Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Learned something new today player collectors: 1998 Pinnacle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Wow, I spend a lot of time with 1990's cards and never heard about this. Kinda cool I got to add two new Grace cards today for just 30 cents each.

1998 Pinnacle was printed with 3 different backs, season statistics, home statistics and away statistics. I checked mine and have the season stats. The home and away stats variations were available from Burbank on beckett.com.

I just ordered them. Anyone have scans of the variations in their PC?

notoriousrmb

Aug 7, 2008
Above Ground
Wow never knew! I checked my Lankford collection, has the Away version in my collection and went back through my doubles box and found the Home. Looks like I need the Season stats now!

lankford1998.jpg

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Glad I could help at least one other person. Can't believe I've never seen this mentioned before. Thanks for the scans. The "Seasons Stats" doesn't say anything, just has full stats.

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
I want to hurt somebody now !!! i will have to go through my Pirates ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm::

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
face-icon-small-mad.gif

no '98 Pinnacle for me

cussing.gif

docdw25

Aug 6, 2009
Had these already in my collection. Onionring9 told the McGwire collectors about these sometime last year.

b-253.jpg
b-6464.jpg
b-6463.jpg

carrsallstars

Sep 16, 2009
I recall first hearing about it here somewhere on FCB...as it turns out I had 2 of the 3 already. COMC is good for these singles as you get to see scans of the backs...
98pinnacle-1.jpg

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
Another variation from that thread was the 1998 collector's choice. Note the UD sticker in the bottom right.

1998CollectorsChoiceUDLogo.jpg

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
Fandruw25 said:
Another variation from that thread was the 1998 collector's choice. Note the UD sticker in the bottom right.

1998CollectorsChoiceUDLogo.jpg

Was this base set and was it the whole set?

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I learned the same thing when I was searching Beckett Marketplace for Olerud's a couple of weeks ago, and actually learned about it from Burbank listings too! I figured it was probably already discussed here somewhere. Incidentally, I only have the "away" stats version.

With the addition of the 1998 Collector's Choice variation to this thread, it got me thinking that maybe it'd be good to have a sticky thread for this type of thing. I know there are already threads for "errors and variations", and for "cool 1990's inserts", but it'd be nice to have one thread dedicated to 1990's variations since there has been a lot of discussion about them in a couple of other threads.

- Rod

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
I'm such an idiot. Why I didn't think to look in my doubles box is beyond me. I checked my list, and saw that I had two 98 Pinnacle doubles. I dug them out, and - what are the odds - one was the Home and one was the Away. Of course, after I placed the order. ::facepalm::

98PINNACLEVARIATIONS.jpg

While I had the box out, I checked my old Donruss, and found that I had the 89, 90, 91 and 92 Donruss "Inc" and "Inc." variations. (Back copyright can be found both with and without a period after (Year) Leaf, Inc).

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
gracecollector said:
While I had the box out, I checked my old Donruss, and found that I had the 89, 90, 91 and 92 Donruss "Inc" and "Inc." variations. (Back copyright can be found both with and without a period after (Year) Leaf, Inc).
Brad, don't forget that '89 actually has 4 variations:

*denotes - INC and *denotes - INC.
donruss89SingleAsteriskINCnodot_B217.jpg
donruss89SingleAsteriskINCwithdot_B217.jpg

*denotes* - INC and *denotes* - INC.
donruss89DoubleAsteriskINCnodot_B217.jpg
donruss89DoubleAsteriskINCwithdot_B217.jpg

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
TNP777 said:
gracecollector said:

Thanks for the reminder. I remember seeing those scans before. Turns out I had all four.

89DONRUSSVARIATIONS.jpg

Anyone remember which year Upper Deck (89, 90, 91?) had the variations with and without copyright line on back? Might as look for those while I got the boxes out.

thelesquad

Dec 6, 2008
TNP777 said:
gracecollector said:

So there is an INC with *Denotes* version? I've got the other three. Time to search for that last one.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts