Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Need Help With Baseball Collecting..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brendenw

Jan 5, 2011
Fallsington, PA
Hey Everyone,
I recently got out of football, and i'm back into baseball collecting :D . I was wondering what should i pick up at the card show (in a month) With 250 dollars??? Please I need some help.. anyone what helps gets thanked.. I Collect The Red Sox's!
Thanks,
Brenden

Jared

Oct 22, 2009
You can start with singles of players or teams that you follow. You can't go wrong with that.

Gonzaleznut

Aug 9, 2010
Texas
Ignore cards of well established superstars and veterans. Instead, throw all of your money at players who have never played an inning past Double A in the hopes that they might beat the astonomical odds and become one of the players that no one wants to buy anymore.

The sarcasm is free.

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
Are you collecting anything specific?If not random purchases will useless when you figure out a focus.I suggest picking a focus and then directing those funds towards that focus.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
hofmichael said:
Are you collecting anything specific?If not random purchases will useless when you figure out a focus.I suggest picking a focus and then directing those funds towards that focus.

THIS!

and thanked

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
to expand on what Michael said.

Find something that YOU like/want to collect.
Take that something, and be the best at it that you can be.

There are SO many things that one could collect, do NOT get caught up in trying to have it all, it aint gonna happen.

There will ALWAYS be someone that has SOMETHING "better" then you do. thats the way that life works.

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
ThoseBackPages said:
to expand on what Michael said.

Find something that YOU like/want to collect.
Take that something, and be the best at it that you can be.

There are SO many things that one could collect, do NOT get caught up in trying to have it all, it aint gonna happen.

There will ALWAYS be someone that has SOMETHING "better" then you do. thats the way that life works.
Exactly.I collect Hall Of Famers from Topps sets.TBP collects graded rookies among a few other things.Those are our niches.Once you find something that interests you it will be easier to stay focused.
Mike

egon8

Aug 7, 2008
Yep, focus on one team, or a few players.
I collect White Sox team cards with a focus on Fisk and Pierzynski.
Going too large could get costly and overwhelming.
JMO

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Do what I do (if you are looking to flip to increase your buying potential). I buy rookie stuff of players who are around 21-24 who have already proven they can play in the bigs. The guys who are cheap because they are no longer prospects, but will explode in price if and when they get hot during the season.

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
Buy a Ty Cobb, Honus Wagner, or Babe Ruth card from his playing days.

Dont do it at a show unless you like to pay 150%-200% of the true value. eBay is best.

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
I see now you collect the Red Sox

Id say get the Rarest Ted Williams Rookie card!

....its 100X scarcer than the extremely common Play Ball card of the same year, and usually sells for less than 1/2. it is also far more attractive as well IMO
It was made by World Wide Gum (aka Canadian Goudey's)

....example of a high grade card, you can get one in VG/EX condition for under $250 if you take your time and dont need the card yesterday.
http://www.lelands.com/Auction/Auct...Williams-Canadian-Goudey-Rookie-Card?page=117

This card is a great investment and will take off more that the Play Ball card in the future, especially for the advanced collectors who dont want the run of the mill common every day stuff everyone else has 5 of.

They are very tough to find!

bodiaz

Jan 19, 2009
Buy as many Adrian Gonzalez autos and rookies that you can get your hands on. He is going to mash in that park, and in that lineup! His numbers will be scary, and now that he is in a baseball market, his cards will reflect this.

Members online

Latest posts