Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The FCB Top 25 Prospects in Sports Cards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
Jaypers said:
I don't think anyone will give you Hell for that list. ;)

I expect fans of Dustin Ackley and Hellickson to do so. I don't like what I have seen of Ackley, and I think Hellickson has a low ceiling.

Both just missed.

Yes, I like Gibson and Miller better than Hellickson

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Aren't Gibson and Hellickson like the same person? I thought Gibson's ceiling was that of Hellickson, to be honest. Maybe I'm asleep at the wheel. Gibson looks like a pitcher and has some extra inches, but I sorta see that negated by his minor injury.

What are we projecting out of Gibson? I think Hellickson is terribly undervalued by the *prospecting* community, and a bit overrated by the *baseball* community. They're both #1B or 2s, no?

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
pigskincardboard said:
Aren't Gibson and Hellickson like the same person? I thought Gibson's ceiling was that of Hellickson, to be honest. Maybe I'm asleep at the wheel. Gibson looks like a pitcher and has some extra inches, but I sorta see that negated by his minor injury.

What are we projecting out of Gibson? I think Hellickson is terribly undervalued by the *prospecting* community, and a bit overrated by the *baseball* community. They're both #1B or 2s, no?

Gibson was the best pitcher from his draft class not named Strasburg. IMO, he's seriously underrated right now. As far as Hellickson goes I have been wrong before, but I've seen him pitch a few times and just don't see a star.

I see someone who excels early, but gets knocked around as people know more about him.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
cgilmo said:
pigskincardboard said:

Gibson was the best pitcher from his draft class not named Strasburg. IMO, he's seriously underrated right now. As far as Hellickson goes I have been wrong before, but I've seen him pitch a few times and just don't see a star.

I see someone who excels early, but gets knocked around as people know more about him.

I really don't know what your expectations are for Hellickson. Control guys (although he did touch 94-95ish) with three-to-four good pitches don't seem to bring the buzz. Of course it's a small sample size, but there's basically no reason to believe that Hellickson can't maintain around a 4ish K:BB.

Pitchers that keep their K:BB above 3 succeed. There's basically no if, ands, or buts.

Fastball-Change guys never get hyped. I think as Hellickson develops and works his fastball around a bit more, he'll be very good.

Then again, Danny Haren is one hell of a pitcher but gets no hobby love.

I just Gibson at his best looking pretty similar to Hellickson, other than plane.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
cgilmo said:
pigskincardboard said:

AKA Zach Duke?

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
markakis8 said:
cgilmo said:
pigskincardboard said:

AKA Zach Duke?

Big Difference.

K-Rate.
BB-Rate.
LOB%
HR/FB.
and about 4mph.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
pigskincardboard said:
markakis8 said:
cgilmo said:
pigskincardboard said:

AKA Zach Duke?

Big Difference.

K-Rate.
BB-Rate.
LOB%
HR/FB.
and about 4mph.

Jaret Wright and Livan Hernandez

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks for putting this together.

I have no gripes about excluding Ackley as he still has a lot to prove to doubters, and the defense and base-stealing is still work in progress. But in the same respect, why Tim Tebow is so high?

I'm assuming his cards have been hot sellers since they came out although he hasn't shown any glimpses of greatness at the pro level that some of these other NFL and NBA guys have. As mentioned, he's the most polarizing figure on the list but he's also the least talented at his craft. I'm sure there are tons of Tebow-fanboys but I wouldn't put him in the top-10 of NFL youngsters much less top-10 of all sports.

f2tornado

Aug 14, 2008
Grand Forks, ND
chompsmcgee said:
But in the same respect, why Tim Tebow is so high?

I'm assuming his cards have been hot sellers since they came out although he hasn't shown any glimpses of greatness at the pro level that some of these other NFL and NBA guys have. As mentioned, he's the most polarizing figure on the list but he's also the least talented at his craft. I'm sure there are tons of Tebow-fanboys but I wouldn't put him in the top-10 of NFL youngsters much less top-10 of all sports.

I'm not on the Tebow bandwagon but keep in mind the guy didn't get an opportunity to start until the end of the season. It is hard to show greatness when you don't get much of a chance to display it. Tebow is popular but also has a lot of doubters. If Tebow proves even a fraction of the doubters wrong there will be significant upside in his card prices. I've never thought of Roethlisberger as a highly skilled QB but gotta give the guy credit. All he does is win. That is exactly what Tebow did in Florida. One nice thing with Tebow cards is there isn't huge risk. If the guy was carted off the field with a career ending injury the first game of next season there will still be a fair number people looking for his autograph. If the same type of injury happened to Dez Bryant his card prices would completely collapse. Writing this has tempted me to purchase some Tebow cards.

sdsportsfan1214

Aug 14, 2008
San Diego
cgilmo said:
This list isn't a talent evaluation. It's about current and potential. Tebow has a higher ceiling than anyone in sports.
debateable id think a baseball player would have a higher ceiling then a football player like a Montero or Harper

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
sdsportsfan1214 said:
cgilmo said:
This list isn't a talent evaluation. It's about current and potential. Tebow has a higher ceiling than anyone in sports.
debateable id think a baseball player would have a higher ceiling then a football player like a Montero or Harper

The top end in other sports have and can outsell baseball players. Hockey has as much dollars per card on the high end than any sport.

sdsportsfan1214

Aug 14, 2008
San Diego
cgilmo said:
sdsportsfan1214 said:
cgilmo said:

The top end in other sports have and can outsell baseball players. Hockey has as much dollars per card on the high end than any sport.
That is true with the crazy prices that have been seen from non baseball guys like say Lebron and Crosby. I guess im just not sold on Tebow ever reaching anything above a decent quarterback

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
sdsportsfan1214 said:
cgilmo said:
sdsportsfan1214 said:
cgilmo said:

That is true with the crazy prices that have been seen from non baseball guys like say Lebron and Crosby. I guess im just not sold on Tebow ever reaching anything above a decent quarterback

That is why he is 10 and not 1

Wes

OG
Administrator
cgilmo said:
sdsportsfan1214 said:
cgilmo said:

If Harper becomes the best player in baseball that will change. I'm gonna piss a lot of people off and play the race card and say that if Albert Pujols was white his cards would sell for a hell of a lot more than they already do. As irrelevant as things like race, size and looks are in baseball, they have a measurable impact on hobby values. See: Miguel Cabrera vs. David Wright 2008 pricing.

f2tornado

Aug 14, 2008
Grand Forks, ND
LLWesMan said:
cgilmo said:
If Harper becomes the best player in baseball that will change. I'm gonna piss a lot of people off and play the race card and say that if Albert Pujols was white his car to be a cards would sell for a hell of a lot more than they already do. As irrelevant as things like race, size and looks are in baseball, they have a measurable impact on hobby values. See: Miguel Cabrera vs. David Wright 2008 pricing.

White guys, black guys all get hobby love. Griffey might be the most collected player in history. Cabrera is a wife beating ****** bag. Perhaps that hurts his value. I think it has more to do with U.S. born players versus Latin/Caribbean imports. There is a hometown hero factor. I'm comfortable stating half the allure of Joe Mauer in Minnesota is Joe Mauer being from Minnesota.

Members online