Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The coolest PC item I've seen in years on eBay - 3 auto 7x11

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Okay, rarely do I find Dick Porter stuff that I don't have...very rarely. Over the years I've found signed contracts, game-used bats, store issue bats, signed index cards, photos, clippings, the standard cards (34 Goudey, 33 Tattoo Orbit, 34 World Wide Gum, etc), but this was listed yesterday.

rubefront_0001.jpg
[ebay:3e7zch7r]140510007293[/ebay:3e7zch7r]

The seller listed it as "JSA Tiny Thompson, Rube Walbey, Dick Porter Signed Pic" with a $1200 BIN. Of course, "Rube Walbey" is Rube Walberg and I've since messaged the seller, so hopefully it will end up in a Boston fan's collection.

Porter was only on the Red Sox for 79 games, so his Sox photos are fairly rare.

So, will I be adding this to my collection? Nope. I'm not in a position to drop that for a piece that should probably be valued at $500 max.

Anyway, just wanted to let those other player PC collectors out there...sometimes you just have to walk away. Even though you'll probably never see it again.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
beefycheddar said:
He really looks like Herc from The Wire in that pic.
Having hockey Hall of Famer Tiny Thompson makes it a cool oddball piece...especially for someone like me who loves vintage hockey and collects Dick Porter...but I can't touch it at that price.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
tonsofcommons said:
Is it just me, or does Dick Porter's "D" look a lot like Derek Jeter's "D"?
He didn't always sign the "D" that way, nor did he always use quotes around "Dick" but it's obviously an earlier fountain pen signature.

He died in 1974, and was a longtime fan favorite wherever he played/managed...so he signed a ton.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
beefycheddar said:
Here you go Rob. And on a side note, my dad said the same thing when we were watching an episode of "The Wire."

herc-porter.png

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
James52411 said:
Hopefully this is a situation where the seller will come back to you when the offers he hopes for do not come in.
With that pricetag, I'm thinking he's into it for a lot more than he should be.

While the photo is cool, none of the three autographs are even remotely valuable, with Porter and Walberg in the $15 range, and Thompson probably around $30.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
morgoth said:
Is the photo an original or AP? that could give it a little more value.
It's an original photo no doubt as you can tell by the aging and the pen type.

When I valued it at no more than $500, I took the photo into consideration as the most valuable part of the equation.

At $500, it would mark the most expensive Porter piece in my collection...in fact...more expensive than two dual signed minor league managing contracts, a 20's era game-used bat, a 30's era store bat, and the 2009 Upper Deck SP Legendary Mystery Cuts 1/1 signature combined.

Do I want this in my collection? Absolutely, but I just can't do it for that kind of money. My dad would go nuts seeing this (NOTE: half I of Dick Porter stuff I pick up goes to him as Dick helped "raise" my dad hunting and fishing on the Eastern Shore of MD.)

-
-

UPDATE: I did find a copy of this same 7x11 photo that went unsold in a Classic Auctions auction with a starting bid of $100. It listed Tiny Thompson and two unknown Red Sox. Although not noted as an autograph, the Tiny Thompson signature appears on the unsold version. So, while the photo may be rare, it clearly isn't rare enough to generate too much value.

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
200lbhockeyplayer said:
beefycheddar said:
Here you go Rob. And on a side note, my dad said the same thing when we were watching an episode of "The Wire."

herc-porter.png

Awesome, he even has a hat that fits like Herc would wear in the original pic.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
Sweet piece Mike. Its already discounted down to 972, maybe the seller will continue to come down in price. Have you asked if he would take a BIN on it?

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
This bad boy has been on a weird BIN pricing roller coaster.

It started at $1200, the dropped to $972, and it's now back up to $1500. My guess is that someone messaged him if he would take $972, so he dropped the price. The buyer backed out and the seller returned the price to where he thought it was initially.

It's still awesome and even more outrageously priced at $1500. On a side note, if the seller is looking to field offers, I'm not sure why no BIN w/BO is set up.

And Chris, while I think at $500 I would consider it, it would still be overpriced in my opinion and under-priced in the eyes of the seller.

Members online

Latest posts