Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

won a card, received a card, but its off-center/different

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaveH

Apr 28, 2009
its only an Aaron Sanchez refractor auto... but the picture in the auction was of a different card... a very nicely centered one. and the auction stated "Mint Condition"... though it did not say "you are bidding on the card pictured in the auction" ... it didn't say much of anything, except "Mint Condition"... and the seller has 100% feedback.

Is it worth it to complain? It's really not too bad, but it is a disappointment. it's ok from l-r, but top-to-bottom is pretty o/c. :(

excel_B

Feb 5, 2009
Baltimore, Maryland
Perhaps he didn't have a scanner or too lazy to take a picture, so he used someone else's picture from Ebay and used it to sell your card. You should contact the seller and tell him about your situation...

f2tornado

Aug 14, 2008
Grand Forks, ND
It is a load of crap. I'm confident most card sellers are aware centering affects price therefore showing a nicely centered card and shipping crap is nothing short of fraud. I was having so many problems I wrote a brief eBay guide on the topic. Hopefully eBay makes a rule requiring sellers using stock images to explicitly state such in the item description. Lazy sellers should note this anyway in order to limit potential buyer complaints/claims.

http://reviews.ebay.com/Beware-of-Stock-Images-and-Photos_W0QQugidZ10000000018894629

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
If I bid on a card, and see a photo with no mention that it's a stock photo...I assume I'm getting the card in the scan.

If I don't, and the card/condition isn't to my liking, I'll contact the seller. If the seller balks, I'll file an "Item not as described."

I have no problem with seller's using stock photos, just declare them as such.

ebechols

Jan 20, 2011
Montgomery, AL
I agree with 100lb, it is not ethical to use a stock photo of a single with a simple mint description. The card is definitely not a mint card, so I would try to resolve the issue with the seller. If he balks file a dispute.

Rickzcards

Sep 26, 2008
Sin City
autocut said:
A lot of people do that. It's to the point, if it is not in the description, you have to ask questions.
Really? If the seller doesn't state that the card pictured is a stock then it is more than reasonable to assume that you are bidding on the card in the picture. It's silly to think you have to question every scan/picture for every auction. What happened is either deceptive or a "bait & switch".

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
ebechols said:
I agree with 100lb, it is not ethical to use a stock photo of a single with a simple mint description. The card is definitely not a mint card, so I would try to resolve the issue with the seller. If he balks file a dispute.

1 hundred pound? Does that mean you only half-way agree with him???

:)

glewis22

Jan 8, 2010
autocut said:
A lot of people do that. It's to the point, if it is not in the description, you have to ask questions.

Yeah and telling him its Mint when its off center is his fault too right?

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
autocut said:

Completely disagree. If you don't plan on sending the exact card pictured just write that its a stock photo in the description or you set yourself up for a chargeback that you will lose if the buyer is unhappy. It takes all of 2 seconds to write stock photo or 2 mins to get an actual scan, and it's not like scanners are expensive anymore either.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Call me crazy (and Dave, YOUR opinion is the only one that matters, not mine), but I don't know as the card in the auction isn't the same one. Could be my eyes playing tricks, but the auction card looks rather OC too.

But if you're sure it's not, then return it; it's your right as the buyer.

Halonut

Aug 7, 2008
hive17 said:
Call me crazy (and Dave, YOUR opinion is the only one that matters, not mine), but I don't know as the card in the auction isn't the same one. Could be my eyes playing tricks, but the auction card looks rather OC too.

the sigs are a little different but the centering is just as bad in the auction photo. it's the white background which is throwing it off.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Halonut said:
hive17 said:

the sigs are a little different but the centering is just as bad in the auction photo. it's the white background which is throwing it off.

Nevermind my point, the autos are TOTALLY different. Good catch. It's a completely different card.

DaveH

Apr 28, 2009
thanks for the feedback guys. again, i'm not upset or anything. just disappointed. but i don't think its worth it to file a chargeback or ship it back. if it was a higher-dollar card, then i would... but i don't want to spend $3 shipping it back when i only spent $10 in the first place.

I just hope this isn't a trend thats going to get more popular with sellers

SamHell

Jun 12, 2010
Texas
As a seller, is there any good reason for not listing the serial number of the card? The seller in this case didn't and I've been noticing more on ebay.

Members online

Latest posts