Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cal Ripken Jr. (something different)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Russ S.

Aug 10, 2008
VA / DC / MD
Stripe on the pants leg.

Please never put CAL RIPKEN and "In Pinstripes" in the same sentence again. EVER.
Made me side to my stomach. :evil:

ripken2131_8

Feb 4, 2011
Savannah, GA
Interesting card. It definitely looks like a pinstripe, but I'm hoping like heck that's actually a piece of pants, and not a *gasp* pinstriped jersey. This image has a good view of the stripe down the leg of the home jerseys.

orioles-flat-brim-party.jpg

ripken2131_8

Feb 4, 2011
Savannah, GA
Just because it says jersey doesn't mean it says jersey. I've seen a 2003 Flair Cut of History "Pants" card that had an orange swatch! No team in MLB has orange pants, so it had to be jersey. I bid on it, but it went for more than I was willing to go. I still think it's likely an Orioles pants seam.

autocut

ripken2131_8 said:
Just because it says jersey doesn't mean it says jersey. I've seen a 2003 Flair Cut of History "Pants" card that had an orange swatch! No team in MLB has orange pants, so it had to be jersey. I bid on it, but it went for more than I was willing to go. I still think it's likely an Orioles pants seam.

Knowing what i know about this product, I'm almost positive it is from a Braves jersey (either chipper jones or andruw Jones), but put my money on chipper jones.

autocut

bigalbert said:
Heres a pic of a pants seam.
scan011101.jpg

Yes and you see how thick it is versus the pinstripe on the Ripken Final Cut. I interviewed the product manager of the 2001 Fleer Genuine product and he said the set used the last/left overs from jerseys that didn't fit into other products. So, I'm thinking some jersey pieces got mixed up. Some patch pieces even warped the cards.

autocut

ripken2131_8 said:

If you bid on it, then someone must have relisted t. Its on the bay now.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 97.c0.m619

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
autocut said:
bigalbert said:
Heres a pic of a pants seam.
scan011101.jpg

Yes and you see how thick it is versus the pinstripe on the Ripken Final Cut. I interviewed the product manager of the 2001 Fleer Genuine product and he said the set used the last/left overs from jerseys that didn't fit into other products. So, I'm thinking some jersey pieces got mixed up. Some patch pieces even warped the cards.

Keep in mind I'm looking at a tiny pic on my phone screen but is the pic you posted from an auction or do you have the card in hand? From the original pic, it looks like the white on the right side of the black stripe is actually the card stock of the cut-out window and not white jersey. What I'm saying is does the angle of the picture make it appear as though the stripe is thinner than it actually is and the stripe may extend under then cut out window?
Did the Braves ever wear pinstripes?

KLARNOLD

Sep 17, 2008
Owensboro, KY
ripken2131_8 said:

w4UjlKJ79fpBkgNsNwVL5_kLyptCTQfZ7PTQEfyb_ohGKA&t=1.jpg

ept_sports_mlb_experts-50960341-1281793862.jpg

Members online