Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Another PSA 10 Registry CRAZINE$$ example

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Re: Another PSA 10 Registry CRAZINESS example

Can someone post the winner's ID? Or at least their feedback score?

Wondering if a guy I know won it

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008

Jeff N. said:
hofautos said:
I bought this last week for $39
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... MEWNX%3AIT

This just sold for $4200
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... hFDkQ%253D

Also, note the red banners ::facepalm::
Mine is centered just as nice L-R, and imho overall better eye appeal.

It's horribly centered T-B...

of course it is...that's why it was $39. My point is I would rather have that $39 card with nice and proper colors than the $4200 card with the miscolored orange banners...

the point of the thread isn't to suggest mine is worth more...the point of the thread is that $4200 for a "psa 10" is craziness, especially with bad coloring.
"Serious collectors with deep pockets will pay BIG BUCKS for rare high grades in PSA slabs" MODERN or OTHERWISE.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL

BGS and PSA are both a joke when it comes to giving "Gem Mint" grades to mis-centered cards. I can honestly I'd rather have a centered NrMt 7 than that card. Come to think of it, a 7 grade is exactly what that "10" should have received. ::facepalm::

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI

funny. :lol:

In a sad way

The $39 card is closer to the true value of a nice 1974 Topps Schmidt.
1974 cards are a dime a dozen.

20 years ago those 2 exact cards would have been $25 and $40

in 20 years when the registry hype has dissolved, the values will be much closer too.

Mike Schmidt :? uh OK

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI

Wow, good call, the card is definitely "Diamond Cut" and the red color is borderline print defect to me.

cant believe its a 10, ...............a 10 needs to be PERFECT in EVERY SINGLE WAY!

PS. I take it back, 20 years ago the OP's card would have brought more $$. His superior color exceeds the slight o/c top to bottom.

Being extremely anal on T/B centering is a recent phenomenon.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008

I wonder at time of grading if it is possible that the banners were red, but then the card sat on top of a stack on a desk near a window in the sun for a few years, causing the discoloration?

zach

Aug 7, 2008
Evil Empire
With set registry collectors, a population of 4 certainly is a big factor in the price.

To each their own.....I guess.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
Just a quick note

The fact that one companies cards of a specific nature sell for more than another companies has no bearing on the grading company has little bearing on the grading company as a whole. Grading isn't supposed to be a cash grab, sadly thats what many people use it for. Grading SHOULD be used to safeguard online purchases these days so that you have an accurate understanding of what you are buying when you can't hold the card in your hand.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
^^^ The main reason people spend big bucks on psa graded cards is the registry. The collectors with deep pockets that use the registry try to complete their registry collection in the highest possible grade. they are essentially buying the little paper label more than the card itself, which is clear in the example of this thread, and when these type collectors want something, they bid to win. $4K to many of these type collectors is "chump change". Consider WASSA, people thinks he spends crazy money on those supers, but it's literaly just loose change to him.

There are a ton of registry collections, but the most popular are either classic sets or BIG NAMES (e.g. griffey, arod, schmidt, bench, nolan, ripken, rose, etc...)

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Chris, i couldnt have said that any better then you did. kudos!

as for The Registry People. As has been mentioned, money is easier for them to obtain then the cards they want in the grade they want.

easier to make/get more money then it is to buy card x in grade y

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
ThoseBackPages said:
Chris, i couldnt have said that any better then you did. kudos!

Maybe I misunderstood what chris was saying but by reading this statement

>>The fact that one companies cards of a specific nature sell for more than another companies has no bearing on the grading company...

I TOTALLY DISAGREE.
The serious collectors with the deep pockets that bid the crazy high prices are a direct result of the grading company...more specifically PSA registry.

But reading Chris's entire sentence, I couldn't even understand what he said?? The sentence wasn't phrased very well, so maybe I misunderstood him.

BOTTOM LINE - There is no way EVER, that Schmidt would sell for even $1000 let alone $4000 in a BGS or SGC slab. The only reason it sold so high was because of the PSA slab and the registry, which is the point I was trying to make in the thread.

Members online