Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Worst Top 10 Prospects You've Bought Cards Of...?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
In no particular order...

Ron Jones

Ricky Jordan

Mike Lieberthal

Mike Durant

Mike Costanzo

Buck Shaw

Lou Marson

Joe Savery (until I saw him pitch in Clearwater, then I ditched what I had)

Phillippe Aumont (ditto)

and, as much as I like the guy from a personal level, I put a ton of money into him thinking he'd be a fireballing starter, and that didn't work out... from a purely monetary loss amount . . Scott Mathieson.

Edit: You mentioned top 10 prospects. Well, most of these guys other than Buck Shaw were Phillies Top 10 prospects at one point in time. Sorry if I screwed up your post.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Jeff N. said:

Might not wanna give up just yet. I'm thinking he'll be better at his new job than his old one.

sebpoo

Aug 7, 2008
Montreal, P.Q.
Jeff N. said:
In no particular order...

Ron Jones

Ricky Jordan

Mike Lieberthal

Mike Durant

Mike Costanzo

Buck Shaw

Lou Marson

Phillippe Aumont (ditto)
and, as much as I like the guy from a personal level, I put a ton of money into him thinking he'd be a fireballing starter, and that didn't work out... from a purely monetary loss amount . . Scott Mathieson.

Edit: You mentioned top 10 prospects. Well, most of these guys other than Buck Shaw were Phillies Top 10 prospects at one point in time. Sorry if I screwed up your post.

Was he that bad ? I'm asking because i collected him for a while and i still have some nice cards of him (He is a local guy, was highly touted so i invested...).
He seemed completely lost in 2010. Good thing he's heading back to the bullpen, he looks more as a closer than a starter.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Maybin

And was Ron Wright ever Top 10? I just found a brick of 250 '95 Bowman rookies. I bought them for $375

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
JoshHamilton said:
Maybin

And was Ron Wright ever Top 10? I just found a brick of 250 '95 Bowman rookies. I bought them for $375

Back when Beckett's guide was relevant, I remember Wright's Bowman RCs ('96, not '95) selling in the $6-10 range.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
I can honestly say that I don't believe I've ever purchased a card of a Top 10 Prospect...ever. I've made some bad calls, but I'm typically a dumpster diver on prospects.

My question is, "Where are the silent Alex Rios, Corey Patterson and Brandon Wood purchasers?"

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Jaypers said:
masonphillip said:
I saw you posted and I knew it would be Einy!

And where are yours? Put up or shut up. :cool:

Ekstrom and Kown aren't top 10 but they were horrible buys.

Hicks was top 10, has performed ok but I have been pwned by Razor.

1. Michael Ekstrom - owned 6 2006 Bowman Chrome Gold Refractors and a Red 1/1 - ugh
2. Andrew Kown - same story as Ekstrom but I bought about 300 base chromes, bad bad bad.
3. Razor Metals - in spite of a guy like Hicks still be highly regarded, this sold for nothing last night [phil:3dlnl6kp]300520598715[/phil:3dlnl6kp] and I have 3 more like it.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
200lbhockeyplayer said:
My question is, "Where are the silent Alex Rios, Corey Patterson and Brandon Wood purchasers?"

Is Alex Rios the same as Alexis Rios? The guy with the 2002 Elite rc? I bought one for $90, once

Brandon Wood? You mean the guy with the 40-something home run season that convinced me to sell the savings bonds (some prematurely) that my grandmother had purchased for me? To buy a PSA 9 for $125, a PSA 9 refractor for $175, and a PSA 9 X for $230?

Happy, Mike?

UGH

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Wilkin Ramirez made me money when he homered in his first MLB game and I should have stepped away, but I bought some more when he got sent back down. Oops. Now he has a chrome auto so my 06 Sterling Gold Refs #/10 won't even be his biggest card if he ever figures out how to avoid striking out in a third of his ABs.

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
JoshHamilton said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:

Is Alex Rios the same as Alexis Rios? The guy with the 2002 Elite rc? I bought one for $90, once

Brandon Wood? You mean the guy with the 40-something home run season that convinced me to sell the savings bonds (some prematurely) that my grandmother had purchased for me? To buy a PSA 9 for $125, a PSA 9 refractor for $175, and a PSA 9 X for $230?

Happy, Mike?

UGH

End thread. Wow that sucks.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
200lbhockeyplayer said:

They're not here. Most FCB prospectors only ever sell at the right time.

I pulled a Rios Elite right near the peak ($125ish). Being a Jays collector, I didn't sell it. It's now firmly entrenched in my "Best RC of Every Jay" binder but the other two I picked up a couple of years later for $30 or so are still gathering dust.

Halonut

Aug 7, 2008
I have quite a few Brandon Wood's still but in 2005 I sold off 2 base BCDP autos which paid for the entire investment. Still have 3 base (paid $8-10ea), 1 Refractor (traded a live base for this redemption) and 1 Xfractor (paid $19 dlvd upon release). When it comes to prospecting this is what i usually do. I don't buy into every Angels' prospect, just those I feel have a shot of seeing some time with the big club. I get in early and usually sell off some dupes if/when they get hot which more often than not covers my initial investment. I have plenty of cards of once top prospects which I couldn't give away now (Kotchman, Mathis, Wood, etc.). I am certainly not in the black on all of the prospects that I have followed but I have been able to have fun with it and build a nice collection...after all, it's a hobby.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
JoshHamilton said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:

Happy, Mike?

UGH
I just remember the greedy bastards waiting for the Rios Elites to reach a $100 more before they were going to sell. I laughed a lot quietly, and some out loud. That was a prospecting blood bath of epic proportions. And as for Brandon Wood, it's amazing what one huge season will do for a player in the Cal League.

But seriously, sorry that you got hammered on that deal.

Anyone remember the member of either BMB or FCB (perhaps both) who turned down something like $7500 for a Felix Hernandez 1/1?

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Amazingly, I lost interest in modern shortly after and sold the Woods for a loss of $50 or so total. I'm just pissed I sold off the bonds

I have no problem admitting sportscard stupidity, because I blew my entire high school graduation money on 7 oz of gold. At $280/oz. I'm still holding

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts