Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Anyone have interesting stuff of local/family players?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Last night, I realized I had a few dollars in paypal, and I bought a 1996 Leaf Signature Extended Mike Kingery auto, because to my knowledge, it is his only cert.

I have had my eye on this card ever since I found it. The card itself looks VERY nice. It's from one of the most beautiful auto sets I have seen, and have a few random cards from the set just because I like it.

ANYWAY,

In our "area," we have 2 people that made it to the majors. Mike was one of them. He grew up in the same town my dad did, and the same town in where my grandparent's owned a diner. They told me a few years back that Mike would come in and order things from time to time before he went to the majors. After that (I was maybe in 3rd grade when they told me), I made my first trip to TwinsFest, where he was there. We had a nice conversation that started out with "Do you remember eating cookies at my grandparent's diner?" or something like that. The cool thing was, he did (I am sure my dad explained what I meant).

I have met him only once after, and I have a nice load of his autos. I had him sign TTM for me once as well.

I pick up some of his cards from time to time, and because he played in the mid 90's, I would love to collect him because I would be collecting a "90's player"

The reason I bought the cert was I just thought it was cool.

The other person was the Red Sox ROY in 1990 (not AL ROY, just the Team's) and had some potential, but you guessed it, he got injured. He is now the TV announcer for the St. Paul Saints and doesn't have a cert. My grandpa knows his parents pretty well, and his dad runs a small furniture shop where he takes GU Bats and makes chairs and things out of them. I was going to visit the shop but never did. The player's name is Dana Kiecker.

Mike and Dana are good friends (the last time I saw those two). The only time I saw them together was at a game in a nearby town (they took on Bert Blyleven :shock: ).

burke23

Nov 12, 2010
I have a jersey of my brothers from when he played with the Clippers for a little over a season (basketball I know...best I could do). I think my sister has the road jersey and I have the home from his first season.
pete

imac220

Aug 14, 2008
Central PA
I have a signed "dunk-a-roo" box of Anthony Lerew :lol:

My mom saw him at the grocery store, and asked him to sign it. I was in shock my own mother even recognized him :eek:

He is a hometown boy, but now is playing in Japan

tooly22

Feb 14, 2009
New Hampshire
I have an autographed game used bat and an autographed Japanese card from former Padres and Indians utility guy Greg Larocca. We played Little League together. I started over him at SS, solely because his foot was in a cast for the start of the season and my dad was the coach :D

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
imac220 said:
I have a signed "dunk-a-roo" box of Anthony Lerew :lol:

My mom saw him at the grocery store, and asked him to sign it. I was in shock my own mother even recognized him :eek:

He is a hometown boy, but now is playing in Japan

That's too bad he went to Japan. He was my first IP at a game. I can see the baseball he signed from right here!

KLARNOLD

Sep 17, 2008
Owensboro, KY
Owensboro, KY has had some famous people and pro athletes who lived here:
Johnny Depp
Florence Henderson
Mark Stuart (Audio Adrenaline - Christian Band)
Rex Chapman (NBA)
Nicky Hayden (MotoGP racer)
Jeremy Mayfield (NASCAR - I graduated with him)
Darrell Waltrip (NASCAR)
Michael Waltrip (NASCAR)
Jeff, Mark & David Green (NASCAR)
Kenny Willis (NFL - I grew up with him playing sports in our neighborhood)
Vince Buck (NFL)
Chris Brown (NFL)
Justin Miller (NFL)
Mark Higgs (NFL)
Kenny Higgs (NBA)
Brad Wilkerson (MLB)
Chuck Tanner & Tony Kubek use to play for the Owensboro Oilers in the mid 1950s.

I have a baseball and baseball camp shirt signed by Brad Wilkerson. I also have all of his Minor League & Major League Baseball cards from 1999 to 2001, except for these:

1999 Just Debuts Imagine Brad Wilkerson
1999 Team Best Rookies Gold Brad Wilkerson
2000 SP Authentic Brad Wilkerson FW
2000 SPx Brad Wilkerson/1600
2000 Upper Deck Pros and Prospects Brad Wilkerson PS
2001 Bowman Chrome X-Fractors Brad Wilkerson
2001 Bowman Gold Brad Wilkerson
2001 Bowman Multiple Game Relics Autograph Brad Wilkerson
2001 Team Best Brad Wilkerson
2001 Topps Chrome Escobar/Valent/Wilkerson
2001 Topps Chrome Traded Brad Wilkerson
2001 Topps Home Team Advantage Escobar/Valent/Wilkerson
2001 Upper Deck Rookie Update USA Touch of Gold Autographs Brad Wilkerson

zach daeges he is from a local high school (harlan ia), played at a local college (creighton) and was drafted by the red sox... so its really a hurricane of awesome! as far as what i have... big items are bowman red 1/1 game used pants (both from kc the board legend bungle77) probably 4 or 5 orange refractors, 2 or 3 gold refractors, 1 or 2 red refractors, and a few other auto'd items. cant give the actual numbers cause they are in a big big box under more big boxes with a cloth over them right now.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
notjomommasclint said:
zach daeges he is from a local high school (harlan ia), played at a local college (creighton) and was drafted by the red sox... so its really a hurricane of awesome! as far as what i have... big items are bowman red 1/1 game used pants (both from kc the board legend bungle77) probably 4 or 5 orange refractors, 2 or 3 gold refractors, 1 or 2 red refractors, and a few other auto'd items. cant give the actual numbers cause they are in a big big box under more big boxes with a cloth over them right now.

That's cool!

I might do a full run of Kingery cards (shouldn't be hard), as well as Dana (should be less hard).

TGutta

May 30, 2010
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Seth Blair is from the town I was born in and where a lot of my family lives. I have been picking up smaller stuff of his. Some for me and some for my family.

TomMurry

Jan 30, 2010
Eastern PA
I grew up with NFL WR Joey Galloway and have a few of his Gamers. I also have a Nate Davis 49ers gamer as I grew up with his brother Jose that played in the CFL for awhile. I have a Chad Brinker Jets gamer. We played American Legion Baseball together and on our same team was Jeremy Sowers, Pitcher for the Indians. I have a game used pair of his cleats, but no jersey yet.

Penno

Sep 5, 2008
Oxford, AL
I have Twins Prospects Ben Tootles Gym Shorts in my closet. Borrowed them for 8 years now, so I guess they are more of mine now.

Joshua.Roundtree

Mar 12, 2010
Clearwater, FL
I had the full run of 2002 Bowman Chrome Joe Jiannetti (RC SP ----> Gold Refractor) and a ton of dupes. Graduated with him Class of 2000. Played in the Mets system for a few years but never made it past High-A. Then played Indy League for a few seasons and was named MVP of his team or league, but never got another shot with an MLB organization and is now a waiter at the local Outback Steakhouse. Saw him there while having drinks with friends and knew where the cards belonged. Needless to say next time I visited the Outback I brought all the Jiannetti cards for him to see. He knew about the Base RC but hadn't seen any of the parallels and was particularly pleased with the look of the Xfractors. Left them all for him underneath the tip, I figured he could pass them out as he saw fit to other friends and family.

Another guy I graduated with (Evan Brannon) is now the "Head of Scouting: Florida" for the Tampa Bay Rays. Evan's younger brother Nolan caught for the Angels organization last year (AA) and his youngest brother Dale, played at UCONN, not sure if he's still there or not.

bowmanchromeandorr

May 23, 2010
Race City USA
I have my old HS crap with Todd Walker who played 13 years (2B) with the reds, rockies, cubs, red sox and padres. he was a year ahead of me in HS. My busted up knees from football kept me from going on in Baseball. My HS also produced Joey "Albert" Belle but he was a few years ahead of Todd and I.

jeff550

May 5, 2009
burke
Shawn Camp is a local guy, but I cant collect his stuff because he went to Robinson(rival HS). Sadly Lake Braddock dosent have anyone in the MLB, although we did have one guy make the NBA named Hubert Davis

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
There was a semi-pro team here in Roanoke in the early 1900's. I found cards of Ray Ryan and Shag Shaughnessy in the T206 set with the R on the jersey. I found out that Shaughnessy was also a local attorney and found an autograph, too.
T206RayRyanPSA4.jpg
T206ShaughnessyPSA4.jpg
FrankShagShaughnessyauto.jpg
On a more current level, I have purchased an autograph of Kevin Munson and have some cards to get him to sign in person. He played at JMU and is a kid I coached when he was in little league. He's in the Diamondbacks system.
Another local player, David Adams, played against my son when David was a sophomore and my son was a junior. David was good, but my son had learned to hit a curve off of me and singled in his only at bat against David. David is in the Yankee organization.

DANNY

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
burke23 said:
I have a jersey of my brothers from when he played with the Clippers for a little over a season (basketball I know...best I could do). I think my sister has the road jersey and I have the home from his first season.
pete

If you don't mind me asking, what is his name? That's pretty cool.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
One of my "relatives" played for the NY Football Giants for one season, and was with other teams. His mother and I talk a lot, and since we are the same height ( :eek: ) he has her send me a ton of his stuff... I don't have anything GU, but I have some cleats, some NY Giants shorts with his number and logo on them, a Giants pullover, and a Players Association shirt.

burke23

Nov 12, 2010
Skorris CCBC said:
burke23 said:
pete

If you don't mind me asking, what is his name? That's pretty cool.

You probably don't know him. Here's a pic of one of his cards. For some reason of his few cards, most seem to look like he is getting pushed from the back...kind of funny.
45ddf661-4d33-469d-a2bf-fb33d7da18e7.jpg

Members online

Latest posts