Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Who's buying Mike Trout?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
I'm just curious, at current prices who are the people buying Trout cards? Surely it can't be the smart prospectors out there since we're the ones selling to these people! :lol:

So, who are they? Angels fans? Baseball fans with no knowledge of prospecting/card prices?

Enlighten me please! lol

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
People here are buying him, they just aren't admitting it.

There were plenty of people here buying Strasburg at the peak too, yet no one fessed up.

I'm assuming that the people who are silent about buying into people at their peaks, are the same prospectors who claim to have never had a prospecting miss where they lost money on a player.

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN
This is NOT Mike Trout's peak. I promise. There is meat left on the bone, and I think refractor autos are a deal at 120-125 (chromes are 80-90, and Xs are around 2 bens), and sure to rise.

Smart people who have lots of extra $ to tie up are buying him, and they WILL make money. I'd put money on that (see what I did there?).

It's not over.

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
200lbhockeyplayer said:
People here are buying him, they just aren't admitting it.

There were plenty of people here buying Strasburg at the peak too, yet no one fessed up.

I'm assuming that the people who are silent about buying into people at their peaks, are the same prospectors who claim to have never had a prospecting miss where they lost money on a player.

True, true...that certainly could be the case. But, do people realize that Trout is ticketed to AA this season? So, why are you buying at these ridiculous prices when he's unlikely to touch a MLB field until Sept. at the earliest? This is not a Heyward situation where "he has nothing left to prove in the minors". Trout has plenty left to prove in AA especially.

I just find it comical but WILL continue to sell to these people until I run out of Trout's to sell. Now, don't get me wrong, I think he's a great prospect and has a bright future but not at these prices.

If you're really into Trout, I would wait till he's down in Arkansas with no publicity whatsoever and his prices will decline a bit (not much)...then have at it!

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
aminors said:
This is NOT Mike Trout's peak. I promise. There is meat left on the bone, and I think refractor autos are a deal at 120-125 (chromes are 80-90, and Xs are around 2 bens), and sure to rise.

Smart people who have lots of extra $ to tie up are buying him, and they WILL make money. I'd put money on that (see what I did there?).

It's not over.
heyward.jpg

"Ya'll need to listen to this aminors guy."

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
aminors said:

It's not over.
How much money do you think "smart people" are angling to make here?

If Trout starts the season in AA instead of another run at High-A, we probably aren't going to see any power numbers, and he'll be facing better pitching than he has so far.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Umm, Jason Heyward was ticketed for Atlanta...Trout isn't nearly that close to Anaheim. Heyward was also hitting for power, Trout has not.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
200lbhockeyplayer said:
aminors said:

It's not over.

If Trout starts the season in AA instead of another run at High-A, we probably aren't going to see any power numbers, and he'll be facing better pitching than he has so far.

Ironically, you're quoting one of the fools who claim they've never lost money prospecting

Very good assessment, Mike

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
200lbhockeyplayer said:
Umm, Jason Heyward was ticketed for Atlanta...Trout isn't nearly that close to Anaheim. Heyward was also hitting for power, Trout has not.

I think buyers are all banking on the actual release of the BA 100 list.

blazers091

Dec 7, 2008
common baseball fans who watch mlb network. trout doesn't have any power and is not close to even being in the MLB this year. he's not the next heyward that's for sure.

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
jbhofmann said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:

I think buyers are all banking on the actual release of the BA 100 list.

Do you really think that Trout base chromes would hit $150 when the BA is released? I mean that's the only way buyers at current levels would "profit" when ebay and paypal fees are taken into account. I just don't see it hitting $150 anytime soon...if ever.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
aminors said:

It's not over.

You may be right that he'll continue to rise, but I'm gonna have to disagree with the bolded.

Smart people were the ones who bought early last year or at 09 BDP's release for $20 per Refractor Auto. These people should have long since sold out.

I agree with the OP 100%, I just don't really understand who is buying right now. Where do these people expect his cards to go? They're not going to just continue to rise arbitrarily, especially when the season starts and people realize that Trout is overrated.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
blazers091 said:
common baseball fans who watch mlb network. trout doesn't have any power and is not close to even being in the MLB this year. he's not the next heyward that's for sure.

He isn't Heyward. However, Heyward was named #1 last year on "The List". Apparently everyone thinks Trout will be as well. That is the only comparison.

I think another thing to think about is fluidity. These uber-hyped guys are very fluid cash opportunities. Say you buy raw, graded well, you can sell the card easily because the masses know who he is.

Just a thought.

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN
JoshHamilton said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:
aminors said:

It's not over.

Ironically, you're quoting one of the fools who claim they've never lost money prospecting

Very good assessment, Mike

This fool has a spreadsheet to prove it. Screenshots coming when I get home. I guess it's just terribly hard to believe. I've only been in the game for like a year and a half, probably less, and haven't spent as much as most people have.

Anyway..ATH I agree that it was wise to buy back then. I also agree that there is meat left on the bone. It may not even be who he is, but WHAT he is (probable ba #1) that will drive prices up farther.

Maybe you guys think I'm talking about Trout as a long term investment..? No. At this point, I'm talking about buying for short term (ST hype, BA announcement).

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
aminors said:

It's not over.

You may be right that he'll continue to rise, but I'm gonna have to disagree with the bolded.

Smart people were the ones who bought early last year or at 09 BDP's release for $20 per Refractor Auto. These people should have long since sold out.

I agree with the OP 100%, I just don't really understand who is buying right now. Where do these people expect his cards to go? They're not going to just continue to rise arbitrarily, especially when the season starts and people realize that Trout is overrated.

Smart people aint touching him right now. Refs a deal at 120. I thought the smart people bought them at 25.00 smart people are selling them now and 400-500% profit. If trout does not show power that card will not be over 100 very long.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
jbhofmann said:
blazers091 said:

He isn't Heyward. However, Heyward was named #1 last year on "The List". Apparently everyone thinks Trout will be as well. That is the only comparison.

I think another thing to think about is fluidity. These uber-hyped guys are very fluid cash opportunities. Say you buy raw, graded well, you can sell the card easily because the masses know who he is.

Just a thought.

Heywards cards jumped up cause he was in ST and played lights out and continued to do so in the bigs. He got off to a hot start. Trout is not gonna make the team and the odds that he makes a heyward esque typle splash is tough to bank money on. Trout was a smart buy last year at this time not now.

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
A lot of collectors and people who are just getting wind of Trout because of the media are buying Trout now. They may just want to buy him now because they still think that he is at a bargain, instead of paying $150 + for an auto later. Obviously a serious prospector would be dumb to buy him now.

Also, media coverage this spring training will have a lot to do with him hitting $150 this year or not. If he tees off in AA this year, I think there is no doubt he'll hit $150 by September.

aaron41984

Jun 22, 2009
I remember thinking I had lost it when I was paying $30 per on BC ref autos. I had so much Trout stuff. Oh well. At least I have a little left.

Members online

Latest posts