Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BGS auctions Rodgers SPA NFL 1/1 logo patch- what a joke!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
Beckett started the auction for the 2005 spa Aaron Rodgers 1/1 nfl logo patch (raw card) two days ago and it didn't not have any bids at $4000 starting.

Then amazingly, yesterday, somehow the card was slabbed by Beckett, given a gem mint grade, a new scan of the freshly graded bgs 9.5 was placed in the auction, and now the card is up to 7 grand. Looking up the bgs grading number, it was graded yesterday, reportedly.

Talk about total conflict of interest.

jamuser304

Apr 24, 2009
Almost every card Beckett sells on consignment gets a 9.5 or higher. The Strasburg Superfractor was horribly off center (30/70 at best) and still managed a 9.5, and this card clearly has 2 white corners. Its the perk of hiring Beckett to sell your cards for you.

Gellman

Sep 2, 2008
BGS Grades the Rodgers SPA Logo a 9.5 DURING the auction

This is such an incredible conflict of interest, I cant understand why people still put stock in this scam.

http://www.sportscardsuncensored.com/?p=3650

I have seen the large scans of this card before, and to see the corners get a 9 is a joke as well. I guess this just adds to the whole punch line.

Jared

Oct 22, 2009
Re: BGS Grades the Rodgers SPA Logo a 9.5 DURING the auction

That's terrible. It even says that if you use magnification you can see 2 white corners. Last time I checked, you don't get a 9 grade for 2 white corners.

HEAVYHITTER

Oct 31, 2008
I was going to post about this card yesterday. I think it's total BS they can sell anything under their name to begin with. Now thats its slabbed and a 9.5, just makes them even more of a crook.

*****EDIT*******

JUST SENT THIS TO THEM ON THE AUCTION

No way this card gets that grade if you aren't selling it. It obviously has 2 white corners and the fact that you get a hold of it and slab it that grade in the middle of the auction during the superbowl week. Just wrong. With all the bad publicity you got from opening what appeared to be "loaded" boxes for your online box breaks you would think you would not want more bad publicity. While your at it why don't you put out a press release in the next mag that the Book Value of this card is $20,000... This is just sad...

bradical

Jun 21, 2009
I understand the morality surrounding the grade given to the card, but in reality, it doesn't matter much since it's a 1/1. Much like the Strasburg Superfractor there are no other cards to compete against it.

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
Yeah I do not get having the card graded. The value is in the card, not the grade. Even if it grades out a lower grade it demands a premium. Yes the conflict of interest is a big deal, but anyone that puts more emphasis on the grade than the card has something to learn.

Wes

OG
Administrator
RITM said:
Yeah I do not get having the card graded. The value is in the card, not the grade. Even if it grades out a lower grade it demands a premium. Yes the conflict of interest is a big deal, but anyone that puts more emphasis on the grade than the card has something to learn.

I doubt anybody is putting "more" emphasis - but the fact remains that a 1/1 that grades out 9.5 will have its value augmented. Plenty of examples of this.

bradical

Jun 21, 2009
LLWesMan said:
RITM said:

I doubt anybody is putting "more" emphasis - but the fact remains that a 1/1 that grades out 9.5 will have its value augmented. Plenty of examples of this.

I don't know if I buy it.

The value in a 9.5 graded card vs. raw card is so that the owner can show differentiation between their card and the general population of cards. If the general population of a card consists of 1, then I don't see how its value can be augmented. The value of the card is within in scarcity not its graded population, unlike other non-1-of-1 cards.

Wes

OG
Administrator
bradical said:
LLWesMan said:
RITM said:

The value in a 9.5 graded card vs. raw card is so that the owner can show differentiation between their card and the general population of cards. If the general population of a card consists of 1, then I don't see how its value can be augmented. The value of the card is within in scarcity not its graded population, unlike other non-1-of-1 cards.

The 9.5/10 graded card vs. raw card value is also in that the card is in wonderful/gem/perfect condition. It's not just about being better than other cards, it's also about being a singularly great piece. The Mona Lisa is a 1/1, but if I took a dump in a bucket and splashed it over her face, people (well most people :p ) are going to lower their bids - even if it's only a small percentage.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Condition aside, I think the thing that grates most people about this is how an obviously less than Gem card just happens to get a 9.5 grade when associated with a Beckett Auction, like others seem to...

Rickzcards

Sep 26, 2008
Sin City
Re: BGS Grades the Rodgers SPA Logo a 9.5 DURING the auction

Your right in your blog, of course Beckett is going to give a card that they are selling on consignment a gem mint grade. It helps line their pockets with more cash and takes honest judgement out of the equation. Had they given it the 9 or 8.5 it truly deserves then it would cost them as far as the ending price. Who needs ethics when cash is king?

Rickzcards

Sep 26, 2008
Sin City
bradical said:
LLWesMan said:
RITM said:

Doesn't matter if you buy it, there are others out there that do. The fact that it didn't garner any bids raw at $4k just proves it. Beckett knows this and threw morals and ethics out the window to maximize their cut, plain and simple.

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
Admittedly I know little about the auction. Is it that the card got no bids raw through an entire auction? Could have less about the grade and more about the timing.

Members online

Latest posts