Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Thoughts on Elite /5 Auto prices?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008
What do you guys think about Elite autos of guys who have Chrome autos as well? Id like to get a nice Elite auto /5 but the guy has a Chrome auto too. I have not seen a lot of sales on these and wonder how the Elite auto /5 would sell compared to Chrome autos.

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
MallCopKJ said:
What do you guys think about Elite autos of guys who have Chrome autos as well? Id like to get a nice Elite auto /5 but the guy has a Chrome auto too. I have not seen a lot of sales on these and wonder how the Elite auto /5 would sell compared to Chrome autos.

I understand what you are going through-I struggle with buying Elite /5 autos when a guy has a chrome auto. I always try to be conservative, and if the /5 Elite is a good price, I scoop it up-but I don't overpay for them. With that said, I am strictly a prospector and not a player collector-so that makes it different possibly.

What are base chrome autos selling for, of your guy? Let me know, and I'd be happy to say what I would then pay for an Elite auto /5.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
First off, I think it makes a small difference if the Elite came before the Chrome (i.e., the player had an 09 Elite and 10 BC) because there are some out there who believe the first card is the true RC. Just worth mentioning.

I think a fair comparison for an Elite gold /5 auto is somewhere around an Orange Ref Auto /25. For lesser players, it might be closer to the price of a Gold Ref Auto /50. For bigger name players, there are more people buying so it's not out of the question for the price to move closer to that of a Red Ref Auto /5 (although the Red Ref /5 will almost always outsell the Elite /5).

The bottom line is that it's tough to put a value on rare cards like this. That can ultimately help you if you list BIN/BO because you may find that someone is willing to pay more than you expected for it.

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008
hail2thevictors said:
MallCopKJ said:

I understand what you are going through-I struggle with buying Elite /5 autos when a guy has a chrome auto. I always try to be conservative, and if the /5 Elite is a good price, I scoop it up-but I don't overpay for them. With that said, I am strictly a prospector and not a player collector-so that makes it different possibly.

What are base chrome autos selling for, of your guy? Let me know, and I'd be happy to say what I would then pay for an Elite auto /5.

Thanks man. The Chrome base autos are going for $40-$50

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
First off, I think it makes a small difference if the Elite came before the Chrome (i.e., the player had an 09 Elite and 10 BC) because there are some out there who believe the first card is the true RC. Just worth mentioning.[/b
]I think a fair comparison for an Elite gold /5 auto is somewhere around an Orange Ref Auto /25. For lesser players, it might be closer to the price of a Gold Ref Auto /50. For bigger name players, there are more people buying so it's not out of the question for the price to move closer to that of a Red Ref Auto /5 (although the Red Ref /5 will almost always outsell the Elite /5).

The bottom line is that it's tough to put a value on rare cards like this. That can ultimately help you if you list BIN/BO because you may find that someone is willing to pay more than you expected for it.

Good point, I had not thought of it that way.

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
MallCopKJ said:
hail2thevictors said:
MallCopKJ said:

Thanks man. The Chrome base autos are going for $40-$50

Hmm, that makes it kind of difficult. This past May, I bought a Mike Trout gold status Elite auto for $210 via auction. At the time, I honestly can't remember what his chrome autos were at-I want to say in the $20's. So, with that example $400ish is probably fair-but that is only from the Trout example.

To be honest, there is no set multiplier or card to compare /5 elite autos to. They are so volatile, depending on the player you are buying. The nice thing about the /5 elites is that should the player make the bigs, or get to the level of Trout/Myers/etc, having a /5 card is a big thing in my opinion. At that point, if the guy is hot, you have a very rare card-so the price could be great for you.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Back in the day this cost me $285. His stuff was going for a lot more back then...

scan0062.jpg

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
You also have to consider that it is possible to run the table and get all 5 of them, this could push the price
up very high, if you came across two collectors, one who had to have one for a collection of his and the other
looking to close out all 5. I think even the idea of owning a majority of them would push prices up.

Kevin

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
My experience is that the #/5 Elites don't bring the same money even for the Gold Refractor Autos out of Bowman.

I own 2 of the 2010 Elite Jameson Taillon Gold Elite Status Autos #/5. Average price for the 2 was a little over $200 bucks apiece.

The BC Blues are getting close to bringing that.

burke23

Nov 12, 2010
morgoth said:
My experience is that the #/5 Elites don't bring the same money even for the Gold Refractor Autos out of Bowman.

I own 2 of the 2010 Elite Jameson Taillon Gold Elite Status Autos #/5. Average price for the 2 was a little over $200 bucks apiece.

That could largely be because they are both 2010 cards, right? I assume if the Elite Gold is from a year before the bowman its probably closer to the value of an Orange or Red?

caltek3

Jul 5, 2009
california
i got a mike trout gold status auto /5 graded bgs 9 with a 10 auto....and was really wondering what price point to start out on a bin or best offer...thinking about listing it but did not want to over price it. any thoughts on what it might pull in?

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
burke23 said:
morgoth said:

That could largely be because they are both 2010 cards, right? I assume if the Elite Gold is from a year before the bowman its probably closer to the value of an Orange or Red?

Yes they are the same year, so yes if the Elite were older than the BC I do think the value would be much higher.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
morgoth said:
burke23 said:
morgoth said:

Yes they are the same year, so yes if the Elite were older than the BC I do think the value would be much higher.

I'm curious as to when you bought your golds? It was only about a month ago that Taillon's Gold Ref Autos were only getting $165 or so, and then they quickly shot up to $200+.

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
I bought my 2nd Elite Gold Auto end of last month. They are the only two to have been run on Ebay. The two Red BC Autos brought about 800 each.

I just find it funny that the Blue BC Ref Autos are pushing $200 now. I should of bought my Gold and Oranges earlier but funds were being too spread out at the time and he IMO really just took off sometime in Jan.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
morgoth said:
I bought my 2nd Elite Gold Auto end of last month. They are the only two to have been run on Ebay. The two Red BC Autos brought about 800 each.

I just find it funny that the Blue BC Ref Autos are pushing $200 now. I should of bought my Gold and Oranges earlier but funds were being too spread out at the time and he IMO really just took off sometime in Jan.

Yeah I had a chance to pick up a gold for $165 but wanted to hold out for a better-centered one. Ended up paying $200 for one with about the same centering but it was #50/50 though. Oh well, still pretty happy with the price.

morgoth

Jul 2, 2010
Yeah I am prepared to get ***** for one now.

I hope that because he will start in (A) West Virgina (based on early reports on blog sites) he will be somewhat forgotten about after next years draft and he will experience a price dip.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
This is what I paid for the most recent of my guy. $35 for EEE /5 auto in 08 eee, $22 for gold ref /50 auto in 08 BDP. Back around release I paid roughly 60 for the /5 and 45 for the /50.

Russ S.

Aug 10, 2008
VA / DC / MD
mredsox89 said:
This is what I paid for the most recent of my guy. $35 for EEE /5 auto in 08 eee, $22 for gold ref /50 auto in 08 BDP. Back around release I paid roughly 60 for the /5 and 45 for the /50.
Wish I had cheap guys I collect. :cool:

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
I paid roughly 2.5x more for the BC Red #/5 vs the EEE Gold #/5 for Sanchez. But since another EEE went for roughly 1/2 the BC Red.

Members online

Latest posts