Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Raw vs Graded Card Market?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

autorook

Jan 30, 2011
California
I'm quite new to the whole idea of grading (BGS and PSA) but I've noticed on ebay typically see a 50%-100% increase on near mint graded cards.

So my question is why don't more people do it? Wouldn't you want to protect your investment?

Thanks

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
The only premium on modern cards is a gem mint grade - either BGS 9.5 or PSA 10.

Anything less (mint 9s and lower) will probably not sell for much (if anything) over a raw card of similar look.

autorook

Jan 30, 2011
California
Can't you pay for a BGS Review to make sure a card grades 9.5 or better? Seen quite a few plastic covered on them online of them.

f2tornado

Aug 14, 2008
Grand Forks, ND
Bear in mind the cost of grading does reduce those margins. This includes submission fees and shipping to and from the grader. Further, most modern non gem grades will further reduce overall margin. A frequent submitter can lose without a good eye for detail.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
autorook said:
Can't you pay for a BGS Review to make sure a card grades 9.5 or better? Seen quite a few plastic covered on them online of them.

But then you end up paying $15 for a slab, half to cover the RCR, half to actually get it slabbed.

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I primarily collect vintage and will only purchase graded cards on ebay. I don't buy them because of the "investment" as I don't look at these things as an investment. I buy them so I can be a little more relaxed about the card not having been altered in any way. Just one of those things that bugs me is someone toying with a card to get an upgrade. It's still not 100% but still better than guessing. With that said, there are a couple of vintage dealers online that I have no problems buying raw.

bdal23

Aug 7, 2008
Here's why I haven't graded. I have had bad luck at grading in the past. Very poor percentage of 9.5. I am going to give it another try as I haven't graded anything in over a year. So I have been keeping a large stash. I do get upset in that it seems like a great deal of cards I'm selling raw are grading gem mint. Hopefully I have a higher percentage this next sub.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I've always thought the more rare the card the less important it is to have it graded, but then again I believe grading is ridiculously subjective to begin with anyway.

I completely understand the authentication/protection slabs offer though and may pay a small premium here, I'd like to get many of my cards authenticated/protected with a slab.

autorook

Jan 30, 2011
California
uniquebaseballcards said:
I've always thought the more rare the card the less important it is to have it graded, but then again I believe grading is ridiculously subjective to begin with anyway.

I completely understand the authentication/protection slabs offer though and may pay a small premium here, I'd like to get many of my cards authenticated/protected with a slab.

I especially see that cards that are serialed to 5 or 10 or whatever sell for almost 50%-100% more which more than covers the cost of grading.

Like someone mentioned above you need to have a great attention to detail when sending something for grading as anything less than BGS 9.5 will significantly drop the value.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
autorook said:
I especially see that cards that are serialed to 5 or 10 or whatever sell for almost 50%-100% more which more than covers the cost of grading.

Like someone mentioned above you need to have a great attention to detail when sending something for grading as anything less than BGS 9.5 will significantly drop the value.

Someone who knows what they're doing and wants to pay 100% more for a graded/highest graded modern card #/5 has a special type of addiction IMO :lol:

Members online

Latest posts