Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Spring Training Hype (does it exist?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

autorook

Jan 30, 2011
California
First time I am planning on selling quite a few of my box breaks in anticipation for spring training (Machado, Taillon, J. Sale, C. Sale, etc.).

Historically how have you guys done during the month of April?

AKA Coastal

Aug 7, 2008
I would list them leading up to spring training if they are hot (on prospects list). Invites don't always get a lot of playing time. Just a taste. Don't bank on them tearing up spring training.

bdal23

Aug 7, 2008
The first week of ST will see the biggest spikes. I remember Josh Bell hit 2 hrs in a spring game. Bam his stuff skyrocketed.
Just like the first week of the real baseball season you see some big jumps as well

rainmanesq

Aug 31, 2008
yes, it exists...but time it carefully b/c today's omg, he's THE JESUS/G-O-D is tomorrow's "who?" or "doh, i should've/could've sold BEFORE ST ended"

w/that said, this ST is the year of THE G-O-D....MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSETACOS :lol:

bdal23

Aug 7, 2008
Not ST hype but the biggest early season hype goes to Chris Shelton. A few years ago I had a BGS 9.5 Gold refractor I paid $30 for it. 2-3 weeks into the season I sold for $350.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
rainmanesq said:
yes, it exists...but time it carefully b/c today's omg, he's THE JESUS/G-O-D is tomorrow's "who?" or "doh, i should've/could've sold BEFORE ST ended"

w/that said, this ST is the year of THE G-O-D....MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSETACOS :lol:

MOUSSSSSS

I wish I still had more left, but still enough to stack paper.

skrip

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Any time there is a heavy focus on baseball there is a nice chance for a spike. Throw in the fact that in Spring hope springs eternal and people are (overly) optimistic, and the stats can look extremely gaudy after just a few games, and there's a lot to like as far as hoping for nice spikes.

imac220

Aug 14, 2008
Central PA
Sell Montero now?

I bought an X-Fractor Auto for $80 1 minute after it was listed a month ago, and according to the last X-Fractor auto sold, I could double my money

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
There's really no reason anything will go down between now and the start of spring training. Hype is building and no one is playing, which means they can't do anything bad on the field to hurt their prices.

The only way I would be selling now is if you could be making a huge profit and don't care about trying to get absolute top dollar for your card. That said, I'll be listing a ton of stuff of top prospects in the next couple weeks.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
There's really no reason anything will go down between now and the start of spring training. Hype is building and no one is playing, which means they can't do anything bad on the field to hurt their prices.

The only way I would be selling now is if you could be making a huge profit and don't care about trying to get absolute top dollar for your card. That said, I'll be listing a ton of stuff of top prospects in the next couple weeks.
I think you may be giving the market too much credit. At times it does not need a "logical" reason for an item to jump or fall. It could be a couple of people boosting prices now. If the price is right, I always say to take it.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
AKA Coastal said:
I would list them leading up to spring training if they are hot (on prospects list). Invites don't always get a lot of playing time. Just a taste. Don't bank on them tearing up spring training.

Unless they are named Fernando Martinez.

rainmanesq

Aug 31, 2008
Whether to sell now or not depends on what you have into the card + whether you think you can perfectly time the market (I have yet to meet THAT magical G-O-D who can consistently do that). For example, I’ve sold some Freddie, betances, + moose recently b/c I had bought in @ ridiculously low prices (as in I can sell now + quadruple/more my investment) + unless they have OMG AMAZING (as in HOF worthy) performances in ST/are called up to the majors immediately, honestly, I don’t see their prices rising much more. Seriously, if you had bought an 07 EE Moose Au 9.5 for $18 + saw that 1 just sold tonight for $105, wouldn’t you take THAT cash NOW?

I’d rather take some decent cash now + re-invest it into cheaper/lesser hyped guys….who may by the time ST happens, get a shot or may have some early hype. Sometimes, people get too greedy for their own good. Cash pays bills; cards don’t. Today’s ‘omg, CAN’T fail’ prospect can easily be ‘really? Man, that dude STANK it up in ST/WHY did they call him up/rank him in the top 10 prospects?’

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
ALL_THE_HYPE said:

I agree. I already plan on listing my Trout autos leading into the first week of spring training.. probably right after the BA list comes out.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts