Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Pujols talks not going well

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zach

Aug 7, 2008
Evil Empire
scotty21690 said:
Looks like this season Pujols is going to enjoy watching baseball from the stands.

The Yankees can use him if he wants to start pitching :lol: .

He'd probably be better than a few they have now.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
zach said:
scotty21690 said:
Looks like this season Pujols is going to enjoy watching baseball from the stands.

The Yankees can use him if he wants to start pitching :lol: .

He'd probably be better than a few they have now.
What, you mean Mark Prior isn't going to be a Cy Young contender this season? ;)

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
Orioles signed Derrek Lee to a 1 year contract because they plan on making a serious run at Pujols. I overheard a drunken Andy MacPhail screaming this as he was being thrown out of a bar in Fells Point.

ahill1

Aug 7, 2008
mudflap02 said:
Orioles signed Derrek Lee to a 1 year contract because they plan on making a serious run at Pujols. I overheard a drunken Andy MacPhail screaming this as he was being thrown out of a bar in Fells Point.

Same reason the Cubs signed pena to a one year deal

rico08

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles
If Pujols is such a charitable guy he should take less $ to stay in St. Louis. He won't find a much better team to play for anywhere else.

PujolsCollector

Jan 17, 2011
St.Louis
The Cardinals are insane if they don't sign Albert so what hes going to be 41 when the contract is over Bonds played into his 40's. This would be Albert Pujols's last big contract they are only going to pay him for 10 years. 30 million a year to lock up the best player that i have ever seen play the game is not to bad in my opinion. If the Cardinals do not sign Albert I will love to watch albert casually jog around the bases after a 456 foot hr to left center feild with him in a Mets/cubs uniform at Busch Stadium.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
rico08 said:
If Pujols is such a charitable guy he should take less $ to stay in St. Louis. He won't find a much better team to play for anywhere else.
While I think the money being discussed is crazy (10 years @ $30 million/yr), looking at some of baseball's most expensive contracts over the years...he's not on there once.

Since 2001, you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who put up the numbers that he did...all at the "hometown discount." So, statistically he is at the top of the game...and has been for a decade, yet financially he's never seen a top 50 single season salary. Never. I also don't believe that he has ever had a top-10 salary in the National League...yet for 10 straight years, he has been in the top-10 in almost every single hitting category.

Does he deserve that kind of money? No, but I don't think anyone does. However, if he is one of baseball's truly elite players, I think he should be paid that way. Of course, his future won't be as bright as his past, performance-wise, so if he truly is "looking for his" at this point...his bargaining chip isn't that great.

If this is solely posturing on his part, or the Cardinals, they don't deserve each other.

maxpower

Jan 6, 2010
rico08 said:

What does charity have to do with it? Cardinals ownership hard up for cash? Can't put food on the table? At last count, the net worth of Cardinals ownership was $4,000,000,000.

Charity is about serving the less fortunate, not about padding the profits of billionaires. Anyone who lives in the St. Louis community knows better than to question Albert Pujols' generosity. He does plenty for the community.

$300 mil is a huge contract, and we can legitimately talk about whether Pujols is worth that to the Cardinals organization. But let's not dumb down the conversation by making it about Pujols' character. His desire to sign a market value contract isn't something he should feel ashamed about, particularly in a country where we celebrate the free market.

aarne13

Oct 15, 2008
The Permian Basin
Hmmmm. The Jays have unloaded a lot of money these past few years (Wells, Rios) so they might be set up to spend some loco money for Pujols.

Ryan The Orange

Mar 30, 2010
St. Louis
St. Louis will erupt if Pujols leaves (like in Cleveland with LeBron).

Life would go on, and I would get over it. Heck, the Cardinals have only made the playoffs once since their WS Championship, and they got swept. If they don't make the playoffs this year, what's the point of paying him $30 million a year? Then we couldn't afford any supporting players (i.e. starter number 5 and a decent 2B and SS).

I think it would be interesting if AP signed with the Royals, his home town. Of course, that is a .000001% chance of happening, but still interesting to think about.

I want him to stay as much as anyone else, and he is the best player in the Major Leagues, but winning is the priority. A good starting pitching staff with two hitters won't win a championship.

maxpower

Jan 6, 2010
gilbert said:
St. Louis will erupt if Pujols leaves (like in Cleveland with LeBron).

Life would go on, and I would get over it. Heck, the Cardinals have only made the playoffs once since their WS Championship, and they got swept. If they don't make the playoffs this year, what's the point of paying him $30 million a year? Then we couldn't afford any supporting players (i.e. starter number 5 and a decent 2B and SS).

I think it would be interesting if AP signed with the Royals, his home town. Of course, that is a .000001% chance of happening, but still interesting to think about.

I want him to stay as much as anyone else, and he is the best player in the Major Leagues, but winning is the priority. A good starting pitching staff with two hitters won't win a championship.

It's interesting because much of the debate seems to center around Pujols vs. a championship. It's a decent possibility that if the Cards let him walk, they'll end up with neither and I think that's the fear that most worries ownership. Even with $300 million (if they do choose to actually spend the money and not pocket it), there's no guarantee that they'll be able to build a World Series winner.

I thought Ken Rosenthal did a great job of fairly summing up the negotiations:

- The Cardinals are making a sincere attempt to deal, but they're not as financially strong as large market teams.
- Pujols has been paid below market value in every year of his career so far, and has never complained about being underpaid.

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
There is a certain year/figure amount in which the Cardinals are better off w/o his greatness.

He isn't bigger than the organization and in my book he is 100% about the money and should have kept his mouth shut during the Larussa/Rasmus debacle....

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
There is a certain year/figure amount in which the Cardinals are better off w/o his greatness.

He isn't bigger than the organization and in my book he is 100% about the money and should have kept his mouth shut during the Larussa/Rasmus debacle....

Members online

Latest posts