Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Autographed Baseball Question Regarding Mantle / Dizzy Dean

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johan Santana 57

Aug 8, 2008
Harrison, NY
Hey guys, I know most of you do cards, but I know there are some memorabilia collectors out there!

I just got in this ball, a Dizzy Dean autographed ball, but it also has a Mantle AU on the sweet spot. I am positive that the Mantle is a fake, whether it be a clubhouse or just added by someone randomly later, I don't know. I did a PSA Quick Opinion for the Dean itself and it was likely genuine (looks really nice actually!)

Now to my questions, obviously it isn't a single signed baseball, but how much does the Mantle being on there hurt the value? The Mantle is nowhere near the Dean auto so it could still "display as a single signed ball" as I have seen others describe it.

I have not seen many sell, so does any one have any idea what I could expect for something like this? I am into the ball pretty cheaply so I'm just gonna let it ride on eBay with the PSA DNA Quick opinion as opposed to spending 100+ to get the full letter, but right now, what would you guess its worth? I was thinking it could range anywhere from 300-500? It is also on a Wilson Professional Ball, A 1060, and can't find any info about the ball, but was told that it is a vintage ball from the 50s.

Here are some pics:

IMG_0550.jpg
IMG_0551.jpg
IMG_0553.jpg
IMG_0554.jpg

Thanks for any help,
Tom

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
I remember there is a service where they can remove the ink from the ball (similar to tattoo removal if I understand it correctly). If you are positive the Mantle is false, I would see if you can find them, (obviously the Mantle is fake).

It might be worth it...

Johan Santana 57

Aug 8, 2008
Harrison, NY
Yeah I know it isn't authentic, the Dizzy Dean is all I care about though. I don't think removing it would be the best idea, that usually hurts the value. Plus, JSA or PSA can tell if there is a removal as well I believe, so there really is no point.

PujolsCollector

Jan 17, 2011
St.Louis
Johan Santana 57 said:
Yeah I know it isn't authentic, the Dizzy Dean is all I care about though. I don't think removing it would be the best idea, that usually hurts the value. Plus, JSA or PSA can tell if there is a removal as well I believe, so there really is no point.
when I get home I can compare an index to the ball it looks right so far.

vintagerookies51

Aug 10, 2010
Just keep the Mantle on there. PSA/DNA might not authenticate because the ball was altered or something if you remove it. it won't hurt the value too much.

Johan Santana 57

Aug 8, 2008
Harrison, NY
vintagerookies51 said:
Just keep the Mantle on there. PSA/DNA might not authenticate because the ball was altered or something if you remove it. it won't hurt the value too much.

Yeah I'm keeping it on there. I am not subbing it to PSA since they said they won't authenticate it if the Mantle isn't real. That doesn't make sense since if the Dizzy Dean is real, they should say one is real and the other isn't, but on the phone they said they wouldn't. Because of that, I am just going to list it with the PSA Quick Opinion on the Dean as "Likely Genuine" and that is usually good enough. I am really curious on a value though since I don't know how much to expect, how much the Mantle, as well as the type of ball, affects the value of the ball.

abeabe

Oct 3, 2010
You'll get a over $175 but sig is faded, SP and has a fake mantle auto on same ball. All bad things, hurt the good Dizzy dean auto'ed ball.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
abeabe said:
You'll get a over $175 but sig is faded, SP and has a fake mantle auto on same ball. All bad things, hurt the good Dizzy dean auto'ed ball.

It's really hard to get a bold sig on a ball that old, and some people prefer SP. If it is "Dizzy" Dean, that factor doesn't matter as much IMO.

The Mantle may hurt a lil though.

Members online

Latest posts