Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Pack-released base-set containing the most active HOFers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Call me crazy, but I think you have to be retired to be in the Hall of Fame.

"Active" like getting busy with the ladies? Probably 1978 Topps. Just look at all those moustaches.

In seriousness, did you mean a recent base set with future HOFers, or just any set that has HOFers that are still alive? Not really sure what the question was.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
gracecollector said:
Call me crazy, but I think you have to be retired to be in the Hall of Fame.

"Active" like getting busy with the ladies? Probably 1978 Topps. Just look at all those moustaches.

In seriousness, did you mean a recent base set with future HOFers, or just any set that has HOFers that are still alive? Not really sure what the question was.

My guess is that he means "active at the time the set was released," as in not a retired product.

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
I would guess 92 bowman.

Rivera RC
Hoffman RC (not active, but not yet HOF)
Piazza RC (not active, but not yet HOF)
Ramirez 2nd year
Chipper Jones 2nd year (not active, but not yet HOF)
Frank Thomas 3rd year (not active, but not yet HOF)

Many others non-active HOF

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
I am going to guess an early to mid 1960's Topps issue. You'll have all the stars of the 1950s and early cards of 1960s superstars that made the HOF. It won't be anything within the last 30 years if I had to guess because the Veterans Committee put in some marginal guys that played during that era, whereas the modern Vet's Committee tends to be quite stingy.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
James52411 said:
I am going to guess an early to mid 1960's Topps issue. You'll have all the stars of the 1950s and early cards of 1960s superstars that made the HOF. It won't be anything within the last 30 years if I had to guess because the Veterans Committee put in some marginal guys that played during that era, whereas the modern Vet's Committee tends to be quite stingy.

Actually I believe that the greatest number of players in the HOF came from the 30s (I saw a chart when the last election results were released, I wish I could remember where). How big is the 33 Goudey set? Is it the biggest set of the 30s? I know that has a TON of HOFers in it.

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island
Mighty Bombjack said:
James52411 said:

Actually I believe that the greatest number of players in the HOF came from the 30s (I saw a chart when the last election results were released, I wish I could remember where). How big is the 33 Goudey set? Is it the biggest set of the 30s? I know that has a TON of HOFers in it.
33G set had only like 200 something cards, i would guess a 60s Topps set with like 600 cards mabey 69 Topps prob. like a couple a dozen Hofers.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Krom said:
Mighty Bombjack said:
James52411 said:

33G set had only like 200 something cards, i would guess a 60s Topps set with like 600 cards mabey 69 Topps prob. like a couple a dozen Hofers.

Yeah but the 200 best players is all you need. How many of the 400 more that Topps put out are HOF worthy, if you catch my question? The percentage of players that played in 1933 that are in the Hall is greater than the percentage that played in any year in the 60s, I've seen it charted.

There are easily 20+ HOFers in 33 Goudey.

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island
Mighty Bombjack said:
Krom said:
[quote="Mighty Bombjack":3cxv6r97]
James52411 said:

Yeah but the 200 best players is all you need. How many of the 400 more that Topps put out are HOF worthy, if you catch my question? The percentage of players that played in 1933 that are in the Hall is greater than the percentage that played in any year in the 60s, I've seen it charted.

There are easily 20+ HOFers in 33 Goudey.[/quote:3cxv6r97]
You might be right about the 33G set but i think there are more than 20+ there is alot! The 69 looks to have about 30 or more but the Goudey has a ton.

SamHell

Jun 12, 2010
Texas
Rough count of 25 HOF'ers that were active players in the 1960 Topps Set, one of which that went in as a manager. 1 HOF manager that has a card. I'm sure I missed one or two others.
Edit-Couple of more that are featured on coach cards.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I would think of the more current era (and more affordable for a typical collector), 1985 Topps probably is the set.

I seem to have counted about 34 future HOF's in that set among the players and managers. I might have missed some -- especially managers of the time who are HOFs but didn't come to my mind, or counted someone who might not have had a card in the set because of injury, but I really believe 1985 Topps probably is one of the more significant HOF sets that isn't composed of retired players.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I actually calculated something like that once. I was figuring the 'reach' of sets, as far as the tenure of the players it contained and the distance from their first and last active-playing-year cards. I think 1975 Topps had the biggest reach of the sets I looked at. It had a Hank Aaron card, whose RC was 1954, and it had Brett's and Yount's RCs, who played until 1993, so its 'reach' was 40 years as best I could tell. I think it also contained the most cards of HOFers (not counting the MVP subset or anything like that), but I can't recall any figures. But I only looked at sets from the 60s and 70s.

Actually, T-206 might be the answer. Tons of HOFers there, not even counting the multiple pose players. Hard to find packs of that, though.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
was 33 Goudey issued in packs? i know the T-206's were not

1982 Topps has 34 HOFers in its base set (Yas to Ripken)

1983 Donruss and Fleer Have 38 HOFers in their base set (Topps, (Fleer and Donruss did) did not have Stargell, or else they'd be here as well) (Yas to Sandberg)

tribefan26

Jul 7, 2010
smapdi said:
I actually calculated something like that once. I was figuring the 'reach' of sets, as far as the tenure of the players it contained and the distance from their first and last active-playing-year cards. I think 1975 Topps had the biggest reach of the sets I looked at. It had a Hank Aaron card, whose RC was 1954, and it had Brett's and Yount's RCs, who played until 1993, so its 'reach' was 40 years as best I could tell. I think it also contained the most cards of HOFers (not counting the MVP subset or anything like that), but I can't recall any figures. But I only looked at sets from the 60s and 70s.

The 1968 & 1969 sets had Mantle - which goes back to 1952 and Ryan - who went through 1994 - so they would have 43 years. We had another thread and I think we detemined that Ryans run from 1968 to 1994 was the single longest in Topps.

That now means that the 1994 set will pass it in 2011 with Topps cards of Thome, Ramirez, and others I've probably missed.