Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Help please: how to evaluate cards for grading?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adam G

Jan 25, 2009
Hey guys, I've been buying singles for a few years and made some good money on prospects, but I'm certain I've left some money on the table by not submitting cards for grading. Problem is, I don't really know what to look for. Could you all give me some ways you choose which cards to send in?

SamHell

Jun 12, 2010
Texas
Get you one of these...
Omnigrid
R12.jpg

and of of these...
Lighted magnifying glass
312MY251JNL._SS500_.jpg

Edit to add one of these...
Lens cleaning cloth.
7916610614.jpg

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
If you have the time, I've heard that people scan their cards in high res and then look at them on a good computer screen. You can zoom in to the point that you can count pixels and get a pretty exact feel for the centering.

JTfor3

Mar 5, 2009
SamHell said:
Get you one of these...
Omnigrid
R12.jpg

and of of these...
Lighted magnifying glass
312MY251JNL._SS500_.jpg

Edit to add one of these...
Lens cleaning cloth.
7916610614.jpg

I assume the Omnigrid is for measuring centering...but how does it work. I've never seen one before.

SamHell

Jun 12, 2010
Texas
JTfor3 said:
SamHell said:
Get you one of these...
Omnigrid
R12.jpg

I assume the Omnigrid is for measuring centering...but how does it work. I've never seen one before.

I just place one of the lines over the border and count lines to the next border. Then I move over to the next border and do the same and get an estimate of how much its off. There may be more accurate ways to check but its quick and my wife already had one.
The lighted magnifying glass is great for corners, edges and surfaces. Defects pop right up. I believe mine is 4x magnification and cost about 10 bucks at Hobby Lobby.

Members online