Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I got my friend hooked on graphing.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
My friend and I did a "3-day all out graphing road trip" which took us from Willmar MN where we met Danny Valencia, Matt Tolbert, and Dazzle Dan Gladden, to Mankato MN to meet Perk, Revere, Ploufee, Oliva, and for me, John Gordon, to TwinsFest where we met an assortment of players.

He has this bat he got at a promo Twins game in 2006. He started with Matt LeCroy, Bert Blyleven, and Juan Berenger on the bat, along with someone else who I can't match. Now his bat is filled up. He absolutely loves graphing (he isn't too much of a sports fan, but eh...).

We get to TwinsFest, and he is having a blast going through the free lines with me getting his bat filled up.

We parted ways for a bit on Saturday, and met up at the radio booth. John Gordon was finishing his broadcast, so I forced him to get the bat signed by Gordon. After that, he was following security and players around, asking for autographs (remember, he is new and doesn't know the ropes well). He came to Jim Kaat, who said "I don't know, you have to ask this gentleman over there" so he did, who said he had to ask another guy, who said yes. He got on the news for it, because local reporter Dawn Mitchell had just done an interview with Kaat, and had her cameraman with who were just eating the story up. He ended up on TV for it, and he was hooked.

Being that he LOVES American Pickers (he thinks he is one, and actually is to some extent), was going through vintage and came across a late-60's Topps foldout card/photo of Oliva, so I was telling him my TTM stories and he wanted to send it to Oliva. So now today he is asking me how to do TTM :D . I found all the info, told him how to do it, and the risks, and he sent it off.

It's cool to get a friend into the hobby. I am considering writing Mr. Kaat a letter thanking him for the generosity, because it means just as much to me that he signed that bat than it did for my friend, even though I didn't want to hound him for a signature.

Tedw9

Apr 1, 2010
TBTwinsFan said:
It's cool to get a friend into the hobby. I am considering writing Mr. Kaat a letter thanking him for the generosity, because it means just as much to me that he signed that bat than it did for my friend, even though I didn't want to hound him for a signature.

Sounds like you guys had a blast! It's always more fun when you can share your hobby with a friend, and it sounds like you will have a sidekick with you for all your graph chasing!

I think the idea of writing a thank you letter to Mr. Katt is a GREAT idea. He didn't have to sign and I am sure he would appreciate a thank you letter instead of another "sign this" letter.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Tedw9 said:
TBTwinsFan said:

Sounds like you guys had a blast! It's always more fun when you can share your hobby with a friend, and it sounds like you will have a sidekick with you for all your graph chasing!

I think the idea of writing a thank you letter to Mr. Katt is a GREAT idea. He didn't have to sign and I am sure he would appreciate a thank you letter instead of another "sign this" letter.

Yeah. I live in a town where I know of no one that shared my interests with me. To finally get someone interested in doing this was awesome for me. He really enjoys it too. It's great that I can share my interests with someone...

I do believe Mr. Kaat would love a letter. I rarely send out thank-yous, only to the ones that go above and beyond. If I get a chance tomorrow, I will go ahead and do that.

Of course, since I got him into it, I have to KEEP him into it. Gopher games are going to be my main focus.

We did have an amazing time! He went around and got his pic taken with a ton of the players, and was just into it. The Kyle Gibson line was very long and I don't think he enjoyed that, but hopefully the wait pays off for him.

abeabe

Oct 3, 2010
I actually think Gibson and Hicks will both be solid prospects for the Twins!! Glad to see more people getting into the hobby. Definately hit Pat Neshek TTM as he is one of the best signers!!

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
abeabe said:
I actually think Gibson and Hicks will both be solid prospects for the Twins!! Glad to see more people getting into the hobby. Definately hit Pat Neshek TTM as he is one of the best signers!!

I have 3 times :D

I will see if he wants to continue. It's kinda hard to be a grapher if you aren't a major baseball fan :lol:

I will keep pushing though... I am sure if he learned how to do it, he would be good at it.

Members online

Latest posts