missed: Jeremy Hellickson, Dustin Ackley, Jhavid Best, Zach Cox, Dellin Betances, Eric Hosmer (due to lack of cards) Kyle Drabek, Desmond Jennings, Mike Montgomery, Jacob Turner, Evan Turner, Casey Kelly, Jon Singleton. Matt Moore, Brandon Belt, PK Subban.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
cgilmo said:
bump for list views
Let's get some hard returns in that list.

And I'm sorry Bruins fans, having Tyler Seguin above Jeff Skinner is a joke at this point. Sure, the pedigree going into the Draft for Seguin was greater, but with 50 games into their respective NHL careers...statistically it isn't close.

sebpoo

Aug 7, 2008
Montreal, P.Q.
200lbhockeyplayer said:
cgilmo said:
bump for list views

And I'm sorry Bruins fans, having Tyler Seguin above Jeff Skinner is a joke at this point. Sure, the pedigree going into the Draft for Seguin was greater, but with 50 games into their respective NHL careers...statistically it isn't close.

100% agree.
Also i don't want to be a homer but not seeing P.K. Subban on this list is a bit of a disapointment.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
sebpoo said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:
cgilmo said:
bump for list views

100% agree.
Also i don't want to be a homer but not seeing P.K. Subban on this list is a bit of a disapointment.

PK is in the just missed. And yes, Seguin over Skinner was tough. The draft status and team of Seguin pushed him over Skinner.

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
200lbhockeyplayer said:
cgilmo said:
bump for list views

But on hobby potential, which this was based off, Seguin is higher than Skinner regardless of current stats.

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008
200lbhockeyplayer said:
cgilmo said:
bump for list views

I would have thought someone would have more issue with Halls ranking before Seguin. Hall's +/- of -10 isnt too impressive. Seguin isnt being leaned on like Hall either.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts