Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Grading cards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
I'm guessing this thread has probably been done before, but I haven't been around here very long and I don't feel like searching for it.

Yes, I'm a prospector... and I don't like graded cards. I know, sounds stupid and like something that person that isn't into investing would say. I know that I could make more if I did grade my stuff but I just don't like the way cards look slabbed and I think the process of grading can be a real pain in the ass. Some of my friends do it and swear by it, but I'm old school. The only way I can get slabbing is if you are dealing with vintage, condition sensitive cards.

Not to mention I've had bad experiences with sellers who have tried to hike the price on raw card on me because they "thought" that it would grade at 10, like I gave a rat's as.s anyway.

What do you guys think? Am I alone here among investors?

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
ThoseBackPages said:
i think youre leaving a lot of money on the table.

your genre of choice is all about the 9.5

And I get that, but I try to look at it realistically and cannot understand the importance of grading a condition of a card that was just pulled out of a pack. I know that no two cards can be alike and some come out of the pack in better shape than others. But it seems real nitpicky and I can't say that I like hearing stories about people paying to have a card graded that looks in good shape only to have it come back an 8 or 8.5 and then tear the plastic open and sell it raw anyway.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
when selling high dollar cards on ebay (to people that arent that "smart" when it comes to prospects), the slab gives you (as the seller) a good amount of protection against buyers remorse, and them filing a "not as described"

Selling a raw card to the same person leaves a lot of possibilities to a charge-back "not as described" and paypal finding in their favor

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
I'm personally against the shady aspects of grading, but it is a realistic part of this hobby if you are a seller, cause you WILL get a lot more money for your cards if you slab.

My general rule of thumb-

If it's for my PC, I won't grade it if it's raw.

If I intend on selling a card one day, I grade it if I feel it has a shot at being gem mint. This helps to complete a transaction more easily since there can't be a dispute about a cards condition.

I DO purchase graded cards and raw cards for both my PC and for resale.

Slabs can hurt someone if hurled at them at fast speeds, use with caution.

It's okay to believe grading is a crock if it can get you more money, even with the re-submitting BS.

Never judge a card's condition by it's grade - always purchase the card, NOT the grade.

It's easier to crack a psa slab than a bgs slab.

Jesus Montero is over-hyped on these boards.

And finally, know your grader - you will get better grades. Slipping in an extra Benjamin with your cards will assure higher grades - try it, it works.

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
brouthercard said:
I'm personally against the shady aspects of grading, but it is a realistic part of this hobby if you are a seller, cause you WILL get a lot more money for your cards if you slab.

My general rule of thumb-

If it's for my PC, I won't grade it if it's raw.

If I intend on selling a card one day, I grade it if I feel it has a shot at being gem mint. This helps to complete a transaction more easily since there can't be a dispute about a cards condition.

I DO purchase graded cards and raw cards for both my PC and for resale.

Slabs can hurt someone if hurled at them at fast speeds, use with caution.

It's okay to believe grading is a crock if it can get you more money, even with the re-submitting BS.

Never judge a card's condition by it's grade - always purchase the card, NOT the grade.

It's easier to crack a psa slab than a bgs slab.

Jesus Montero is over-hyped on these boards.

And finally, know your grader - you will get better grades. Slipping in an extra Benjamin with your cards will assure higher grades - try it, it works.

Solid post

autorook

Jan 30, 2011
California
brouthercard said:

Tell me the last one is a joke right? :lol:

Members online

Latest posts